Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by NUProf View Post
    Okay, here's how it works. The team with the greatest number of potential points in the league is Babson. They stand at 15 points, and have 6 games left. If they win all 6 games, they would have 27 points. Norwich has 24 points. If Norwich reaches 28 points, then they have clinched. NEC can only reach 26 points (they have 16 points and 5 games left). Since NU has swept NEC, two points for the Cadets or a loss by NEC will eliminate NEC.

    In other words 4 points gained by Norwich will clinch the regular season. Any combination of points gained by Norwich and points not gained by Babson totaling 4 eliminates Babson. Any combination of points gained by Norwich and points lost by NEC totalling 2 will eliminate NEC. If Norwich were to win on Friday and hell were to freeze over on Friday (Babson losing to DW), Norwich would clinch on Friday.
    A much simpler way to go about it. And that's why you are a math professor and I was a history major.

    But yes, 802, I love the way the Cadets have played this season, but one evident area of improvement is cutting down on penalties.
    Norwich '13

    2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

    Comment


    • Re: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

      More hats off to Cody Smith. Still remember this gorgeous assist that kept us from having a fat 2 in that loss column: https://www.instagram.com/p/BMIU-gAj...orwich_mhockey

      Still one of my favorites of the season, everyone in my section was screaming at him to shoot the puck with little time left...nah, fake shot to a pass for the game winner. Keep the dimes coming Cody!

      Comment


      • Re: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

        This will be a very interesting weekend, to find out if the Cadets are peaking or not. They must want Skidmore pretty bad. They sure looked to me over this past weekend , like a team that was going places. For me that was the best 2 games in a row hockey they have played this year. They looked like they were in better shape in the 3rd period, than in previous games, even after playing so hard on Friday night. Castelton may be tough too, just like Middlebury always is for them. Lets Hope for the best.

        Comment


        • Re: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

          Barring a playoff appearance, this will be the last game in the 'berg for Skidmore Senior Connor van Arnum. He played youth hockey for NAHA and was a regular resident of Section 22, Row 1 where his family's season tickets were (two rows ahead of us). He did his secondary schooling at boarding schools, so his junior high and high school hockey was played out of state. He is the son of a Norwich alum and former administrator. His story is one that hasn't been really focused on or known by people on this board.
          2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
          2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
          2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
          2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

          Comment


          • Re: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

            Originally posted by NUProf View Post
            Barring a playoff appearance, this will be the last game in the 'berg for Skidmore Senior Connor van Arnum. He played youth hockey for NAHA and was a regular resident of Section 22, Row 1 where his family's season tickets were (two rows ahead of us). He did his secondary schooling at boarding schools, so his junior high and high school hockey was played out of state. He is the son of a Norwich alum and former administrator. His story is one that hasn't been really focused on or known by people on this board.
            Scored the GWG against us earlier this season in OT.

            Skidmore is 2-0-1 against Norwich in the last three meetings....
            The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
            "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
            GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
            GO LAKERS!!!
            GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
            Oswego State '09

            Comment


            • Re: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

              Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
              Scored the GWG against us earlier this season in OT.

              Skidmore is 2-0-1 against Norwich in the last three meetings....
              I know, I was surprised the Norwich connection has never been mentioned.
              2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
              2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
              2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
              2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

              Comment


              • Re: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

                Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                Okay, here's how it works. The team with the greatest number of potential points in the league is Babson. They stand at 15 points, and have 6 games left. If they win all 6 games, they would have 27 points. Norwich has 24 points. If Norwich reaches 28 points, then they have clinched. NEC can only reach 26 points (they have 16 points and 5 games left). Since NU has swept NEC, two points for the Cadets or a loss by NEC will eliminate NEC.

                In other words 4 points gained by Norwich will clinch the regular season. Any combination of points gained by Norwich and points not gained by Babson totaling 4 eliminates Babson. Any combination of points gained by Norwich and points lost by NEC totalling 2 will eliminate NEC. If Norwich were to win on Friday and hell were to freeze over on Friday (Babson losing to DW), Norwich would clinch on Friday.
                Thanks Prof for putting into words what was passing through my head. Hope you are well. I wonder if Rick and Connie will be there?
                The "Miracle" was winning the Gold Medal Game against the Finns. I'm biased, I was there.

                Comment


                • Re: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

                  Rivalry game tonight, payback game tomorrow, and a possible regular season championship clinched this weekend. Good times. But I was thinking, what would you put as Norwich's best win so far this year? At the beginning of the season, it looked like the Cadets were going to have one of the strongest schedules out there.

                  But then Babson and UMB took a step back, Plattsburgh is down, and the highly anticipated match-up with Oswego never happened. Concordia and UMB, two quality opponents but not contenders, were perhaps the most complete games the Cadets have played this year. In other spots, the Cadets looked dominant for the second period against Plattsburgh before almost choking in the third. The first 50 minutes of the Williams game were probably the best 50 minutes the Cadets played all year before collapsing in the final 10.

                  And I guess that's my holdout with this team. They're 17-1-2, ranked second in the country, with a comfortable lead in the NEHC. But have they really been tested yet against the type of opponent they'll need to beat in March?
                  Norwich '13

                  2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
                    Rivalry game tonight, payback game tomorrow, and a possible regular season championship clinched this weekend. Good times. But I was thinking, what would you put as Norwich's best win so far this year? At the beginning of the season, it looked like the Cadets were going to have one of the strongest schedules out there.

                    But then Babson and UMB took a step back, Plattsburgh is down, and the highly anticipated match-up with Oswego never happened. Concordia and UMB, two quality opponents but not contenders, were perhaps the most complete games the Cadets have played this year. In other spots, the Cadets looked dominant for the second period against Plattsburgh before almost choking in the third. The first 50 minutes of the Williams game were probably the best 50 minutes the Cadets played all year before collapsing in the final 10.

                    And I guess that's my holdout with this team. They're 17-1-2, ranked second in the country, with a comfortable lead in the NEHC. But have they really been tested yet against the type of opponent they'll need to beat in March?
                    It's going to be interesting in a couple of weeks or so when the Rankings come out.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

                    ”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

                    Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

                    I want to live forever. So far, so good.

                    Comment


                    • Re: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

                      On a completely random note ... went to see Kyle Thomas play for Fort Wayne at Elmira Wednesday night. He's excelling in a pretty good league against mostly D1 and CHL alumni. Stats.

                      Comment


                      • Re: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

                        Originally posted by elbojpb View Post
                        On a completely random note ... went to see Kyle Thomas play for Fort Wayne at Elmira Wednesday night. He's excelling in a pretty good league against mostly D1 and CHL alumni. Stats.
                        He's been having a hell of a season! Keep hoping maybe he'll get a shot at the A.
                        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                        GO LAKERS!!!
                        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                        Oswego State '09

                        Comment


                        • Re: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

                          Really looking forward to this weekend's games, wish I could be there to cheer them on. Hope everyone is healthy and stays out of the penalty box, no more 5 minute majors! Go Cadets!

                          Cody Smith is due for a goal to go along with his amazing number of assists...24! Keep it up Cody!
                          Last edited by 17'sfanNU; 01-27-2017, 05:36 PM.
                          There is no right way to do the wrong thing. Go Cadets

                          Comment


                          • Re: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

                            Good win last night. It's been fun this year watching this team improve over the season. Early in the year their powerplay looked terrible against Middlebury in the Primelink, giving up shorthanded break after shorthanded break, and has looked much better ever since. The third period has been an issue with this team when leading, most notably against Williams and Plattsburgh, and last night Castleton had a hard time even getting the puck across mid ice in the third it seemed. Outstanding forecheck.

                            Edit: Also, we haven't had the attendance discussion for a few weeks. Looked like a big crowd last night at Kreitzberg.
                            Last edited by NU Pastime; 01-28-2017, 08:40 AM.
                            Norwich '13

                            2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

                            Comment


                            • Re: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

                              Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post

                              Edit: Also, we haven't had the attendance discussion for a few weeks. Looked like a big crowd last night at Kreitzberg.
                              Always helps when the students are back in town for Friday night attendance. It was definitely a good crowd. Little over 1700 was official attendance. We'll see how it goes this afternoon. Senior night and Skidmore having a few local guys might help.
                              The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                              "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                              GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                              GO LAKERS!!!
                              GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                              "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                              Oswego State '09

                              Comment


                              • Re: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

                                As I seem to have to ask every Saturday, problems with the deed or is it my internet?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X