• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
    It was an honest question...
    An honest question I answered honestly
    Plattsburgh CARDINALS
    SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
    ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
    NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
    NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
    NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
    NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Re: 1987 PSU team

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
      I will try to convert it to a digital format and get it uploaded.
      Be careful how you tread there. The NCAA probably still holds broadcasting rights to that game (in fact, they were selling all sorts of DVDs of old championship games in all kinds of sports).

It's one thing for them to take away a championship. It's another to receive nasty letters from their lawyers...
      Russell Jaslow
      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
        LoL ...game...set...match thanks Nate lol

Has anyone heard more on the proposal to overturn the vacancy? I know a lot of people were pretty ticked off when a certain school was told "not to do it again" after they handed out basic full ride scholarships to 98% athletes after winning a championship, yet Plattsburgh still gets stuck with the * for doing much less. As Steve said, after all the NCAA let's teams/players/coaches get away with these days, had 1987 been 2007, I couldn't see anything other then a slap on the Neumann wrist. IMO its time to give the proper credit and dues publically to the players who earned and won the darn thing. To some it will continue to be a cute little punch line, but for those who were there, played, coached, supported we know what happened. I'm sure if you asked a few Non-Cardinal DIII players during that time anonymously from other top notch programs, there were several "Plattsburgh's" (or Plattsburg's for those who would be confused) going on. I still don't believe A. Plattsburgh was the only team out there doing such (no it doesn't mean its right), and on the same note B. Those extra benefits were not the ONLY reason why they chose to go to Plattsburgh (a few phone calls home *no cell phones*, a few Montreal Canadien trips, a few dinners and housing help does NOT equal giving out scholarships to 98% athletes sorry...I mean a few perks or a free ride to school hmm). I really wish the book would have come out so we could read some of the conversations and interviews.
        Free housing is a BIG deal. Just ask Reggie Bush... And it was free housing. It wasn't just "help." And I suspect that's what really cost them in the eyes of the NCAA.

The rest of that stuff is kind of frivolous. I understand why those rules are in place, otherwise they will be abused big time. But athletes getting certain limited perks should be allowed. It's just so darn hard to know where to draw the line.
        Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
          I was a 17yr old male and President of the PSUC computer Explorer post and knew enough to rally our nerds to volunteer for the events, but not much of hockey. Plattsburgh State Hockey, which formed in the 1975-76 season wasn't any where like it is today, perhaps if the March 7, 1981, Plattsburgh State men's hockey team win over Oswego State, 7-6 had been March 7, 1979, things would have been a lot different
          I saw Plattsburgh wipe out Potsdam, 19-2, in 1979. They certainly were pretty darn good in hockey before 1980.
          Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
            Free housing is a BIG deal. Just ask Reggie Bush... And it was free housing. It wasn't just "help." And I suspect that's what really cost them in the eyes of the NCAA.

The rest of that stuff is kind of frivolous. I understand why those rules are in place, otherwise they will be abused big time. But athletes getting certain limited perks should be allowed. It's just so darn hard to know where to draw the line.
            But giving out scholarships (some adding up to a complete FREE ride) is fine? Sorry. As I said, with all the bull-crap that the NCAA let's go with a slap on the hand, this was not AS big of a deal or I will argue the same as others that have gotten away with things. I am not saying what happened Plattsburgh was 100% in the right, they were not. Yes I've read the NCAA Investigation report, and as with any "Institutional Report" the truth is somewhere in the middle. I understand "just because Bobby is doing it doesn't give me permission to do it", but just as I said if you don't think the other top D3 schools of that time weren't doing some shady stuff behind the scenes you're greatly mistaken. The problem then becomes was it Fair vs. Fair on the ice? Was it cheater vs. cheater on the ice? Was it cheater vs. cheater who just didn't get caught on the ice? We know what the NCAA said and did, but it doesn't mean we have to agree it was right as I don't think A LOT of things they do is right. Until I see "Plattsburgh was the ONLY team in Division III handing out benefits which caused all the players (insert players name) to go there" or "All the (insert players name) only went to Plattsburgh because it was the only school giving out benefits, and those are the only reason they went there", then I stick by my thoughts that those players on the 1987 came to Plattsburgh because they wanted to, and won a National Championship because they were that good on the ice together. The NCAA can say what they want, the non-PSU supporters can say what they want, and the Plattsburgh supporters can say what they want. Everyone is correct in their opinion from both sides of the thing and I too can see how some may feel against it, but I can also see how some can be for it. That team won a championship on the ice, and THAT no one can take away. Trophies (which as was pointed out) can be taken away (see Mr.Bush), but the memories can not.
            Remy Babineaux
            remyb616@gmail.com
            D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
              I saw Plattsburgh wipe out Potsdam, 19-2, in 1979. They certainly were pretty darn good in hockey before 1980.
              Those 2 missed PAT's really made a difference...ouch...
              LETS GO BEARS!

"Never play flag football in the nude"-Bob Kevoian

"Don't let anyone tell you what we do builds character, it only reveals it." J.Marsh

SUNY Potsdam '98

St.Lawrence '00

Mike St. Louis is not a BUM!

Comment

Originally posted by Saints17 View Post
                Those 2 missed PAT's really made a difference...ouch...
                But that safety you got avoided the shutout
                Oswego'08, '10

From the shores of Lake Ontario to the island of Hilton Head...

2011-2012 SUNYAC Pick 'Em Champion!
                2011-2012 D3FHL Overall Points Champs!

Comment

Working...
                X