Daniel Webster scheduling partner for NEHC in 2016-17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Daniel Webster scheduling partner for NEHC in 2016-17

Again the point being then why keep Saint A's and St. Mikes around all these years if the league wanted 8 teams. You guys are ridiculous and its obvious that you are not for the growth of D3 hockey. Also couldn't Umass Boston, Southern Maine, and Castleton pick up and leave and join the Mascac, where they might have success right away and have a legitimate shot to go the NCAA's each and every year??? UMass could be to the MASCAC what Norwich has been to the ECAC East the last 20 years dominant. I like 9 conference members and each team is close enough to do a home and home with each other and get rid of the travel partners. Rather than wait around for St. Mikes this league really needs to secure its future whether its Daniel Webster or another school like Endicott.

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    I like 8 team leagues. In D-I, it allows 28 conference games. In D-III - 14. That will help a few NEHC conference members besides Norwich

Comment

Originally posted by cooperalls View Post
      Again the point being then why keep Saint A's and St. Mikes around all these years if the league wanted 8 teams. You guys are ridiculous and its obvious that you are not for the growth of D3 hockey. Also couldn't Umass Boston, Southern Maine, and Castleton pick up and leave and join the Mascac, where they might have success right away and have a legitimate shot to go the NCAA's each and every year??? UMass could be to the MASCAC what Norwich has been to the ECAC East the last 20 years dominant. I like 9 conference members and each team is close enough to do a home and home with each other and get rid of the travel partners. Rather than wait around for St. Mikes this league really needs to secure its future whether its Daniel Webster or another school like Endicott.
      I could be wrong but for many years the D2 schools were not that big a deal when the interlock schedule was in effect. You just played each school 1 times a year, hence, only 2 D2 games counting. My guess is the D2 schools in the ECAC E or the new NEHC has been a big problem for the rest of the league ever since the NESCAC teams left. I think St. A's being such a strong program with a great rink was a factor in keeping the league at 10 teams. But why would an up and coming team like UNE with a new facility leave when they had a travel partner right up the road?

I am not sure what the future is for the NEHC but for me it was hard watching Plymouth beat Castleton by a wide margin a few weeks ago in Rutland. I always though the NEHC or ECAC E teams were a step above the MASCAC and ECAC Northeast or maybe I have just been watching Norwich play too much. Is there any possibility that the NEHC can reverse the trend and add teams like Plymouth, Nichols, or Endicott. Other leagues are poaching NEHC teams why not reverse the trend for once. Norwich, UMass Boston, Babson, and St. A's when they finally go D3 will be a strong draw for any new teams.
      Last edited by hawk; 01-06-2016, 08:54 AM.
      2009-2010 Last Person Standing winner
      2009-2010 Interlock LPS winner

Comment

Originally posted by cooperalls View Post
        I don't get what you're trying to say? The league ISN'T waiting around for Saint Michael's any longer. They put the "poop or get off the pot" on both Saint Anselm and Saint Michael's last year. Saint Anselm has made the decision to drop to D-III and in 2019-20 or 2020-21 they'll be a D-III member. Saint Michael's hasn't made a decision yet and this point, it appears they're looking to stay Division II, which will give them one more year in the NEHC in 2016-17 and then they are out.

I think the NEHC would love to add a school like Endicott should they want to be in the league. However, Endicott's primary league, the CCC, just announced they are sponsoring hockey as a conference sport and that's the reason why UNE is leaving so that's not happening.

UMass Boston has no desire to go to the MASCAC. They are in the Little East as their primary conference and like it that way. They like playing in the NEHC and the teams they compete with.

I think potentially Plymouth could make the jump from the MASCAC to the NEHC.

How am I not for the growth of D-III hockey? I'm all about adding DIVISION III teams to the fold. The Division II hockey scene unfortunately just isn't there and the NCAA isn't going to allow those teams' games to count against D-III schools. It's been looked at for years. Hawk brings up a great point that one of the bigger reasons why this became an issue was when the Interlock went away you're now playing four games against D-II teams that don't count instead of two. In theory, because of that, every time you lose it almost counts twice against you with your winning percentage because instead of having 25 games factor in, you only have 21 making each loss hurt more.

If the games against Saint Michael's and Saint Anselm counted, we wouldn't be having this discussion.
        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
        GO LAKERS!!!
        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
        Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
          I don't get what you're trying to say? The league ISN'T waiting around for Saint Michael's any longer. They put the "poop or get off the pot" on both Saint Anselm and Saint Michael's last year. Saint Anselm has made the decision to drop to D-III and in 2019-20 or 2020-21 they'll be a D-III member. Saint Michael's hasn't made a decision yet and this point, it appears they're looking to stay Division II, which will give them one more year in the NEHC in 2016-17 and then they are out.

I think the NEHC would love to add a school like Endicott should they want to be in the league. However, Endicott's primary league, the CCC, just announced they are sponsoring hockey as a conference sport and that's the reason why UNE is leaving so that's not happening.

UMass Boston has no desire to go to the MASCAC. They are in the Little East as their primary conference and like it that way. They like playing in the NEHC and the teams they compete with.

I think potentially Plymouth could make the jump from the MASCAC to the NEHC.

How am I not for the growth of D-III hockey? I'm all about adding DIVISION III teams to the fold. The Division II hockey scene unfortunately just isn't there and the NCAA isn't going to allow those teams' games to count against D-III schools. It's been looked at for years. Hawk brings up a great point that one of the bigger reasons why this became an issue was when the Interlock went away you're now playing four games against D-II teams that don't count instead of two. In theory, because of that, every time you lose it almost counts twice against you with your winning percentage because instead of having 25 games factor in, you only have 21 making each loss hurt more.

If the games against Saint Michael's and Saint Anselm counted, we wouldn't be having this discussion.
          Prez so you are saying that with NU's 5 losses already it is going to make it hard to get into the NCAA's unless they win out the tournament. Plattsburh is also on the schedule this Friday.
          2009-2010 Last Person Standing winner
          2009-2010 Interlock LPS winner

Comment

The MASCAC hockey league is a joint venture between the LEC and MASCAC. UMB & USM are members of the LEC. Ergo, if UMB & USM's administrations want to leave the NEHC, the MASCAC will be the destination.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by hawk View Post
              Prez so you are saying that with NU's 5 losses already it is going to make it hard to get into the NCAA's unless they win out the tournament. Plattsburh is also on the schedule this Friday.
              Unless Norwich basically runs the table and loses in the NEHC finals, I think it would be foolish to think Norwich has a good shot at an at-large bid at this point.
              GO LAKERS!!!
              "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
              Oswego State '09

Comment

The MASCAC hockey league is a joint venture between the LEC and MASCAC. UMB & USM are members of the LEC. Ergo, if UMB & USM's administrations want to leave the NEHC, the MASCAC will be the destination.
                Five MASCAC schools and two Little East schools. The only reason why Plymouth State is in the MASCAC is because they needed a seventh team to get the autobid.

Why would those seven schools want to bring in UMass-Boston, who would probably win the league almost every year with the effort and resources they are putting forth in hockey now?
                GO LAKERS!!!
                Oswego State '09

Comment

Five MASCAC schools and two Little East schools. The only reason why Plymouth State is in the MASCAC is because they needed a seventh team to get the autobid.

Why would those seven schools want to bring in UMass-Boston, who would probably win the league almost every year with the effort and resources they are putting forth in hockey now?
                  You're at Norwich and make a statement about winning the league every year? Pot, meet kettle.

There is an interrelationship between the MASCAC & LEC. When one conference does not have enough members t make a schedule, it combines with the other.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

You're at Norwich and make a statement about winning the league every year? Pot, meet kettle.

There is an interrelationship between the MASCAC & LEC. When one conference does not have enough members t make a schedule, it combines with the other.
                    The MASCAC has made it work for the last six years. Why change now? Also, Norwich hasn't won two out of the last three league tournament titles.
                    GO LAKERS!!!
                    Oswego State '09

Comment

The MASCAC has made it work for the last six years. Why change now? Also, Norwich hasn't won two out of the last three league tournament titles.
                      17 straight #1 seeds - at least that's what the thread title says. And you never played a conference playoff game outside of Northfield.
                      Last edited by joecct; 01-06-2016, 03:44 PM.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

17 straight #1 seeds - at least that's what the thread title says. And you never played a conference playoff game outside of Northfield.
                        Last time I checked tournament titles are what get you automatic bids to the NCAA tournament.

Until this year. NU could/probably will be on the road for two playoff games this year if they can win quarter and semi.
                        GO LAKERS!!!
                        Oswego State '09

Comment

Now that the only reason that USM didn't move to the LEC/MASCAC a few years back is no longer involved, I have a feeling USM might trend in this direction....I hope not but with UNE leaving and USM having no travel partner, I would say it's about 50-50....

Comment

Working...
                          X