Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coaching Change at USM

Originally posted by Saints17 View Post
    Perhaps this topic has come to an end.....nothing more should be added to the discussion....to quote Tony Soprano, " It is what it is...".
    The Shannon Miller thread in the Women's section is getting a lot of play.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I'm not sure if Norm can find the link, but there use to be a page where it lists all the DIII teams and their NCAA appearances, one thing you will notice is there are A LOT of schools who have never made the list. To some schools its not about winning and losing, its about creating great student athletes and making them better citizens of the community. I've never had a personal dealing with Coach B, but in the times I've watched Southern Maine you always saw a disciplined and respectful hockey team, win or lose. You never hear about the "wait till you see this dirty team" like you do with others. That's a testimate to the coach, period. After 27 years and only 8 winning seasons, I don't think winning/losing was an issue, he would have been gone years ago. Since 04-05 the women's team has had 1 winning season, the men's 3. I guess their coach should be gone too. But just as was stated earlier, some schools don't put the $$ into their program like other schools, in which is fine unless they want to become elite. To some schools having a hockey team is just another way to get a few more students attracted to their school, the community something to do in the cold winter months, and let's face it college hockey even at the DIII level is just awesome. It doesn't matter how good or bad your team is. Now if the "suit and ties" expected Coach Beaney to put an NCAA contending team on the ice while handcuffing his hands year in year out with financial restriction in both financial aid, recruiting, and hockey related items (sticks, pads, ice time ect) then id ask for a mental referral on them. Plain as day this is a disgruntled player/staff issue that instead of standing up and taking a stance against the new PC world we live in, we get rid of the coach and sweep it under the rug so it looks like all is well at Southern Maine. I have no doubt hockeyfan77 knows the truth and can't/won't give out details (which always drove me nuts when it came to these things, not you hockeyfan. To those who want to send these letters and ruin someone's life, face the jury and make it public but instead the parent/student get to hide behind legal law). Now if a player was being abused (and I mean really abused, not this sissy crap people claim now days), either physically or sexually, by all means game over. But from what's been posted/written it's not even close. Is this the start of USM folding up a hockey team due to financial reasons and was their way to get Beaney "out"? All I know is the man invested his life and family to USM and the community, and unless there is a CRIME committed, shame on the school for taking the rug right out from under him and his family over a whiny little brat and his family. I love how we can point to Beaney, but now the kids who left school/remain on the team will hide forever. Those are the ones I'd love to get a "mamma's boy" chant going for, then again the NCAA doesn't like that now days either....
      Remy Babineaux
      remyb616@gmail.com
      D3FHL Web Page

Comment

A not so long time ago in a rink in Gorham.....

My son was playing goal for Salem State in the annual game vs. USM. During the game, he got tripped by his own defenseman and sustained a(nother) concussion when his head hit the ice.

After the game, he was taken to the ER for an evaluation. While there, Coach Beaney stopped in to make sure Redlight was OK (he was, but his season was finished).

I've never forgotten that act of class and kindness by Coach Beaney. And I still owe him a beer for it. Unlike a member of another thread, I intend to pay it.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          A not so long time ago in a rink in Gorham.....

My son was playing goal for Salem State in the annual game vs. USM. During the game, he got tripped by his own defenseman and sustained a(nother) concussion when his head hit the ice.

After the game, he was taken to the ER for an evaluation. While there, Coach Beaney stopped in to make sure Redlight was OK (he was, but his season was finished).

I've never forgotten that act of class and kindness by Coach Beaney. And I still owe him a beer for it. Unlike a member of another thread, I intend to pay it.
          Now that truly is a classy guy. I hope you'll be able to buy him that well deserved beer.

Comment

University of Southern Maine men’s ice hockey coach resigns

“...
            I want to sincerely thank Jeff for his 30 years of service to the university as head coach and assistant coach of the men’s ice hockey program,” USM Director of Athletics Al Bean said in the release. “ Jeff has had success on and off the ice and has helped to guide and mentor countless student-athletes who now serve as coaches and role models at many different levels.
            ...”
            Larry Normandin
            SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
            WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Politics dictated coaching change at USM

Beaney said that while it is technically a retirement in the legal sense, it is anything but retirement in his mind.

“The decision was made (Interim USM President) David Flanagan. I didn’t choose to leave now on my own. There are six weeks left in the season, and I would have liked to finish them out. (USM Athletic Director) Al (Bean) is taking the blame, but the decision was not his.”
              Larry Normandin
              SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
              WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                After many years of upstanding service, I don't think so. I love it when coaches have established themselves somewhere and all of a sudden they are out of a job. It's not as though the coaches suddenly change who they are and how they operate. It's the sign of the times we live in. One bad apple (unhappy player/parent) can truly spoil the barrel. In so many cases these days coaches lose their jobs because of low quality kids who are only going to be around for 4 years, if they last that long in the program.
                We live in a time of "helicopter parents." You would be surprised(or not) at the number of time I had parents call to complain about how "little Johnny" got a bad grade on a statistics test. I had parents threaten to go over my head when I refused to give the student a re-take on an exam that the student got a low grade on.

If this kind of whining was the reason that Beaney was let go in the middle of the season it is very sad.
                2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                  We live in a time of "helicopter parents." You would be surprised(or not) at the number of time I had parents call to complain about how "little Johnny" got a bad grade on a statistics test. I had parents threaten to go over my head when I refused to give the student a re-take on an exam that the student got a low grade on.

If this kind of whining was the reason that Beaney was let go in the middle of the season it is very sad.
                  but "little Johnny" studied for hours and hours for your test. This was after he told us he spent all day at the local food pantry serving meals to the homeless and saved Susies kitten from a burning building. "Little Johnny" is our little angel, he does no wrong! It's your fault Prof why he is failing!....

sound about right Prof?
                  Remy Babineaux
                  remyb616@gmail.com
                  D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                    but "little Johnny" studied for hours and hours for your test. This was after he told us he spent all day at the local food pantry serving meals to the homeless and saved Susies kitten from a burning building. "Little Johnny" is our little angel, he does no wrong! It's your fault Prof why he is failing!....

sound about right Prof?
                    Pretty close - actually he spent most of his time studying at the Rustic and the Knotty Shamrock...(if he was over age 21)
                    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Pretty close - actually he spent most of his time studying at the Rustic and the Knotty Shamrock...(if he was over age 21)
                      Ah yes that new library he told his parents ALL about. ..
                      Remy Babineaux
                      remyb616@gmail.com
                      D3FHL Web Page

Comment

I found the Rustic to be a source of great inspiration during my time at the Wick.

Anyways, in order for such a letter to be a cause of the dismissal it would have had to come from someone with great influence (read: money) for it to determine the fate of such a long-serving and respected member of the institution, but I suppose that's obvious. Really, the only legitimate reason that I would see for the dismissal would be the stated reason (wins and losses), and even then the timing would be rather unfortunate as after that much time and effort given to the program he should be sent off in a more dignified fashion.

I don't understand USM's refusal to commit to hockey, as some have stated here. It's not like their other athletic programs are suffering. Their baseball program is THE power in New England. Having played baseball at a school whose support of the baseball program was embarrassingly pathetic, I at least understood that hockey was king in New England.
                        Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

Is age really a factor? Or perhaps he was singing Peter, Paul and Mary songs?
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                          X