Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

    So does any body know where to get the videos of the semi final match and can we here a replay of George calling the games? Please advise!

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Roy View Post
      So does any body know where to get the videos of the semi final match and can we here a replay of George calling the games? Please advise!
      http://www.ncaa.com/video/icehockey-men/2017-03-25/diii-men-ice-hockey-semifinal-trinity-norwich-fullreplay
      Go 'Wick!

      Comment


      • Re: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

        Originally posted by jerrynu26 View Post
        I believe Williams ended the year with a much higher SOS than Oswego, so it should have been better to play them..
        Not necessarily. Williams SOS only goes into the equation at 1/3rd...2/3rds is your opponents winning percentage, which Oswego's was quite a bit higher than Williams.
        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10
        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" Joecct
        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
        GO LAKERS!!!
        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
        Oswego State '09

        Comment


        • Re: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

          Originally posted by KRBFLINT03 View Post
          Is Norwich "good" yet?
          After watching both games over the weekend from the glass of section 101, I would say that the Cadets won the weekend on Friday night. Adrian had 14 players 6'1" or over, 11 at 200lb +, skated very well for their size, and outpassed the cadets all evening. The picture of Piancentini flanked by two Adrian players (both head and shoulders above him) was the size story in a capsule. Our hustle and good goaltending made up for all of it. Adrian was, without a doubt, the tougher game.
          Last edited by peddler; 03-27-2017, 07:02 PM.
          The "Miracle" was winning the Gold Medal Game against the Finns. I'm biased, I was there.

          Comment


          • Re: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

            Originally posted by KRBFLINT03 View Post
            Is Norwich "good" yet?
            If you had paid attention, instead of being "angry", it was never about good, or not. It was about HOW good
            The "Miracle" was winning the Gold Medal Game against the Finns. I'm biased, I was there.

            Comment


            • I wonder what kash is saying about this past weekend? 😉
              Go 'Wick!

              Comment


              • Originally posted by peddler View Post
                If you had paid attention, instead of being "angry", it was never about good, or not. It was about HOW good
                And if you had paid attention, you'd know that my post were directed at someone specific when we had a "debate" about the caliber of this year's team back in December. If you had paid attention 12 months ago, you'd know why I was angry. I had countless arguments about the state of the program, trying to counter the knee jerk reactions of a bunch of "fans". In 2015-16, Norwich was struck by an injury bug the likes of which I haven't seen. Add the Niezgoda situation to the equation and they had a down year - by our lofty standard. When that team was at full strength, they blew out Wesleyan and Plattsburgh and went to OT with the defending national champs (Trinity). Trying to point that out to a bunch of keyboard athletes who were convinced that Norwich had been caught up to and/or passed by was an absurd exercise. I attempted to use logic, reason, and even history to back up my points, but was met with a gaggle of Chicken Littles (the sky is falling!). So, yeah, I've been angry about a few things.

                Prior to joining this forum, I was never a big "I told you so" guy, but some of you folks have really brought it out of me. In the spirit of that sentiment, I'd like to note that I posted, on this message board, that the 2008-09 team lost 8 games (along with the leading scorer), made an early exit from the conference tourney, and rebounded to win the national championship (with only one loss) the following season. Man, you should've read the ridicule that statement drew! However, here we are. Rebounding from a 8 loss season to win a national championship, with only one loss.

                Maybe instead of picking a fight with a fellow Norwich fan, you (and others) should pay attention when someone might actually have some insight and know what they're talking about. It's not about stats, records, SOS, or any other crap. It's about using your eyes to evaluate a team, and most importantly, it's about the guys in the room.

                So finally, peddler, to reiterate, my snarky "Is Norwich good yet?" posts were directed, with iron sights, on those who challenged my statements months ago. I knew the Cadets were very good then, and I was told they couldn't be. The trophy I saw today validates my opinion.

                Shout out to NU Pastime, Old Rook, and others for embracing my "style".

                Comment


                • Re: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

                  Originally posted by jerrynu26 View Post
                  I wonder what kash is saying about this past weekend? ��
                  The thought came to my mind also

                  Especially since PurpieGold10 now is the Norwich SID
                  2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                  2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                  2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                  2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by jerrynu26 View Post
                    I wonder what kash is saying about this past weekend? 😉
                    You suppose kash and Cadet Crosby got together up stairs to watch the game? Now that would have been fun to see.

                    Comment


                    • Re: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

                      Originally posted by 802Hockey View Post
                      +1

                      Let's not forget how we handed it to Plattsburgh in the second game...especially the third period..and have lost on some fluky goals as well. Has this team been great? No, in fact I will say at times this season they have looked sloppier than I have seen a Norwich team play (I've been spoiled as a fan as I started attending around the Keith Aucoin era). But they have also shown resiliency and fight, as well as playing with some very tough competition.

                      To be honest, this right here (http://norwichathletics.com/sports/mice/2012-13/roster) is something that interests me. Notice all the players that came in with Dean. Now Dean sits alone...In past Championship teams it always seems like we have a very solid group of seniors. We don't always have a group of powerhouse goal scoring seniors but even if they lack in skill, they usually make up for it with leadership and pushing the team to fight through. I believe this is part of the struggles this year as well. Yes, we have a great group of Juniors, but I think we could use some more Seniors fighting for that last run.
                      Since we are on the 'i told you so' train. That group of Juniors turned into the perfect Seniors.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by 802Hockey View Post
                        Since we are on the 'i told you so' train. That group of Juniors turned into the perfect Seniors.
                        +1

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by 802Hockey View Post
                          Since we are on the 'i told you so' train. That group of Juniors turned into the perfect Seniors.
                          "Perfect Seniors" more accurately describes the Plattsburgh Women's Hockey class of 2017, who graduate with a 20-0-0 career postseason record.

                          ...at least 1 of whom has revealed today that she has declined an invitation from USA Hockey to play in this year's World Championships #Solidarity


                          *Note: I post this in jest, and do not wish to detract from the accomplishment the Cadets earned this weekend.
                          Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                          SUNYAC Champ x23: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17
                          ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                          NEWHL Champ x2: 18, 19
                          NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                          NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                          NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82


                          Vermont CATAMOUNTS
                          HEA Runner-up x1:
                          08
                          ECAC Runner-up x1: 89
                          ECAC DII Champ x2: 73, 74
                          NCAA DI Frozen Four x2: 96, 09

                          Comment


                          • Re: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

                            Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
                            "Perfect Seniors" more accurately describes the Plattsburgh Women's Hockey class of 2017, who graduate with a 20-0-0 career postseason record.

                            ...at least 1 of whom has revealed today that she has declined an invitation from USA Hockey to play in this year's World Championships #Solidarity


                            *Note: I post this in jest, and do not wish to detract from the accomplishment the Cadets earned this weekend.
                            haha you are correct sir. That is quite an accomplishment. Quite the program they have built.

                            Comment


                            • Re: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

                              Hey Puck Voice. Is there any way to here a replay call of yours of the game? Thanks

                              Comment


                              • Re: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

                                I wasn't going to respond, but what the heck actually nothing personal here. I think we both were misunderstand each others points.

                                Originally posted by KRBFLINT03 View Post
                                And if you had paid attention, you'd know that my post were directed at someone specific when we had a "debate" about the caliber of this year's team back in December.
                                Partially agree. A few of the posters felt Norwich was good, but wanted to see how they would do against good competition. It wasn't so much a debate of how good Norwich was, but how good their opponents were. (UMB and Babson specific). When Plattsburgh went on their 2nd half run, they really had not played anyone good at 6-0-1. Williams and Buff State both at home maybe. I stated I reserved my true opinion until they played in Oswego and at Geneseo.

                                That was my only statement about Norwich after UMB and Babson. We knew they were good, but they hadn't played anyone yet to tell us how good. I also said if they went 4-0 after break I'd say they were back, they did, and exactly why I mocked people who wanted to question their legitimacy based off of their schedule.

                                Originally posted by KRBFLINT03 View Post
                                If you had paid attention 12 months ago, you'd know why I was angry. I had countless arguments about the state of the program, trying to counter the knee jerk reactions of a bunch of "fans". In 2015-16, Norwich was struck by an injury bug the likes of which I haven't seen. Add the Niezgoda situation to the equation and they had a down year - by our lofty standard.
                                Again, 100% agree. Very few programs can have the lofty expectations like Norwich. I would say Oswego, SNC, and maybe Adrian now are on the short list with Norwich. Yes many programs want it, but few can say the expect it. Norwich is/was not going to become Middlebury. It was these same "fans" who I considered the bandwagon dumpers. Lose a game to Skidmore, the sky is falling. Beat UMB, oh my god we're going back to the Norwich dynasty. That was my original mock. I applaud you for locking at the "other" stuff that goes on and not just a score - a la injury bug. We all have our homers who you can't say anything negative against a team, and that wasn't my intention. While I have my issues with McShane, I can also respect the accomplishments of not only this season but his program in general.


                                Originally posted by KRBFLINT03 View Post
                                When that team was at full strength, they blew out Wesleyan and Plattsburgh and went to OT with the defending national champs (Trinity).
                                See this is partially my only disagreement. You want to speak of knowing the game, and it's okay to make excuses as to why Norwich was "losing" some games due to the injury bug, but fail to acknowledge that A) it was 2-2 going into the third in which Plattsburgh was skating with or an argument can be made was outplaying Norwich. Pelletier then had two quick goals. to make it 4-2 and then the lame boarding call on Hermans and the following PP goal. Radisa made it a 2 goal game again with 6 minutes to go and then Pelletier got his HT empty net goal...again, a woodshed beating would be 4+ goals or when a team has more goals then the other had shots on goal. The overall 60 minute game was a lot closer than a 3 goal (1 empty net) win. B) back to the injury bug, memory serving me, Plattsburgh was without a couple players in that game. I want to say the lost a defensmen during as well. They also started Brady, who was more like this years first semester Brady and not the Brady we saw the second half of this year. Plattsburgh was a good team at 20-4-3, but a lot of his hung on Finney.

                                Originally posted by KRBFLINT03 View Post
                                Trying to point that out to a bunch of keyboard athletes who were convinced that Norwich had been caught up to and/or passed by was an absurd exercise. I attempted to use logic, reason, and even history to back up my points, but was met with a gaggle of Chicken Littles (the sky is falling!). So, yeah, I've been angry about a few things.
                                And again, Amen (to a point). I don't think saying teams like Babson, UMB, Skidmore, ect ect have "caught up" to Norwich is a slight on Norwich in any sense. As I pointed out too (using logic, reason, and even history) Plattsburgh was much like Norwich back in the 90's. Was it 3 seasons of an undefeated SUNYAC run? Teams like Buff State, Brockport, and Cortland were known as "point night". It wasn't a matter of if Plattsburgh will win, but by how much. Same can be said for Norwich and teams like UMB and Skidmore. Those teams, through better coaching, more resources, better teams ect ect now give Norwich a game and or win a game or two and even a Championship. Do I think those said teams are now on the same "level"? No. It's still Norwich and the rest of the NEHC. But much like Plattsburgh and the SUNYAC, there is no more "nights off" and if you take the night off and or have an injury bug, things like not winning the title can happen. People need to realize this and understand this. It doesn't mean Norwich is falling backwards.

                                Originally posted by KRBFLINT03 View Post
                                Prior to joining this forum, I was never a big "I told you so" guy, but some of you folks have really brought it out of me. In the spirit of that sentiment, I'd like to note that I posted, on this message board, that the 2008-09 team lost 8 games (along with the leading scorer), made an early exit from the conference tourney, and rebounded to win the national championship (with only one loss) the following season. Man, you should've read the ridicule that statement drew! However, here we are. Rebounding from a 8 loss season to win a national championship, with only one loss.
                                That is the difference between a school like Norwich, Oswego, SNC, Plattsburgh, ect ect....few schools can take a "bad" season and come back. Norwich has the history and backing to know sooner or later they will rebound. Oswego will lose the majority of their team next year, am I going to pick them last in the SUNYAC? Nope. A team with a tradition of winning will always garnish the respect of recruits and having so many holes will allow them the opportunity to play at a high end DIII school. Thomas, Forkey, Cotnoir.....Thomas and Cotnoir are still on my list of some of the best Cadets. Without those three recruits however, I don't think Norwich makes it to Lake Placid that year.

                                Originally posted by KRBFLINT03 View Post
                                Maybe instead of picking a fight with a fellow Norwich fan, you (and others) should pay attention when someone might actually have some insight and know what they're talking about. It's not about stats, records, SOS, or any other crap. It's about using your eyes to evaluate a team, and most importantly, it's about the guys in the room.
                                And my eyes told me UMB was a mediocre team. I'd say 12-11-3 with one of the weakest schedules in DIII...... I was right as well. And for the record, you can go back and read, I said several times that Norwich was not a scrub. Anyone who wanted to call Norwich a scrub team needs their heads examined. But at the same time, you need to step back from the chest pounding and see just what people like NU Pastime (a very open minded NU poster IMO) who like many of us, wanted to believe Norwich was this good, but was "optimistic?" because they hadn't played a team like SNC yet this season. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. It doesn't make you any less of a fan. That's all I was trying to get across. I had little to no issue with Norwich, it was the other poster who wanted to say UMB was a good team because he saw them play. Yet 12-11-3 (40th win%) is right about mediocre IMO, but they could compete with lower end DI teams :rollseyes: Like I said, yes Norwich looked good (for the most part) needing OT to beat Middlebury, then tieing Middlebury, and several close games thru the season people wanted to believe, but there was some doubt. I don't see how that's a hard thing to see. The 1 loss was great, but they were not dominating teams like other past Norwich great teams did. I am talking on the scoreboard and on the ice. Speaking as a Plattsburgh fan, there were years you were "afraid" to see Norwich. This year was not one of them. It doesn't mean they weren't a good "team", because IMO that's why they won, they were the best "team".
                                Remy Babineaux
                                remyb616@gmail.com
                                D3FHL Web Page

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X