Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stevenson starts D-III men's hockey, joins ECAC West!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stevenson starts D-III men's hockey, joins ECAC West!

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
    Yes, but even with nothing but full DIII members you only get the AQ after 2 full consecutive years with 7 members.
    I think I got my wires crossed between team postseason eligibility and conference autobid eligibility. So Stevenson is immediately eligible to win the ECAC West and play in the national tourney if granted a bid, but the ECAC West conference they play in has to play with 7 members for two straight seasons before getting an autobid.

Thanks for the clarification.

Comment

I was told that there will be no 2-year waiting period for the ECAC-West autobid to take effect. This has to do with how and when the paperwork was filed. This coming from as reliable a source as it gets, unless he is wrong.

Comment

There is the possibility that my source could be wrong. I guess we'll see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by OSU2010 View Post
          The NCAA can wave a year of probation, I think they did it with Morrisville
          Different kind of probation. Morrisville was transitioning into NCAA DIII. The requirement is 4 years probation, however Morrisville had a one year "exploratory" year in which they hadn't joined the NCAA, but adhered to the rules. They were given credit for the exploratory year as their first year of probation. There won't be a probationary period for Stevenson since they are already DIII school, but don't sponsor hockey. They can start immediately, but the conference has to play two consecutive years with seven core members. The ECAC W had seven members briefly before RIT jumped ship. Canton has one more year of probation - they did not get forgiven their exploratory year.
          2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
          2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
          2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
          2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Canton got a year waived so should be full fledged d3 for 15-16. Most likely will have to wait 2 years to become sunyac member. Could be sunyac 17-18 unless sunyac changes by laws and waives eligibility requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by scoopnroll View Post
              Canton got a year waived so should be full fledged d3 for 15-16. Most likely will have to wait 2 years to become sunyac member. Could be sunyac 17-18 unless sunyac changes by laws and waives eligibility requirements.
              So they must have gotten credit for the exploratory year.
              2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
              2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
              2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
              2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                So they must have gotten credit for the exploratory year.
                Membership Process Acceleration

Membership Process Acceleration – NCAA Bylaw 20.3.3 (Four-Year
                Provision) – State University of New York at Canton.

Management Council. The Council approved the request from State
                University of New York at Canton to waive the four-year participation
                requirement in Bylaw 20.3.3 and bypass year three of the provisional
                membership process.

In its recommendation to approve the waiver, the NCAA Division III
                Membership Committee accepted the institution’s annual report and noted
                that the institution demonstrated compelling and exemplary
                evidence of its preparedness to enter year four of the membership
                process.
                In addition, the committee noted that the institution satisfied all
                minimum requirements for consideration for a waiver per Bylaw 20.3.3.1.1.

Presidents Council. No action was necessary
                Larry Normandin
                SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by scoopnroll View Post
                  Has Canton officially applied to the SUNYAC?

The last I heard, they were still up in the air over what conference they want to join. And I'm talking the whole school, not just the hockey team. That decision has to be made first before they figure out the hockey team (if they don't join the SUNYAC).
                  Russell Jaslow
                  [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                  U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                    Has Canton officially applied to the SUNYAC?

The last I heard, they were still up in the air over what conference they want to join. And I'm talking the whole school, not just the hockey team. That decision has to be made first before they figure out the hockey team (if they don't join the SUNYAC).
                    There appear to be two options for Canton - SUNYAC or ECAC-W.
                    Geography supports the SUNYAC. No league travel out of state which saves money and an 18 game conference schedule which limits OOC games which could cost money to travel to. They could pair with Potsdam for OOC so a team could come North and play 2 - a win win for the Bears and Roos.

The ECAC-W leaves them with the same problems as Stevenson - a geographic outlier. Expensive travel / the Tappan Zee Bridge / 3 major metropolitan areas for overnight stays.

From a $ and cents, the SUNYAC should be their choice of destination.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Add Lebanon Valley to the ECAC-W
                      http://ecacsports.com/d3hockey/mens_...lebanon_valley
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        ok lets see who goes classless first

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          Excerpt:

Stevenson was the most recent program to join the league in March, making the league eligible for an automatic qualification into the NCAA Tournament. The WIAC could see the pool B disappear as early as the 2018-19 season.
                          Larry Normandin
                          SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                          WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

I love this. This means that ECAC West DIII hockey will be played 5 minutes from my house!!!
                            The Titanic only had one Captain..........
                            "You're holding your mouth wrong." Jim Cole
                            "Don't take any wooden nickels." Ray Rouse
                            9 Time World Champion Boston Red Sox ('03,'12,'15,'16,'18,2004, '07, '13, '18)

Comment

Originally posted by sacole13 View Post
                              I love this. This means that ECAC West DIII hockey will be played 5 minutes from my house!!!
                              Gonna be a brutal travel schedule for the W in general though... 14-18 hours round-trip for Hobart, Naz and UC to PA or MD.

If I'm a current W coach, I'd want neither LVC nor Stevenson in. They are just too far to go to -at best- garner a couple of low-value wins. (I'm assuming that both programs will struggle in their first few seasons.)

As it is, the W generally gets a team in the PS anyway, and it's never a random AQ. I prefer that situation.
                              Last edited by Fishman'81; 04-23-2015, 10:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                                Gonna be a brutal travel schedule for the W in general though... 14-18 hours round-trip for Hobart, Naz and UC to PA or MD.

If I'm a current W coach, I'd want neither LVC nor Stevenson in. They are just too far to go to -at best- garner a couple of low-value wins. (I'm assuming that both programs will struggle in their first few seasons.)

As it is, the W generally gets a team in the PS anyway, and it's never a random AQ. I prefer that situation.
                                You have got to be kidding me...this is the best news to happen to the ECAC west since 2003.
                                The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                                "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                                GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                                GO LAKERS!!!
                                GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                                "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                                Oswego State '09

Comment

Working...
                                X