Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lebanon Valley returning to NCAA varsity in 2016-17!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lebanon Valley returning to NCAA varsity in 2016-17!

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
    Didn't they go "O-fer" 2 or 3 seasons in a row before they folded?
    http://www.hockeydb.com/stte/suny-binghamton-10150.html

Overall, Binghamton went 7-90-0. Amazingly, no ties.

For two years (1988-89 and 1989-90), they went 0-45 with a GF-GA of 61-575 (They were very consistent in GA between the two years -- 287 and 288).

It doesn't list the individual season records, so you can't figure out how long that 45 game losing streak extended from the previous year and into the following year.

I was surprised it says they played in the ECAC West. I know Binghamton was a SUNYAC member, but perhaps that was around the time the school was moving up to D1 and thus had already withdrawn from the SUNYAC, and therefore the hockey team had to find a home elsewhere.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      Didn't Iona actually play a season or two in the MAAC?
      Yes. As did Fairfield University. They both dropped hockey in 2003.

They actually lasted five years (1998-2003) and, interestingly, Iona was in the championship game in MAAC's second year, losing to UConn, 6-1.
      Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
        LVC was on a 60-game losing streak when they folded. Their last 3 seasons were a combined 1-73-1. Their 6 seasons as members of the ECAC West were a combined 12-135-3, with a combined conference record of 1-85-1 (they had 2 wins over Neumann their first year in the conference, but one was a Non-Conference game)
        Let's not forget, LVC started out in the ECAC Northeast, and did quite well there. In fact, some of their fellow members felt they did too well, which is they supposedly got kicked out of ... I mean left the NE to go to the ECAC West.

They earned the NCAA automatic bid from the NE in 2000-1 and had to play RIT in the NCAA quarterfinals, then a two-game series. RIT gave them a prelude of what the ECAC West was going to be like for them, beating LVC, 8-1 and 10-2.
        Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
          LVC back in the W..? Talk about a kick in the sack for the rest of the conference's SOS!
          YUP ! Tell the SUNYAC about it.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

Overall, Binghamton went 7-90-0. Amazingly, no ties.

For two years (1988-89 and 1989-90), they went 0-45 with a GF-GA of 61-575 (They were very consistent in GA between the two years -- 287 and 288).
            Wow, better than 12 goals a game against, that is down right awful.

Comment

I was surprised it says they played in the ECAC West. I know Binghamton was a SUNYAC member, but perhaps that was around the time the school was moving up to D1 and thus had already withdrawn from the SUNYAC, and therefore the hockey team had to find a home elsewhere.
              I could be wrong......Wasn't that back when the SUNYAC was somehow part of the ECAC W. They'd have their tournament the week prior to the ECAC W Tourney. I remember around the same time frame (88 - 90) a mediocre Oswego team having upset someone and won the SUNYAC the week prior and then playing an ECAC W tournament game and losing to an Elmira team that wasn't going anywhere. I'm sure some of the old time Plattsburgh people remember a certain trophy being left at the Domes. The SUNYAC had announced that they were no longer going to play in the ECAC W tourney and then had the screws put to the top seeded Plattsburgh and made them play in Elmira. The NCAA then put the screw to the runner up Mercyhurst and sent Elmira to Plattsburgh the next weekend.(Macnamara game) It's been a while so I could be off.

Comment

Even as a fan of Utica, it was no fun at all to watch them pummel a helpless LVC team time after time. I truly hope that if the Dutchmen come back to the W, they'll take the program more seriously than once they did. Otherwise, it won't do anyone any good.

Comment

Even as a fan of Utica, it was no fun at all to watch them pummel a helpless LVC team time after time. I truly hope that if the Dutchmen come back to the W, they'll take the program more seriously than once they did. Otherwise, it won't do anyone any good.
                  Depends where they recruit from. My son came up with this gem last night

Guess how many EHL players Norwich, Babson, Boston, Trinity, Amherst, Oswego, Hobart, Platty, Williams have between them?
                  The answer is 7 with only a smaller # getting meaningful playing time.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    Depends where they recruit from. My son came up with this gem last night

The answer is 7 with only a smaller # getting meaningful playing time.
                    I'm probably 95% not surprised and 5% surprised it is that low. But if I had to place my bet between those 9 teams I'm guessing the top 3 leagues in no order would OJ, Prep, USPHL.

Comment

Way back, Oswego used to play a team called St. Nicholas...I kid you not. The UB Bulls were not a bad team at all and would always give teams like Plattsburgh and Oswego trouble, Coached by ol' Ed Wright, the Bulls were tough as nails kids all from Buffalo area. Depressing arena to play in, and it seemed like it was a constant struggle to get out of there with 2 points. Another team that used to surface a lot was College Militaire Royal who were like a less talented Norwich. Got knocked out cold against them with a clean, brutal hit. No penalty. In today's game it would've been a game DQ for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Cards81 View Post
                        Way back, Oswego used to play a team called St. Nicholas...I kid you not. The UB Bulls were not a bad team at all and would always give teams like Plattsburgh and Oswego trouble, Coached by ol' Ed Wright, the Bulls were tough as nails kids all from Buffalo area. Depressing arena to play in, and it seemed like it was a constant struggle to get out of there with 2 points. Another team that used to surface a lot was College Militaire Royal who were like a less talented Norwich. Got knocked out cold against them with a clean, brutal hit. No penalty. In today's game it would've been a game DQ for sure.
                        Potsdam used to play the Royal Military College (the West Point of Canada) all the time. I even went up witht the team once to cover a game there. That's when I learned the Canucks put vinager on their fries...
                        Russell Jaslow

Comment

JFC!!! Enough is ENOUGH!!!
                          http://www.usphl.com/news_article/sh...rer_id=1452697
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Potsdam used to play the Royal Military College (the West Point of Canada) all the time. I even went up witht the team once to cover a game there. That's when I learned the Canucks put vinager on their fries...
                            So do Vermonters !! Ever been to Al's French Fries ?? Vinegar is numero uno condiment !!!

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeyfan2113 View Post
                              I'm probably 95% not surprised and 5% surprised it is that low. But if I had to place my bet between those 9 teams I'm guessing the top 3 leagues in no order would OJ, Prep, USPHL.
                              The overage "kids" from the OJHL are who you want in Eastern D-3, and the evidence is compelling. Just look at the perennially successful programs from out here over the recent years and look up the birth-dates. (Not that it's easy to do so; unlike D-1, they never seem to be listed on the programs or on the team sites... A dirty little secret of D-3 hockey.)

I don't know if that necessarily translates in some similar fashion across the nation, but I do seem to remember UWEC having a bunch of 24+ guys on its roster when they steamrolled the field in Placid a couple of years ago.

I'm not saying that all the better programs don't do it, mind you, but many D-3 players enter college a full 4 years older than do even most D-1 guys... Other D-3 guys are 18 when they show up. Ergo, it's men against boys in certain games.
                              Last edited by Fishman'81; 02-28-2015, 09:24 PM.

Comment

The overage "kids" from the OJHL are who you want in Eastern D-3, and the evidence is compelling. Just look at the perennially successful programs from out here over the recent years and look up the birth-dates. (Not that it's easy to do so; unlike D-1, they never seem to be listed on the programs or on the team sites... A dirty little secret of D-3 hockey.)

I don't know if that necessarily translates in some similar fashion across the nation, but I do seem to remember UWEC having a bunch of 24+ guys on its roster when they steamrolled the field in Placid a couple of years ago.

I'm not saying that all the better programs don't do it, mind you, but many D-3 players enter college a full 4 years older than do even most D-1 guys... Other D-3 guys are 18 when they show up. Ergo, it's men against boys in certain games.
                                100% agree. Big difference when players are 24/25 vs. 18/19. And to be fair, that is usually who the better players are when they come to D3 and it can be simply because they are older, bigger, faster, stronger.

Issue with juniors for D3 is that so many of these kids wait their 1st or 2nd year for offers from D1 schools. Then its not until their last year do they accept that they arent getting an offer then they go D3 (if they go at all (Penn St. Club, Arizona/Arizona St club, etc.). Then with so many 20/21 freshmen from OJ, CJ, NA, etc, that forces prep school kids either to still go but be squeezing into last spots unless they are special players, or go to other D3 programs that may be high level but more often they arent high level or they go play juniors because the coaches may perceive them as smaller, younger, not as physically capable, not mature enough, etc. and they want to play.

Comment

Working...
                                X