Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stevenson starts D-III men's hockey, joins ECAC West!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Stevenson starts D-III men's hockey, joins ECAC West!

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
    Still no seats

Last edited by norm1909; 04-26-2015, 03:23 PM.
    Larry Normandin
    SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
    WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Apparently there are some seats.
      Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
        I went public skating there once when I was going to school in the area it seats about the same as Hobart, typical public rink set up that any hockey parent would know very typical community rink set-up. I think there is enough interest in hockey in the Baltimore area that an on-campus rink I know there are several small colleges with club teams that would love more stable homes like Towson.

Comment

• Originally posted by UCAlum32 View Post
          I went public skating there once when I was going to school in the area it seats about the same as Hobart, typical public rink set up that any hockey parent would know very typical community rink set-up. I think there is enough interest in hockey in the Baltimore area that an on-campus rink I know there are several small colleges with club teams that would love more stable homes like Towson.
          There are a lot of HS that need a rink other than traveling out to Abingdon. The lack of available ice in the DC - Balt area is apalling.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Your case being that you have you no regard for the process? I disagree with the lack of transparency (particularly the "need" of keeping the final ranking secret), back when the NCAA screwed Adrian out of a bid, I showed my disdain for the process. But I never rejected the very valuable benefits of competing for an AQ. Yes, the DII schools face an even worse disadvantage, with NO chance at any bid. The "business" of getting into "the field of 11" is the goal of the DIII athlete, qualifying for the AQ should be the goal of the institution and its conference administrators - while they can't flick a magic wand, they can work at utilizing all available resources to getting the objective done - it need not be ideal - becoming ideal can be worked on after - meeting the publicized criteria is the best one can reasonably hope for.

THAT is my case.
            It's no secret that I have zero regard for the process, Larry. Not only is there no transparency, there aren't even any real "criteria", since the committee is free to do as it pleases without a shred of accountability. There's never going to be a perfect method to choosing the field, but a far, far, better option is already available.

(And I just referenced Plymouth because IIRC they were like the 38th team in the country when the got their bid this year... Not picking on them for accepting it!)
            Last edited by Fishman'81; 04-26-2015, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
              It's no secret that I have zero regard for the process, Larry. Not only is there no transparency, there aren't even any real "criteria", since the committee is free to do as it pleases without a shred of accountability. There's never going to be a perfect method to choosing the field, but a far, far, better option is already available.

(And I just referenced Plymouth because IIRC they were like the 38th team in the country when the got their bid this year... Not picking on them for accepting it!)
              All the criteria for qualifying for the AQ is publicized - they are the only transparent bids.
              Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

All the criteria for qualifying for the AQ is publicized - they are the only transparent bids.
                You're right about that... It's just that they aren't necessarily merited.

Comment

Wonder what will happen to the landscape when Pool C is scrapped as a cost savings measure (for all championships)?
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

You're right about that... It's just that they aren't necessarily merited.
                    The NCAA does NOT have much impact on who the conference sends (each conference has the choice of how to award its automatic bid) - beyond setting the institution's post-season eligibility requirements.
                    Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      Wonder what will happen to the landscape when Pool C is scrapped as a cost savings measure (for all championships)?
                      Why would that happen, Joe? (It's an honest question, BTW; memorizing arbitrary D-3 by-laws is not my idea of a good use of time... That makes about as much sense as studying a religion.)

Anyhoo, Pool C is the (almost) saving-grace of the D-3 process. For the past few years, the Pool C selections have saved the bacon in terms of the credibility of the process, the 2014 Trinity exclusion being the only true recent outrage IIRC .

Comment

Why would that happen, Joe? (It's an honest question, BTW; memorizing arbitrary D-3 by-laws is not my idea of a good use of time... That makes about as much sense as studying a religion.)

Anyhoo, Pool C is the (almost) saving-grace of the D-3 process. For the past few years, the Pool C selections have saved the bacon in terms of the credibility of the process, the 2014 Trinity exclusion being the only true recent outrage IIRC .
                        It's been discussed as a possible cost-cutting plan. It would apply to all DIII sports... I don't think it's going to happen any time soon, but it is certainly been filed away as an emergency plan.
                        Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                        SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                        ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                        NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                        NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                        NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                        NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
                          It's been discussed as a possible cost-cutting plan. It would apply to all DIII sports... I don't think it's going to happen any time soon, but it is certainly been filed away as an emergency plan.
                          I guess all those 40K tuitions don't quite cover the cost of an extra hockey game or two. Jeez Louise.

Comment

I guess all those 40K tuitions don't quite cover the cost of an extra hockey game or two. Jeez Louise.
                            The issue is the NCAA DIII budget. They pay the costs for all the DIII tournaments out of the measly 3% of the the overall NCAA budget that the NCAA allocates to DIII, despite the fact that DIII is by far the largest division of the three.
                            2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                            2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                            2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                            2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

You guys are going to hurt your heads arguing with a wall.....
                              Remy Babineaux
                              remyb616@gmail.com
                              D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                                You guys are going to hurt your heads arguing with a wall.....
                                Unless it's a padded cell wall...
                                Russell Jaslow
                                [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                                U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Working...
                                X