Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1/17/15 - Mad Cows and Angry Birds! Green Mountain Men! Point me to the Falls!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1/17/15 - Mad Cows and Angry Birds! Green Mountain Men! Point me to the Falls!

Originally posted by Cards81 View Post
    With regard to "difficulties winning consistently" I submit this: (both coaches began their careers in 1989-90)

Bob Emery (554-175-57), .741 Win Percentage, Zero losing seasons, 16 NCAA tournaments, 9 Final Fours, 2 National Championships.
    Bill Kangas (344-232-58), .588 Win Percentage, Eight losing seasons, 0?? NCAA tournaments, 0 Final Fours, 0 National Championships

Good night and please drive safely !!
    While we're at it!

Bill Beaney (495-161-45) ..... 8 National Championships

Comment

Re: 1/17/15 - Mad Cows and Angry Birds! Green Mountain Men! Point me to the Falls!

Bill Beaney...still the measuring stick. McShane not far behind. Coughlin might pass them all someday at St. Norbert. These guys (+Emery) have piled up 20 win seasons and conference championships like firewood. Billy Kangas is a good college hockey coach, but please, you've got to eventually win something of value to be considered elite.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeyfirst View Post
        If prep schools were such a high level of hockey(were more so in the past), Plattsburgh, Oswego etc. would have recruits from there. No prepschool is going to compete with the Hitmen, Jr. Bruins , Monarchs with a 45 plus schedule versus 25 games or so. Most prep school kids are playing juniors to get a shot at playing college. Camps and high level club teams are certainly great, but as you get older, playing with and against the best is the advantage. Let me simplify this for you. Williams, Middlebury etc. need players with approximately 700 plus SATs with the average studentshaving 500 . The grade point average is around 3.8 to 4.0,taking the most difficult classes in highschool. Elite athletes will certainly be admitted with lower(a few points) scores but only a handful. Therefore out of 1000 perspective hockey players, about 100 at most will meet these standards. So if you can have strong athletic programs with those standards, you are a very good coach. Oswego, St. Norbert , Plattsburgh etc. have great programs and many many more to choose from, over recruit and dispose of. If you are having difficulties winning consistently with the huge advantage of reputation and selection, who should take the blame?
        Well as a player who went to a Top prep School,and then went to both Elmira and Oswego,i'LL put in my 2 cents here,ow and Platty has a player from my prep school as well,hes a senior who has done well there.As far as the jr's most are 19/20/21 yr old and the preps are 16-19yo,BIG difference,when I was at The Hill school we played all the jr teams around and spanked them pretty good.As far as all that SAT etc etc,there are many coaches who lets just say get there player into school who may have less than "What's needed".Ow the D1 transfer thing is not a non-stop train to the final 4,look at Oswegos roster this yr they have several D1 players who are not even close to leading the team in anything.As far as coach E vs coach?? Not even going to waste time with that.Like Lakereaglelover said,learn a little more here and you will be a fine addition to the threads..
        Last edited by bakdraft21; 01-18-2015, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Williams also gives an average of nearly $47k a year in Financial Aid, so that HUGE bill "disadvantage" shrinks big time. Also, MANY TOP DI schools take Prep players from the SAME exact Prep Schools as Williams. But they don't know what they are doing either.

On top of that, when was the last time Plattsburgh had a player in the Top 10 in scoring? Going even deeper, since 2000-2001:

SUNYAC POTY
          Oswego - 4
          Fredonia - 3
          Geneseo - 2
          Potsdam - 2
          Brockport - 1
          Buff State - 1
          Plattsburgh -1

ROTY
          Oswego - 8
          Geneseo - 3
          Plattsburgh - 2
          Fredonia - 1
          Potsdam - 1
          Buff State - 1
          Plattsburgh -1

Since that time Plattsburgh has been a #3 seed twice, and a #4 seed three times and has made the SUNYAC Championship EVERY year but 1 of those 14 years. But you're right, Emery is a joke...and that included years where the administration took away the Financial Aid grants (at a time when the US Junior system and NYS hockey was well below what it is now), put major budget restrictions on the hockey program, players leaving for the pros/new job opportunities, and had to deal with other teams boosting their programs, yet Emery was still able to put a competitive team together come Feb/March.

Finally, (and start the flame now) here we go again with the "better on the scoreboard vs. better on the ice". Williams won, fair and square. Congrats and high five. Just as Emery said in the paper, you have to be happy with the effort Plattsburgh gave Saturday night. If Williams was so good, would they have given up nearly 60 shots on goal? Would they have only managed 18 shots on goal? There is no luck, Williams capitalized on the very FEW opportunities they had, but it's not like this was a team pushing Plattsburgh around up and down the ice. Take the scores away and look at shots, time of possession, heck even Plattsburgh had not one but TWO power play goals, and then tell me who probably had 6 and who had 3. Teams who get outshot 3:1 are not going to win the majority of the time. Williams did, congrats and move on. I suppose SNHU should be put ahead of Oswego as well? **IT Happens....I would have like to have seen what would have happened had Finney NOT been hurt on that first goal. Roli has about as much confidence as A-Rod being hooked up to a PED lie detector test...Would Williams have won? Who knows maybe. But I'll take a .936% and 1.79 any day.

It's time to take care of SUNYAC business. Plain and simple.
          Last edited by PSUChamps2001; 01-18-2015, 10:23 AM.
          Remy Babineaux
          remyb616@gmail.com
          D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by haulin oats View Post
            Anyone know why Plattsburgh pulled their goalie for the last 5:56 of the game when they were down by four?
            Seems pretty classless on Emery'a part.
            Classless?? I need a little help with that one. Emery has pulled the goalie a number of times in crucial games that I remember. One in particular comes to mind. At Middlebury, score 4Midd. to 1 Pburgh. E. pulls goalie with maybe 4 min. left and we closed within one and ran out of time. Final 4-3. Just one example off the top of my head at the moment give me time.

Comment

Originally posted by Birds View Post
              Classless?? I need a little help with that one. Emery has pulled the goalie a number of times in crucial games that I remember. One in particular comes to mind. At Middlebury, score 4Midd. to 1 Pburgh. E. pulls goalie with maybe 4 min. left and we closed within one and ran out of time. Final 4-3. Just one example off the top of my head at the moment give me time.
              The troll is just trying to pick fun at my comment about McShane pulling his goalie down 0-4 a few weeks ago. There is still a difference between doing it at 5 minutes and doing it at :52 seconds....some people get it, some don't....
              Remy Babineaux
              remyb616@gmail.com
              D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                The troll is just trying to pick fun at my comment about McShane pulling his goalie down 0-4 a few weeks ago. There is still a difference between doing it at 5 minutes and doing it at :52 seconds....some people get it, some don't....
                True comment about some people get it and some don't applies here, but far beyond the reaches of hockey.
                Last edited by haulin oats; 01-18-2015, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Why wouldn't McShane pull the goalie? I remember the Primelink about 3 years ago when Midd was up by 2 with 2 or 3 minutes remaining and Norwich ended up getting the equalizers and the winner by the end of regulation, I believe. If you get one by the opposing goalie, doubt and sometimes panic can set in and seemingly unbeatable leads can vanish fast.
                  Middlebury Hockey....The Greatest DIII Show on Skates

Comment

Originally posted by neumyer View Post
                    Why wouldn't McShane pull the goalie? I remember the Primelink about 3 years ago when Midd was up by 2 with 2 or 3 minutes remaining and Norwich ended up getting the equalizers and the winner by the end of regulation, I believe. If you get one by the opposing goalie, doubt and sometimes panic can set in and seemingly unbeatable leads can vanish fast.
                    Because there is a difference being down by 2 with 2 or 3 minutes left and pulling your goalie at that time to give yourself a chance to win then being down by 4 with :52 seconds left and deciding to pull your goalie then to break up a shut out, opps I mean create a "teaching" moment.
                    Remy Babineaux
                    remyb616@gmail.com
                    D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Because there is a difference being down by 2 with 2 or 3 minutes left and pulling your goalie at that time to give yourself a chance to win then being down by 4 with :52 seconds left and deciding to pull your goalie then to break up a shut out, opps I mean create a "teaching" moment.
                      It was to break the shutout - PLAIN AND SIMPLE.

But, no pulled goalie here, or here, or here, OR HERE, or here.

But maybe here.
                      Larry Normandin
                      SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                      WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post

But maybe here.
                        I've seen 2 goals scored in 2 minutes....I've yet to see 4, let alone in :52 seconds.....Notice he didn't wait till :52 seconds last night against Middlebury. Must be he felt Norwich needed a longer class in "playing with your goalie pulled"....(again down by 3 with nearly 3 minutes to go makes sense - you still have hope)
                        Remy Babineaux
                        remyb616@gmail.com
                        D3FHL Web Page

Comment

There is still a difference between doing it at 5 minutes and doing it at :52 seconds....some people get it, some don't....
                          It's a 4 minute and 8 second difference. What do I win?
                          LETS GO BEARS!

"Never play flag football in the nude"-Bob Kevoian

"Don't let anyone tell you what we do builds character, it only reveals it." J.Marsh

SUNY Potsdam '98

St.Lawrence '00

Mike St. Louis is not a BUM!

Comment

Originally posted by Saints17 View Post
                            It's a 4 minute and 8 second difference. What do I win?
                            A ticket to Friday's game at the Stafford.
                            Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by haulin oats View Post
                              True comment about some people get it and some don't applies here, but far beyond the reaches of hockey.
                              Originally posted by neumyer View Post
                              Originally posted by norm1909 View Post

But maybe here.
                              I've seen 2 goals scored in 2 minutes....I've yet to see 4, let alone in :52 seconds.....Notice he didn't wait till :52 seconds last night against Middlebury. Must be he felt Norwich needed a longer class in "playing with your goalie pulled"....(again down by 3 with nearly 3 minutes to go makes sense - you still have hope)
                              Put it to bed, people! There are a lot more important things to talk about. Cripes! Maybe we should rename it Lake Complain!
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                Put it to bed, people! There are a lot more important things to talk about. Cripes! Maybe we should rename it Lake Complain!
                                Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Working...
                                X