Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by NUProf View Post
    Many kinds of humor don't play well with some people. We need a sarcasm font. Maybe like this or this
    Amen!

    Comment


    • Originally posted by KRBFLINT03 View Post
      Question for the board: Norwich beats Naz, and falls to Oswego in a good, competitive game. Are we not allowed to then consider them good? A little "spat" I had last week left me with the impression that the season is a failure if Norwich loses another game before the Final (not Frozen) Four.

      Ill try to be nice here. No one said Norwich was a dump team. Plattsburgh was one of the best DIII teams last year, so if Norwich beats them in a couple weeks it carries the same weight as last year? The ONLY point that was being made is that UMB and Babson are mediocre at best DIII teams. Beating them means you beat your average DIII team. You would think a place like Norwich wouldn't get as excited over an average team win. Can Norwich compete with Oswego? Sure. Id be a lot more excited beating Oswego than I would UMB or Babson on the National level. Yes Norwich looks better, yes they've improved since last year. On the conference level, absolutely. Time will hopefully tell on the National level. If things got that bad in Norwich where mediocre wins get people as excited as much as NCAA wins then I'm truly sorry. People should have never jumped off the Norwich ship (no not saying that you did, I am well aware that you shot down the ship is sinking claims last year). Yes, Norwich can only play who is on their schedule. It's not their fault Plattsburgh, Babson and UMB are having down years and Middlebury is still goose egg. But its also hard to judge how far they've come until we see them against Top competition. Plattsburgh looked like a NCAA Contender against Potsdam....its Potsdam. I will be surprised if Norwich is blown away by Oswego (if it happens), but I'm still not ready to put them Top 3 East yet either because of a couple wins over Babson and UMB. You may because you're a Norwich fan and have the glasses on and expected. I get it. But if you open up the playbook, it's clear as day UMB and Babson are NOT the same teams as last year, so beating them (while better than losing) proves you can beat an average (Ill give them slightly above average) DIII team.

      All I know is that (if it happens) OSU VS NORWICH will be one of the most watched games coming up. Better get the bandwidth ready.

      Again, it was no slight on Norwich. The jury looks better than last year for sure, but until they play a contender the gavel is still mid air. I want to believe they're back, but they just haven't played anyone (maybe, big maybe, Skidmore) where you can honestly gauge that. And when I mean back I mean as a National favorite, not just a contender. Face it, Norwich should be a favorite year in year out, not just a conversation.

      Cheers and Happy Holidays. Hockey breaks suck.
      Remy Babineaux
      remyb616@gmail.com
      D3FHL Web Page

      Comment


      • Re: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

        For once I willl not need the bandwidth,Ill be at the game................if it happens

        Comment


        • Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
          Ill try to be nice here. No one said Norwich was a dump team. Plattsburgh was one of the best DIII teams last year, so if Norwich beats them in a couple weeks it carries the same weight as last year? The ONLY point that was being made is that UMB and Babson are mediocre at best DIII teams. Beating them means you beat your average DIII team. You would think a place like Norwich wouldn't get as excited over an average team win. Can Norwich compete with Oswego? Sure. Id be a lot more excited beating Oswego than I would UMB or Babson on the National level. Yes Norwich looks better, yes they've improved since last year. On the conference level, absolutely. Time will hopefully tell on the National level. If things got that bad in Norwich where mediocre wins get people as excited as much as NCAA wins then I'm truly sorry. People should have never jumped off the Norwich ship (no not saying that you did, I am well aware that you shot down the ship is sinking claims last year). Yes, Norwich can only play who is on their schedule. It's not their fault Plattsburgh, Babson and UMB are having down years and Middlebury is still goose egg. But its also hard to judge how far they've come until we see them against Top competition. Plattsburgh looked like a NCAA Contender against Potsdam....its Potsdam. I will be surprised if Norwich is blown away by Oswego (if it happens), but I'm still not ready to put them Top 3 East yet either because of a couple wins over Babson and UMB. You may because you're a Norwich fan and have the glasses on and expected. I get it. But if you open up the playbook, it's clear as day UMB and Babson are NOT the same teams as last year, so beating them (while better than losing) proves you can beat an average (Ill give them slightly above average) DIII team.

          All I know is that (if it happens) OSU VS NORWICH will be one of the most watched games coming up. Better get the bandwidth ready.

          Again, it was no slight on Norwich. The jury looks better than last year for sure, but until they play a contender the gavel is still mid air. I want to believe they're back, but they just haven't played anyone (maybe, big maybe, Skidmore) where you can honestly gauge that. And when I mean back I mean as a National favorite, not just a contender. Face it, Norwich should be a favorite year in year out, not just a conversation.

          Cheers and Happy Holidays. Hockey breaks suck.
          I would not call UMB and Babson "mediocre". At worst they are above average D3 teams. Are they elite this year? Not showing it so far, but UMB has got some serious talent up front still. Not quite getting the goaltending they had last year.
          The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10
          "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" Joecct
          GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
          GO LAKERS!!!
          GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
          Oswego State '09

          Comment


          • Re: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

            Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
            I would not call UMB and Babson "mediocre". At worst they are above average D3 teams. Are they elite this year? Not showing it so far, but UMB has got some serious talent up front still. Not quite getting the goaltending they had last year.
            it's clear as day UMB and Babson are NOT the same teams as last year, so beating them (while better than losing) proves you can beat an average (Ill give them slightly above average) DIII team.
            Apparantly you missed this?

            KRACH has them 34th with an SOS of 55.....sounds pretty mediocre to me, or Plattsburgh must be above average too since they are a single spot below UMB...or must be UMB is the "above average" cutoff.... Goaltending, while not the same, is not way off from last year. They lost over 43% of their points from last year. Sure Larkin is a stud, but serious talent when you're playing the 54th toughest schedule......wins over Daniel Webster, Curry, Wentworth, UMass Dartmouth, and Castleton....lighting the world on fire. Is this UMass Boston or Utica?
            Remy Babineaux
            remyb616@gmail.com
            D3FHL Web Page

            Comment


            • Re: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

              Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
              Apparantly you missed this?

              KRACH has them 34th with an SOS of 55.....sounds pretty mediocre to me, or Plattsburgh must be above average too since they are a single spot below UMB...or must be UMB is the "above average" cutoff.... Goaltending, while not the same, is not way off from last year. They lost over 43% of their points from last year. Sure Larkin is a stud, but serious talent when you're playing the 54th toughest schedule......wins over Daniel Webster, Curry, Wentworth, UMass Dartmouth, and Castleton....lighting the world on fire. Is this UMass Boston or Utica?
              I guess I am a fan of actually watching teams play. I witnessed both the UMB and Babson contests at Norwich a few weeks ago. All three are solid teams. Not so much Babson, but UMB and Norwich have some high end talent at the forward and defense positions and it is not just the usual suspects that you mention. As a matter of fact, I would say that those teams could easily compete with the lower end Atlantic D1 teams that I have watched this season (Niagara, Bentley, Scared Heart, MercyHurst).

              Also, if you are going to look at SOS. I would also make the same argument against the elite teams that you are implying. I wouldn't consider Cortland State, Fredonia, Potsdam as really making an arguement for a soild SOS.

              Not sure where Norwich will end up this season but as they say, that is why you play the games. Maybe watching a few games instead of staring at polls will give a different perspective.

              Comment


              • Re: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

                I spend most of the day in the car and I missed all this conversation!

                There's been so much talk of "missing points", when in reality my point was missed, which led to last weekend's "debate", which led to my snarky post, which led to this talk.

                Rather than go back and try to clarify my initial point, I will look forward to upcoming contests against OSU (hopefully) and Plattsburgh.

                One thing we can agree on...hockey breaks do suck.

                Comment


                • Re: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

                  Originally posted by LTU85 View Post
                  I guess I am a fan of actually watching teams play. I witnessed both the UMB and Babson contests at Norwich a few weeks ago. All three are solid teams. Not so much Babson, but UMB and Norwich have some high end talent at the forward and defense positions and it is not just the usual suspects that you mention. As a matter of fact, I would say that those teams could easily compete with the lower end Atlantic D1 teams that I have watched this season (Niagara, Bentley, Scared Heart, MercyHurst).
                  I'm sorry but the rest of your post all becomes irrelevant after you make that claim...

                  But BTW, all the elite teams have twice, if not 3 and 4 times the better SOS than UMB including every SUNYAC team......every.... but thanks for pointing that out...
                  Remy Babineaux
                  remyb616@gmail.com
                  D3FHL Web Page

                  Comment


                  • Re: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

                    Originally posted by KRBFLINT03 View Post
                    I spend most of the day in the car and I missed all this conversation!

                    There's been so much talk of "missing points", when in reality my point was missed, which led to last weekend's "debate", which led to my snarky post, which led to this talk.

                    Rather than go back and try to clarify my initial point, I will look forward to upcoming contests against OSU (hopefully) and Plattsburgh.

                    One thing we can agree on...hockey breaks do suck.
                    .....and Norwich is better than last year..... Meet ya half way there lol JK
                    Remy Babineaux
                    remyb616@gmail.com
                    D3FHL Web Page

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by KRBFLINT03 View Post
                      I spend most of the day in the car and I missed all this conversation!

                      There's been so much talk of "missing points", when in reality my point was missed, which led to last weekend's "debate", which led to my snarky post, which led to this talk.

                      Rather than go back and try to clarify my initial point, I will look forward to upcoming contests against OSU (hopefully) and Plattsburgh.

                      One thing we can agree on...hockey breaks do suck.
                      Aw man. Between this, the Adrian-UWSP debate, and a still- hanging post on the NESCAC thread the board's been feisty the last couple days. It's made for some good reading. Don't stop now, we still have two weeks to go!
                      Norwich '13

                      2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

                      Comment


                      • Re: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

                        Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                        I'm sorry but the rest of your post all becomes irrelevant after you make that claim...

                        But BTW, all the elite teams have twice, if not 3 and 4 times the better SOS than UMB including every SUNYAC team......every.... but thanks for pointing that out...
                        Nope still very relevant post. My opinion on what I have observed on the ice and not from a poll. Go watch a few games instead of staring at polls.

                        Comment


                        • Re: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

                          Originally posted by LTU85 View Post
                          Nope still very relevant post. My opinion on what I have observed on the ice and not from a poll. Go watch a few games instead of staring at polls.
                          Sorry I didn't know you were the next Scotty Bowman. With so much hockey knowledge I'm shocked you have time for a message board....

                          By the way, I've seen more hockey games NOT involving my "team" than I have Plattsburgh games...so thanks, I have watched hockey....and not hockey involving mediocre teams with SOS in the 50's......if you've actually watched hockey, you would know that the teams UMB has played have been pretty much jokes. I mean maybe hockey looks different in braille for you, but Daniel Webster, Curry, Wentworth, UMass Dartmouth, and Castleton are still Daniel Webster, Curry, Wentworth, UMass Dartmouth, and Castleton. Are you going to tell me those teams can compete in DI too?? There is a reason UMB has an SOS of 55 and it has NOTHING to do with an opinion "poll"....its fact.

                          This just in, UMB beats Post 6-1....put them in the National Title game....hey they have 1 win Connecticut College up next and then National Powerhouses Salve Regina and Franklin Pierce. I bet after those games you will think they are pretty close to UVM or heck might as well just stay home and compete against BC and BU.

                          Oh and while you're at it, the KRACH is not a "poll"...its statistical data...not opinion based like yourself....but hey keep plugging away Mr.Hockey.....
                          Remy Babineaux
                          remyb616@gmail.com
                          D3FHL Web Page

                          Comment


                          • Re: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

                            Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                            Sorry I didn't know you were the next Scotty Bowman. With so much hockey knowledge I'm shocked you have time for a message board....

                            By the way, I've seen more hockey games NOT involving my "team" than I have Plattsburgh games...so thanks, I have watched hockey....and not hockey involving mediocre teams with SOS in the 50's......if you've actually watched hockey, you would know that the teams UMB has played have been pretty much jokes. I mean maybe hockey looks different in braille for you, but Daniel Webster, Curry, Wentworth, UMass Dartmouth, and Castleton are still Daniel Webster, Curry, Wentworth, UMass Dartmouth, and Castleton. Are you going to tell me those teams can compete in DI too?? There is a reason UMB has an SOS of 55 and it has NOTHING to do with an opinion "poll"....its fact.

                            This just in, UMB beats Post 6-1....put them in the National Title game....hey they have 1 win Connecticut College up next and then National Powerhouses Salve Regina and Franklin Pierce. I bet after those games you will think they are pretty close to UVM or heck might as well just stay home and compete against BC and BU.

                            Oh and while you're at it, the KRACH is not a "poll"...its statistical data...not opinion based like yourself....but hey keep plugging away Mr.Hockey.....
                            You make some very interesting extrapolations on your SOS argument to say the least.

                            Again, I base my information on the skill set of players that I have actually witnessed, not some data point that tells me they have played weaker teams so they must not be any good. I look at the capabilities of the players (speed, hands, skating, etc..) and who has the make-up of a good team. You can't fault a skilled player/good team based on who they have to play against. They either have it or they don't.

                            And yes, some of those DIII teams are capable of beating some of the DI teams that I mentioned. Don't kid yourself, the demarcation between those type of D1 and DIII players is minimal, if it exists at all (discussion for another time).

                            Maybe some day you will comprehend the game and understand what your actually watching. Keep plugging away....

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
                              Aw man. Between this, the Adrian-UWSP debate, and a still- hanging post on the NESCAC thread the board's been feisty the last couple days. It's made for some good reading. Don't stop now, we still have two weeks to go!
                              Oh, I've made sure I'm all caught up on the Adrian stuff. What a disgrace.

                              Comment


                              • Re: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

                                Originally posted by LTU85 View Post
                                You make some very interesting extrapolations on your SOS argument to say the least.
                                Because it's fact? No please explain because you have zero argument. A team will look great against the chump change teams of DIII that UMB has played. Heck even Plattsburgh would look like a National Contender against that schedule.

                                Originally posted by LTU85 View Post
                                Again, I base my information on the skill set of players that I have actually witnessed, not some data point that tells me they have played weaker teams so they must not be any good. I look at the capabilities of the players (speed, hands, skating, etc..) and who has the make-up of a good team. You can't fault a skilled player/good team based on who they have to play against. They either have it or they don't.
                                And once again, your average "skilled" player will look amazing against the chump change teams UMB has played. So glad you think playing Daniel Webster, Curry, Wentworth, Umass Dartmouth and Castleton really gives you a good gauge on a team. That says a lot about your hockey knowledge right there. If they were THAT good, shouldn't they be beating Southern Maine, Skidmore, St.Mikes and Morrisville?? *crickets* *crickets* *crickets* But hey, hang your hat on beating 1 win Daniel Webster, Curry (who lost to Endicott by 11), 2 win Wentworth, and 3 win (2 of which don't count) Castleton. I'm sure they looked AMAZING in those games....

                                Originally posted by LTU85 View Post
                                And yes, some of those DIII teams are capable of beating some of the DI teams that I mentioned. Don't kid yourself, the demarcation between those type of D1 and DIII players is minimal, if it exists at all (discussion for another time).
                                See I've been around a time or two and been in this discussion a good few dozen times and yes, I am well aware DIII teams can compete with DI teams (especially from the D3XL league of the Atlantic Hockey). UMB is not one of those teams. Especially as a program as a whole. A traditional power maybe, but not a team that's had 1 elite year.

                                Originally posted by LTU85 View Post
                                Maybe some day you will comprehend the game and understand what your actually watching. Keep plugging away....
                                I comprehend, believe me. Maybe some day you will comprehend that there is more hockey out there than UMB and the Atlantic Conference. Then again if you are use to watching that...it all makes sense what you think good hockey is...enjoy watching your "quality hockey" with Salve and Connecticut College coming to town....barn burners there. Niagara and Bently square off in a couple weeks, maybe you can make your Final Four prediction then too....
                                Remy Babineaux
                                remyb616@gmail.com
                                D3FHL Web Page

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X