Bill Beaney's successor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bill Beaney's successor

What about Mark Taylor? He was one of Beaney's first assistants at Middlebury back in late 80s.. Has done very very well at Hobart obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by goonshow View Post
      What about Mark Taylor? He was one of Beaney's first assistants at Middlebury back in late 80s.. Has done very very well at Hobart obviously.
      Considering what he's busy doing in the coming couple of weeks (NCAA tournament) and what Middlebury is busy doing (getting ready for golf season), leaving Hobart for Middlebury looks like a lateral move at best and if you asked me which job I'd take right now, it would be Hobart.
      Steve
      Penn State Class of '95
      Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
        Considering what he's busy doing in the coming couple of weeks (NCAA tournament) and what Middlebury is busy doing (getting ready for golf season), leaving Hobart for Middlebury looks like a lateral move at best and if you asked me which job I'd take right now, it would be Hobart.
        haha that might be one of the funniest things I've read on these forums in awhile!

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
          You obviously need to come spend some quality time at the Cooler at 7am on a brisk windy Saturday morning. Being able to feel your fingertips come the 12 minute mark of the 1st period would be a great start in wanting to move. I say it all the time if Hobart ever gets a real rink, watch out. It would be a very welcomed addition!
          Remy Babineaux
          remyb616@gmail.com
          D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Mark Digby
            LETS GO BEARS!

"Never play flag football in the nude"-Bob Kevoian

"Don't let anyone tell you what we do builds character, it only reveals it." J.Marsh

SUNY Potsdam '98

St.Lawrence '00

Mike St. Louis is not a BUM!

Comment

Originally posted by Saints17 View Post
              Mark Digby
              I suggested him, too. He's certainly my favorite, among current assistants, to make the jump into a head coaching position.
              Plattsburgh CARDINALS
              SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
              ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
              NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
              NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
              NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
              NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Originally posted by Golden007 View Post
                I hear Jeff Beaney is available. Oh wait.....he stepped down too, with a dismal record. I suspect that D1 assistants will be provide the best options.
                Classy!

Comment

What about the other Bill at Middlebury? Will he want to switch over from the women's team after so many years of success with that program to try to bring the men's program back to the top? I'd say he knows Middlebury better than any other potential candidate.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                    What about the other Bill at Middlebury? Will he want to switch over from the women's team after so many years of success with that program to try to bring the men's program back to the top? I'd say he knows Middlebury better than any other potential candidate.
                    Id be shocked if Coach Mandigo jumped ship to the guys side. He's got a great gig going on the women's side as a perennial power every year with a chance to win a national championship with only a few other schools with a legitimate shot at beating his team on a consistent basis.

On the flip side, he'd be going to a .500 program with a much higher degree of difficult and competitiveness where he isn't the top dog and has actually been usurped in recent years by Trinity, Amherst, Bowdoin, Williams...

Doesn't make much sense to me.
                    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                    GO LAKERS!!!
                    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                    Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                      Id be shocked if Coach Mandigo jumped ship to the guys side. He's got a great gig going on the women's side as a perennial power every year with a chance to win a national championship with only a few other schools with a legitimate shot at beating his team on a consistent basis.

On the flip side, he'd be going to a .500 program with a much higher degree of difficult and competitiveness where he isn't the top dog and has actually been usurped in recent years by Trinity, Amherst, Bowdoin, Williams...

Doesn't make much sense to me.

You've proven my point. He's got an easy gig (as do all the top DIII women's teams - Norwich, Plattsburgh, Elmira). He must be bored basically going through the motions every year on his way to the NCAA tournament. Switching over makes perfect sense because getting the men's program back to the top would be a great challenge for a proven top level coach, or are you saying he's lazy and/or afraid of the challenge?! Doesn't he think he could succeed? He's got a pretty big ego so I would think he probably believes he could. What better salesperson could there be for Middlebury? Or will his ego keep him safe staying in his current gig? After all if he fails to get the men's program back to elite status that could tarnish his coaching reputation and he's probably afraid of that possibility.
                      Last edited by shelfit; 03-10-2015, 01:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                        You've proven my point. He's got an easy gig (as do all the top DIII women's teams - Norwich, Plattsburgh, Elmira). He must be bored basically going through the motions every year on his way to the NCAA tournament. Switching over makes perfect sense because getting the men's program back to the top would be a great challenge for a proven top level coach, or are you saying he's lazy and/or afraid of the challenge?! Doesn't he think he could succeed? He's got a pretty big ego so I would think he probably believes he could. What better salesperson could there be for Middlebury? Or will his ego keep him safe staying in his current gig? After all if he fails to get the men's program back to elite status that could tarnish his coaching reputation and he's probably afraid of that possibility.
                        He's saying that a lateral-at-best move, within the same school, for presumably around the same pay, to a position with less job security is idiotic. Ego obviously has nothing to do with it - quite the opposite, in fact. "The challenge" has nothing on continuing to receive a steady paycheck in the town where he and his family have lived for nearly 30 years.
                        Go Cards: win or lose, The Better Team.
                        A Lot of (Sometimes Tainted) SUNYAC Championships
                        A Handful of ECAC West Championships
                        A Number of NCAA Appearances, Including Several Trips to the Final Four, Though Some of Them Don't Count
                        Some National Championships:
                        Women's (THIS YEAR, LAST YEAR, A Couple Years Back, '08, '07)
                        Men's (Wow Look at the Time Pass, A While before That)

Comment

Originally posted by Dyce View Post
                          He's saying that a lateral-at-best move, within the same school, for presumably around the same pay, to a position with less job security is idiotic. Ego obviously has nothing to do with it - quite the opposite, in fact. "The challenge" has nothing on continuing to receive a steady paycheck in the town where he and his family have lived for nearly 30 years.
                          don't think that job security is really a concern for NESCAC men's hockey coaches. Trying to remember when one was last canned and cannot remember even one. And those who get those jobs hang onto them for decades (Meagher, Arena, Kangas and previously Beaney and Dunham)

Comment

Originally posted by d3follower View Post
                            don't think that job security is really a concern for NESCAC men's hockey coaches. Trying to remember when one was last canned and cannot remember even one. And those who get those jobs hang onto them for decades (Meagher, Arena, Kangas and previously Beaney and Dunham)
                            Nor is it in many other places around DIII, but it does happen, and it doesn't seem all that prudent to invite the possibility for no reason beyond a nebulous feeling of accomplishment that can just as easily be satisfied by national championships at his current position (or not, but that's purely speculative no matter which way you slice it).
                            Go Cards: win or lose, The Better Team.
                            A Lot of (Sometimes Tainted) SUNYAC Championships
                            A Handful of ECAC West Championships
                            A Number of NCAA Appearances, Including Several Trips to the Final Four, Though Some of Them Don't Count
                            Some National Championships:
                            Women's (THIS YEAR, LAST YEAR, A Couple Years Back, '08, '07)
                            Men's (Wow Look at the Time Pass, A While before That)

Comment

Originally posted by d3follower View Post
                              Tenure.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Dyce View Post
                                Nor is it in many other places around DIII, but it does happen, and it doesn't seem all that prudent to invite the possibility for no reason beyond a nebulous feeling of accomplishment that can just as easily be satisfied by national championships at his current position (or not, but that's purely speculative no matter which way you slice it).
                                You might as well kill yourself now if you are that scared of life. . .

Comment

Working...
                                X