Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stevenson starts D-III men's hockey, joins ECAC West!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stevenson starts D-III men's hockey, joins ECAC West!

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    Who's "dumb" here, Einstein..? Are you saying that the fact that the W already has to log a ton a ton of miles means that adding two more brutal trips is somehow moot..? (Well, hell, let's invite Lake Forest, too!)

And why bother? Neither team is likely to add value to UC's schedule; in fact, they are very likely to degrade it. I'd rather see eg. OSU, PSU and Trinity on the docket, no AQ for the W, and let it's best team get a Pool C.

The W lives and dies by it's SOS. I'm fine with that.
    Still you ask anyone else here on the forum they all know you're just a troll *******. They added teams to an already existing geographic area for the league which means scheduling can run multiple teams in one swing to the geographic region and any idiot can realize that the losses in SOS is made up for by the autobid plus if the schools put in some resources they might not be terrible one would hope LV learned form the previous mistakes and it not in it just to suck again. This is a good time for them to join as any idiot who follows the W knows they have had a couple down years so its a chance to get in when the learning curve is a little less steep. Now go back to reddit with the rest of the Trolls.
    Last edited by UCAlum32; 04-25-2015, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by UCAlum32 View Post
      Still you ask anyone else here on the forum they all know you're just a troll *******. They added teams to an already existing geographic area for the league which means scheduling can run multiple teams in one swing to the geographic region and any idiot can realize that the losses in SOS is made up for by the autobid plus if the schools put in some resources they might not be terrible one would hope LV learned form the previous mistakes and it not in it just to suck again. This is a good time for them to join as any idiot who follows the W knows they have had a couple down years so its a chance to get in when the learning curve is a little less steep. Now go back to reddit with the rest of the Trolls.
      "Existing geographical area"? As in the entire Eastern Seaboard..? If the W is expanded as is proposed, the travel is nuts. Has to be the worst in the East, in the aggregate.

Guys, the fool's gold that is the AQ is at the root of this madness. An equitable and transparent metric that berths teams on the basis of stand-alone, all-season-long achievement is the way to go in such a small PS field. Conference-affiliation means nothing in and of itself.

(The KRACH comes to mind in that regard, being nearly perfect last year.)
      Last edited by Fishman'81; 04-25-2015, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
        Maybe the lack of an autobid for ECAC West teams has hurt them in recruiting over the last 5 years. Think about it, the league is a shell of what it was a few years ago with Hobart the only team with a solid season last year. Even then, hobart got shellacked by Oswego in the first round.

You can't tell me that when kids went to other schools for visits that they wouldn't say ohhh...you know ECAC west teams don't automatically get into the tournament if they win your league right?

Kids want to play in the NCAA Tournament and they want to go to schools where they have a shot at doing that. Playing an entire 25 game season like its the playoffs like the ECAC west teams are forced to do can grow incredibly tiresome on the mind and body. Every loss hurts that much more without an AQ.
        The W has a de-facto AQ in Pool-C right now, as long as they have a team that's worthy in a genuine sense.

Comment

"Existing geographical area"? As in the entire Eastern Seaboard..? If the W is expanded as is proposed, the travel is nuts. Has to be the worst in the East, in the aggregate.

Guys, the fool's gold that is the AQ is at the root of this madness. An equitable and transparent metric that berths teams on the basis of stand-alone, all-season-long achievement is the way to go in such a small PS field. Conference-affiliation means nothing in and of itself.

(The KRACH comes to mind in that regard, being nearly perfect last year.)
          Conference-affiliation means nothing in and of itself. Aside from allowing for travel partners, post season play (conference title), an AQ and marketing/prestige by affiliation (for better or worse).
          Larry Normandin
          SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
          WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by jconnor View Post
            I guess you either have no clue, or conveniently forgot how (good?) UC was when they came to the ECAC-W.
            They were around .500, and had plenty of up-side., considering the venue, etc...

If you think either Stevenson or LVC will ever amount to a pinch of s#!t, I can only admire your optimism. Their inclusion will actually drag the conference down. Why would Hobart, EC, Naz and UC want to drive forever to beat down some cupcakes? It's just going to waste valuable opportunities to schedule quality OOC competition.

(And, how are gonna recruit at either newcomer when there's traditionally been zero fans at LVC, similar prospects at Stevenson, and you're trying to sell spending 5 months on a bus every winter? It's a bad idea for everybody involved.)

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
              Conference-affiliation means nothing in and of itself. Aside from allowing for travel partners, post season play (conference title), an AQ and marketing/prestige by affiliation (for better or worse).
              Plymouth is in a conference, probably had a travel-partner, and got an AQ... But had no business being in the field of 11.

I rest my case.

Comment

Plymouth is in a conference, probably had a travel-partner, and got an AQ... But had no business being in the field of 11.

I rest my case.
                Your case being that you have you no regard for the process? I disagree with the lack of transparency (particularly the "need" of keeping the final ranking secret), back when the NCAA screwed Adrian out of a bid, I showed my disdain for the process. But I never rejected the very valuable benefits of competing for an AQ. Yes, the DII schools face an even worse disadvantage, with NO chance at any bid. The "business" of getting into "the field of 11" is the goal of the DIII athlete, qualifying for the AQ should be the goal of the institution and its conference administrators - while they can't flick a magic wand, they can work at utilizing all available resources to getting the objective done - it need not be ideal - becoming ideal can be worked on after - meeting the publicized criteria is the best one can reasonably hope for.

THAT is my case.
                Last edited by norm1909; 04-26-2015, 06:16 AM.
                Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

I rest my case.
                  Do your homework. There are 7 teams in the MASCAC and there are no overnight league game trips. Hence, no need for travel partners.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    Do your homework. There are 7 teams in the MASCAC and there are no overnight league game trips. Hence, no need for travel partners.
                    It's Fish, he doesn't have to. He's always right, duh.

On a serious note (ECAC West related) Hobart and football offensive lineman Ali Marpet is all over SportsCenter Projected as a 3rd or 4th round pick (rated 4th best OL) and the first Statesman to be in the NFL since 1937. Maybe all the PR will get Hobart to build a new rink for hockey....
                    Remy Babineaux
                    remyb616@gmail.com
                    D3FHL Web Page

Comment

• Re: Stevenson starts D-III men's hockey, joins ECAC West!

One thing about Fish....he keeps a thread going and keeps the board active on the off season !!!

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

All I will say on Lebanon Valley is that sometimes you need to hit rock bottom to realize what you need to do to create a successful program. The Aud may be nice and all, I'm not sure the Hersheypark Arena is that much of a drop off tho....that's if they don't have plans to build their own rink instead of traveling the 9 miles from campus...(btw how far is Murray from EC? yea thought so).....

As far as Stevenson goes, they have a pretty decent athletic program at the University. Ranked in a lot of sports. If they can support their men's hockey team like they do their other sports, they will be just fine. Oh and I believe their "independent" womens team (16-8-1) came up and played Utica ...how'd that go?

Sure we would all love 8 teams with in 30 miles, 16 team tournaments, multi-game series, and partridge in a pear tree....but
                        Remy Babineaux
                        remyb616@gmail.com
                        D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                          All I will say on Lebanon Valley is that sometimes you need to hit rock bottom to realize what you need to do to create a successful program. The Aud may be nice and all, I'm not sure the Hersheypark Arena is that much of a drop off tho....that's if they don't have plans to build their own rink instead of traveling the 9 miles from campus...(btw how far is Murray from EC? yea thought so).....

As far as Stevenson goes, they have a pretty decent athletic program at the University. Ranked in a lot of sports. If they can support their men's hockey team like they do their other sports, they will be just fine. Oh and I believe their "independent" womens team (16-8-1) came up and played Utica ...how'd that go?

Sure we would all love 8 teams with in 30 miles, 16 team tournaments, multi-game series, and partridge in a pear tree....but
                          Stevenson DOES need an on campus rink. Reisterstown is marginal for ECAC-W hockey. If they don't get one started within 2 years, the program will not be able to attract the recruits necessary to compete in the -W (Leb Valley 1.0 redux).
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Stevenson DOES need an on campus rink. Reisterstown is marginal for ECAC-W hockey. If they don't get one started within 2 years, the program will not be able to attract the recruits necessary to compete in the -W (Leb Valley 1.0 redux).
                            The Reisterstown Sportsplex is Baltimore County's premier sports facility, providing high quality recreation programs and family entertainment. It is conveniently located at the end of I-795 in the Reisterstown Regional Park. This facility houses a 200 x 85 foot NHL ice rink.

Doesn't say it has seats
                            Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

While the author's credibility may be questioned , this is an article from 2011 when they added women's hockey.
                              Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
                                The Reisterstown Sportsplex is Baltimore County's premier sports facility, providing high quality recreation programs and family entertainment. It is conveniently located at the end of I-795 in the Reisterstown Regional Park. This facility houses a 200 x 85 foot NHL ice rink.

Doesn't say it has seats
                                Some photos here: https://plus.google.com/photos/at/104994616979657536027
                                Last edited by Birdwatcher; 04-26-2015, 01:29 PM.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Working...
                                X