Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stevenson starts D-III men's hockey, joins ECAC West!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stevenson starts D-III men's hockey, joins ECAC West!

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    Gonna be a brutal travel schedule for the W in general though... 14-18 hours round-trip for Hobart, Naz and UC to PA or MD.

If I'm a current W coach, I'd want neither LVC nor Stevenson in. They are just too far to go to -at best- garner a couple of low-value wins. (I'm assuming that both programs will struggle in their first few seasons.)

As it is, the W generally gets a team in the PS anyway, and it's never a random AQ. I prefer that situation.
    This may be the dumbest think you have posted yet Fish LVC and Stevenson are all only about an Hour and a half from Aston where all these school are already going. Hell For Naz the trip to Stevenson (the longer of the two new drives) is only two miles longer then the trip to M'ville.

Comment

Originally posted by UCAlum32 View Post
      This may be the dumbest think you have posted yet Fish LVC and Stevenson are all only about an Hour and a half from Aston where all these school are already going. Hell For Naz the trip to Stevenson (the longer of the two new drives) is only two miles longer then the trip to M'ville.
      Your forgetting that Utica generally doesn't travel at all
      Larry Normandin
      SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
      WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Assuming you have Hobart/Elmira, Naz/Utica, Manh/Neumann, LebValley/Stevenson as partners the average round trip for the ECAC West is 580ish miles, in comparison to the SUNYAC (406 miles). I havn't sat down and done up the NCHA or MIAC but for some reason I think it's probably farther. (keep in mind these are ROUND TRIP numbers that include travel between the two away sites and then back home)
        Remy Babineaux
        remyb616@gmail.com
        D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
          Assuming you have Hobart/Elmira, Naz/Utica, Manh/Neumann, LebValley/Stevenson as partners the average round trip for the ECAC West is 580ish miles, in comparison to the SUNYAC (406 miles). I havn't sat down and done up the NCHA or MIAC but for some reason I think it's probably farther. (keep in mind these are ROUND TRIP numbers that include travel between the two away sites and then back home)
          *laughs*

On Senior Night, I think it was said that our senior girls had traveled over 33,000 miles on road trips over their four years. Apparently someone sat down and figured it out one night.
          FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
            Assuming you have Hobart/Elmira, Naz/Utica,
            You wouldn't want to do Hobart/Naz, Elmira/Utica?

Comment

Who's "dumb" here, Einstein..? Are you saying that the fact that the W already has to log a ton a ton of miles means that adding two more brutal trips is somehow moot..? (Well, hell, let's invite Lake Forest, too!)

And why bother? Neither team is likely to add value to UC's schedule; in fact, they are very likely to degrade it. I'd rather see eg. OSU, PSU and Trinity on the docket, no AQ for the W, and let it's best team get a Pool C.

The W lives and dies by it's SOS. I'm fine with that.
              Last edited by Fishman'81; 04-24-2015, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Who's "dumb" here, Einstein..? Are you saying that the fact that the W already has to log a ton a ton of miles means that adding two more brutal trips is somehow moot..? (Well, hell, let's invite Lake Forest, too!)

And why bother? Neither team is likely to add value to UC's schedule; in fact, they are very likely to degrade it. I'd rather see eg. OSU, PSU and Trinity on the docket, no AQ for the W, and let it's best team get a Pool C.

Mr. Fish....Have you ever driven from Plattsburgh to Fredonia in the winter? Now that's a trip even in good weather !! They are not high school kids...most have them have played Jr hockey and have traveled more than you will ever know !

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
                  Mr. Fish....Have you ever driven from Plattsburgh to Fredonia in the winter? Now that's a trip even in good weather !! They are not high school kids...most have them have played Jr hockey and have traveled more than you will ever know !
                  Yeah but there's a lot of short trips in the SUNYAC, too... And these kids aren't in Juniors anymore. The assumption is that they are student-athletes in college.

But, to put it in the most cynical terms, this move makes no sense in terms of hockey. Adding two cannon-fodder teams (with major travel concerns) in order to guarantee a berth that is generally earned by the W's best team isn't likely to improve how the conference fares nationally.

Comment

If the tournament field does expand, adding two teams gets us nearer to a 12 team field.

What exactly IS an onerous road trip? 6 hours? Rochester to Reisterstown is under 6 hours.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Maybe the lack of an autobid for ECAC West teams has hurt them in recruiting over the last 5 years. Think about it, the league is a shell of what it was a few years ago with Hobart the only team with a solid season last year. Even then, hobart got shellacked by Oswego in the first round.

You can't tell me that when kids went to other schools for visits that they wouldn't say ohhh...you know ECAC west teams don't automatically get into the tournament if they win your league right?

Kids want to play in the NCAA Tournament and they want to go to schools where they have a shot at doing that. Playing an entire 25 game season like its the playoffs like the ECAC west teams are forced to do can grow incredibly tiresome on the mind and body. Every loss hurts that much more without an AQ.
                      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                      GO LAKERS!!!
                      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                      Oswego State '09

Comment

Well, hell, let's invite Lake Forest, too!
                        You so crazy, Fish! What makes you think LF would be interested? They already play in a better league with an AQ, silly.

Kudos on your kooky internet persona. Nobody does it quite like you...
                        Last edited by altazo; 04-25-2015, 10:18 AM.

Comment

I'm not sure I'd want to travel to Baltimore every year. Is their joining the league really a good thing?

Comment

And why bother? Neither team is likely to add value to UC's schedule; in fact, they are very likely to degrade it.
                            I guess you either have no clue, or conveniently forgot how (good?) UC was when they came to the ECAC-W.
                            Elmira College (2006 ECAC-W Champions. 2006,2008 Final Four Semi-Finalist)
                            Guelph Storm (2004 OHL Champions)
                            Die Hard Leafs Fan (Still Waiting )

http://community.webshots.com/user/jpconnor55

Comment

FWIW,

The NCHA "currently" is at an average of 268 miles between opponents. Adding Aurora next season will put it at 264 miles. 50 miles more average then the ECAC West, yet I don't see too many people whining about that? I'd say they've done pretty good too with all those bus legs...
                              Remy Babineaux
                              remyb616@gmail.com
                              D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by jconnor View Post
                                I guess you either have no clue, or conveniently forgot how (good?) UC was when they came to the ECAC-W.
                                Come on now. If it wasn't for all those crappy automatic bids, Utica would have been in the NCAA Tournament every year. They were FOR REAL!
                                Last edited by PSUChamps2001; 04-25-2015, 06:38 PM.
                                Remy Babineaux
                                remyb616@gmail.com
                                D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Working...
                                X