Coaching Change at USM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coaching Change at USM

I would love to take a peek at the Employee Handbook. I understand Coaches are employees at will so to speak but I can't imagine there isn't some appeal process. Then again, perhaps Coach Beaney decided it was simpler to walk away with his retirement. I still stand by my original thought, this whole thing stinks.
    LETS GO BEARS!

"Never play flag football in the nude"-Bob Kevoian

"Don't let anyone tell you what we do builds character, it only reveals it." J.Marsh

SUNY Potsdam '98

St.Lawrence '00

Mike St. Louis is not a BUM!

Comment

First let me say that to dump any employee during the holidays stinks. Regardless of who they are—hockey coach or otherwise.

But I am also not going to depend on, defend or condemn anything connected with any anonymous letter as the principle reason Beaney was asked to step down. There are just too many “he said…she said” elements in that mysterious equation which makes the evidentiary value of an anonymous letter about as valid as its lack of signature.

But I do know this.

1.) The University of Southern Maine is a university with a hockey team—not the other way around. That is what I love about DIII sports. But in USM’s case it is also university with some serious financial problems. How serious?

Twenty four days before Christmas, USM President David Flanagan announced 14 staff layoffs as the latest part of a plan to close a $16 million University budget gap for the coming fiscal year. That is real money folks. The staff positions — eight of which were within the school’s administration — represented another significant wave of job cuts in a process that has already included the elimination of 51 faculty positions and five programs since this past fall. That is a 15% cut in faculty.

Coach Beaney would have had to have been blind not to seen that simply because he has been part of the USM community for the past 30 years. What’s more his long tenure never “entitled him” —and I use that phrase only because someone in an earlier post spoke of our entitlement society—to assume he was somehow bullet proof from the kinds of cuts going on at USM.

The Beaney article in Bangor paper voices the complaint that Flanagan never visited the team. Fine, that maybe true… but the sport’s writer fails to add that Beaney’s dismissal is just one of 64 other USM staff casualties that have occurred in the last four months. What did Stalin once say, “One death is a tragedy but a million deaths is a statistics.”

In other words, surely there is personal sorrow connected to Beaney’s firing which we all sympathize with. But hey, there is also individual sorrow and pain connected to every one of those other 64 USM staffers who have also lost their jobs as well—more than a dozen before the holidays. President Flanagan’s responsibility is to keep USM financial afloat—not to keep the hockey team, fans or even some sports writer—- writing in a vacuum—happy.

But just maybe this did have more to do with Beaney’s performance than USM’s financial situation.

(2.) Okay, so how many fans, who post here on USCHOL on a regular basis, would feel satisfied if their favorite DIII hockey program had not had a winning season in seven years—and was off to a 1 and 9 start this season?

Wouldn’t they be howling for the coach’s head if their team posted that kind of performance? Are folks really suggesting that they would care less about their team’s won loss performance and more about character building quality of the program? Not likely…even in DIII. Just read what is written about Bill Beaney (Jeff’s brother) and Middlebury’s hockey coach. That man has 8 NCCAA titles and too many post season playoff games to count. Yet fans want his head because Middlebury has had some rough sledding these past few years. That is the real world.

All this sympathy for Jeff is understandable—and if Puck Voice says he is a good guy—I am sure he is. But we also live in a world where coaches are measured by victories and loses, full rinks and hopefully programs that pay for themselves and not character building, player/coach loyalty or any of that other warm fuzzy suff.

Don't mistake what I am saying. I do feel sorry for Beaney--but as a Mainer--- I am also trying to understand the whole story not just a hockey story as it relates to one of our fine Maine universities.
      Old Rook NU'66--Roll On Cadets
      Organized crime in America takes in over forty billion dollars a year and spends very little on office supplies.

Comment

I don't know enough about the details of the dismissal of Jeff Beaney at USM to make any kind of comment as to the whys and wherefores of that, but I do know that USM is in very dire economic straits and even with the cuts made, the prospect is bleak. Enrollment continues to fall and as the operating costs remain high, there is little prospect for that trend reversing. We are going to see this death spiral play out at other colleges (public and private) that are unable to keep enrollments up while continuing to ask a hefty fee for tuition while at the same time cutting back on faculty, staff, facilities, and programs. It's not a pretty picture and will affect every phase of operation at the distressed institutions.

Comment

Originally posted by puxrex View Post
          I don't know enough about the details of the dismissal of Jeff Beaney at USM to make any kind of comment as to the whys and wherefores of that, but I do know that USM is in very dire economic straits and even with the cuts made, the prospect is bleak. Enrollment continues to fall and as the operating costs remain high, there is little prospect for that trend reversing. We are going to see this death spiral play out at other colleges (public and private) that are unable to keep enrollments up while continuing to ask a hefty fee for tuition while at the same time cutting back on faculty, staff, facilities, and programs. It's not a pretty picture and will affect every phase of operation at the distressed institutions.

I think this and the Beaney issue are two very separate ones that are not really intertwined at all.

Comment

I concur, I doubt his retirement had little, if anything to do with the economics of the school. Rather the aforementioned speculation of an upset player and/or parent sounds more plausible. But alas, it is what it is.
            LETS GO BEARS!

"Don't let anyone tell you what we do builds character, it only reveals it." J.Marsh

SUNY Potsdam '98

St.Lawrence '00

Comment

Originally posted by claw View Post
              I think this and the Beaney issue are two very separate ones that are not really intertwined at all.

You would be correct....It had nothing to do with the economic issues....
              Last edited by hockeyfan77; 01-04-2015, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by claw View Post
                Maybe you are right—-the Beaney situation and USMs financial crisis are separate issues. But I am fairly certain that the interim President of USM has a lot more to be concerned about right now midst leading the search for a permanent USM President, 9,800 students and two campuses, while dealing with the layoffs of 64 faculty and staff members, the killing of five academic programs and a $16 million short fall. Those would seem to be a bigger priority that than dealing with a 2-10 hockey record the coach and maybe an anonymous letter from a whining parent/student.

Actually, I still believe blaming the anonymous letter to the Acting President of USM as the leverage that cost Beaney his job—is as preposterous as the second shooter on the grassy knoll.

So maybe its time to consider the second alternative I suggested—that it is not about money but performance.

And if that’s the case isn’t the question I asked earlier relevant, e.g. how many fans would feel satisfied if USM were their favorite hockey program and had not had a winning season in seven years—and was off to a 1 and 9 start this season? Wouldn’t they be howling for the coach Beaney’s head if their team posted that kind of performance?

Like I said earlier--it was a sad dismissal for Beaney during the holidays—just as it has been for the other 64 at USM. And that is a fact that is undeniable ---regardless. So lets play hockey.
                Last edited by Old Rook NU'66; 01-04-2015, 05:39 PM.
                Organized crime in America takes in over forty billion dollars a year and spends very little on office supplies.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Rook NU'66 View Post

Actually, I still believe blaming the anonymous letter to the Acting President of USM as the leverage that cost Beaney his job—is as preposterous as the second shooter on the grassy knoll.

Well there must have been somebody in that grassy knoll....You are wrong and it really gives people the wrong impression about what happened....You DO NOT know the facts, and I do and I kinda find it unbelievable that after almost 14 years of posting you are challenging my creditability...But if you need to be that guy: so be it...
                  Last edited by hockeyfan77; 01-04-2015, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyfan77 View Post
                    Well there must have been somebody in that grassy knoll....You are wrong and it really gives people the wrong impression about what happened....You DO NOT know the facts, and I do and I kinda find it unbelievable that after almost 14 years of posting you are challenging my creditability...But if you need to be that guy: so be it...
                    I am curious...given that you KNOW what happened...did Coach Beaney's forced retirement have anything to do with 6 players walking off his team at the winter break?

Comment

Originally posted by llama View Post
                      I am curious...given that you KNOW what happened...did Coach Beaney's forced retirement have anything to do with 6 players walking off his team at the winter break?
                      Thanks llama--for this additional insight into this sad drama. Surely hockeyfan77 will be happy to fill in the missing blanks on those six equally missing lads who took a hike over the holidays. So back to hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by llama View Post

6 players??? That's an exaggeration and what about the 20 players that couldn't wait for those selected few to leave??? Yes they walked (and not 6) because they were unhappy with playing time: The person(s) behind the letter are still on the team....Again, please inform me of what you know and I assure you I know more....Again, if you are unhappy with playing time, write a letter to the President and get the coach fired...I wouldn't want those kids on my team??? Not sure what you point is as it has already been addressed....The also lost two guys at break because the couldn't get enough aid as well....I guess I am fighting a losing battle... I guess going behind the coaches back cause you are unhappy with playing time or how you are being used in a game and getting him fired is now an admiral thing to do???? So, the only power a coach really has nowadays is ice time, so what happens when you take that away: what's the point in even having a coach...
                        Last edited by hockeyfan77; 01-05-2015, 04:30 AM.

Comment

"So, the only power a coach really has nowadays in ice time, so what happens when you take that away: what's the point in even having a coach..."

The bottom line is the patients are running the asylum. Sadly the players have figured out they have a certain amount of power that they really shouldn't have to begin with, and they have learned to leverage that power to get what they want. It's terrible. Give the players a whistle and start letting them run practice because they apparently know it all. Players have a hard time looking at their poor record and accepting responsibility for it no matter their role on the team, especially the guys that aren't getting the playing time they think they should be getting. In their minds they couldn't possibly be bad hockey players so it must be the coach's fault entirely. Not a realistic assessment of the situation on their part but better that than to admit that maybe they aren't as great as they each think they are. Let's not forget that some schools will never do well in hockey simply because they don't support the sport like the Plattsburghs, Oswegos, and Norwiches of the world. Hard to blame a coach at schools that aren't very supportive or not supportive enough to really make a true go of it. Take the coaches at those successful and well supported programs and put them at schools like USM and they won't be any more successful either.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyfan77 View Post
                            6 players??? That's an exaggeration and what about the 20 players that couldn't wait for those selected few to leave??? Yes they walked (and not 6) because they were unhappy with playing time: The person(s) behind the letter are still on the team....Again, please inform me of what you know and I assure you I know more....Again, if you are unhappy with playing time, write a letter to the President and get the coach fired...I wouldn't want those kids on my team??? Not sure what you point is as it has already been addressed....The also lost two guys at break because the couldn't get enough aid as well....I guess I am fighting a losing battle... I guess going behind the coaches back cause you are unhappy with playing time or how you are being used in a game and getting him fired is now an admiral thing to do???? So, the only power a coach really has nowadays is ice time, so what happens when you take that away: what's the point in even having a coach...
                            A player on the team said things were getting pretty bad in the locker room and that 5 or 6 guys walked off the team at the break. You've informed us all several times that nobody knows more than you about what happened…my post was looking for you to confirm (and maybe elaborate) that Coach Beaney's bizarre mid-season dismissal was directly tied to locker room dynamics (versus just a disgruntled daddy complaining on behalf of his son). I'm not attacking your credibility, I'm not taking sides and I have no desire to debate you on how much I know. For what it is worth, I hate that his tenure ended this way.
                            Last edited by llama; 01-05-2015, 09:07 AM.

Comment

It seems that losing.........players and games.....is becoming more common and perhaps runs in the family. Losing has momentum.

Comment

Perhaps this topic has come to an end.....nothing more should be added to the discussion....to quote Tony Soprano, " It is what it is...".
                                LETS GO BEARS!

SUNY Potsdam '98

St.Lawrence '00

Comment

Working...
                                X