Thank you, Jesus.

Comment

Re: Nescac 2014-2015

Originally posted by OLD GUY '61 View Post
      Thank you, Jesus.
      Joe is good, but not THAT good
      Larry Normandin
      SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
      WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

What's going on with the goal-tending situation at Colby? Verrier, a freshman started the first two games - not so good in game one, very good in game two. It looks like coach MacDonald has a lot of faith in him, to stick with him after game one. Two senior goalies are sitting - one of them played most of the past two years. I think I like this...
        Last edited by OhioMule; 11-17-2014, 06:55 PM.
        Mule Train, 2018 NESCAC Champs, made it to the Frozen Four

Comment

I don't understand how Middlebury has gone so long without recruiting a solid goalie, of the caliber they have traditionally had. Maybe the frosh is Stephen Klein is the answer, I sure hope so. But his save % isn't great and he's on the bench while while we start yet again another season rotating guys who have yet to really get the job done. Not their fault entirely obviously...from what I've read the team left Peters out to dry for several of the Bowdoin goals, but so far there is no indication Middlebury has filled this major major need for the the third year in a row.

Comment

"Rotation" is not really what Middlebury has done with goalies over recent seasons. It's more about trial and error, as if they don't really know who the best goalie is. Last season they finished with a goalie that wasn't even on the roster when the season started, and gave up 6 goals to visiting Bowdoin in the first NESCAC playoff game. Then, to start this season, they give up 6 to the same team. Recently, Middlebury has had goalies decommit and others leave with eleigibility, which is also true of forwards and defensemen. It's a superior college with a great facility, and they shouldn't have any problem recruiting excellent players at every position. However, IMO the hockey program is suffering. Opening weekend doesn't make a season, but getting trounced by Bowdoin and giving up a lead to end up with a tie with Colby doesn't indicate that this year's version of the panthers will have much pride. Middlebury may not do as well as last season, by all indications, and if the freshman goalie is the savior, they'd better get him into the game. Prime Link is coming up, and before long, Middlebury will have played teams that they will have to be able to beat to have any chance at a successful season.

Comment

And if we remember last year's Primelink, Mike Peters beats Norwich in the semi-final via a shootout and then ran into a Plattsburgh buzzsaw in the final and was never heard from again.

Fickle seems to be goaltending management at Middlebury.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Agree with both posts..."rotation" was the wrong word, the switches were obviously in search of answer that has never really come. I do understand decommits and eligibility problems, but when it (apparently) has happened a couple years in a row you wonder. I know the Knelman lawsuit is moving in Middlebury's/Beaney's direction but the filings weren't all that flattering to the program and I wonder if that has had an effect.

Comment

I think it has had an effect, andI think those who decommit and leave before they graduate do so for the same reason that Knelman decided to sue. I think that the suit itself isn't the problem, but rather the exposure of the program. The suit has no legal basis. If you read the case, Beaney did nothing illegal, but I think that hockey players have other good colleges to choose from, and when you're paying what it costs to go to these schools, you have to factor that in. Other NESCACs are getting stronger and Middlebury is getting weaker. Darwin was right.

Comment

Originally posted by Golden007 View Post
                    I think it has had an effect, andI think those who decommit and leave before they graduate do so for the same reason that Knelman decided to sue. I think that the suit itself isn't the problem, but rather the exposure of the program. The suit has no legal basis. If you read the case, Beaney did nothing illegal, but I think that hockey players have other good colleges to choose from, and when you're paying what it costs to go to these schools, you have to factor that in. Other NESCACs are getting stronger and Middlebury is getting weaker. Darwin was right.
                    I agree and you're partly right, but it doesn't explain the disconnect between the skill and speed the players obviously have and their inability to jell in a game situation. I'm aware that there are seven new players who need to assimilate themselves into the current Middlebury "system" which is, apparently, different this year than in previous years; however, I'm not seeing much creativity with the puck so far. The goaltending is "like a box of chocolates" alright, but can't put it all on the goaltender when the defensemen allow people to walk right in without being molested at all. As Churchill said, they are "a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma."

Comment

bowdion has a full roster,34 players and 11 freshmen..

Comment

Originally posted by OLD GUY '61 View Post
                        As Churchill said, they are "a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma."
                        See also turducken.

Comment

Perfect. Were having ham this year at Kenyon, though. Less filling.

Comment

Granted we are only 4 games in for most teams in the NESCAC but it looks like a familiar 4 teams will be battling it out to host the NESCAC Championships and one of them is not named Middlebury.

Trinity (3-0-1) is earning their preseason ranking so far with 3 7-2 victories to start the year followed by a somewhat surprising tie on home ice to Hamilton but then again Buitenhuis has been a stud thus far in net for the Continentals. Cole is leading the charge in scoring so far with 5 goals in 4 games but the depth is there to make a splash on the national stage. Their step on that path would be a win next Sunday at home vs Mass-Boston (6-0-0).

Williams (3-0-1) was less than a minute away from a 4-0-0 start, giving up an EAG in the final minute at Bowdoin but will settle on 3-0-1. They will ride experience in net from Dougherty and appear to have some scoring talent in their freshman class with Shugart and Cretella each averaging a goal per game.

Bowdoin (3-0-1) is tied at the top of the table thanks again to their offense. They looked dominant in wins over Middlebury and Colby (x2) but eeked out a point vs Williams. Meagher looks like he will continue to give both goaltenders a chance each weekend and both Fenkell and freshman, Cronin look up to the task. McGinnis and Quinn are off to hot starts, leading the NESCAC in scoring after two weeks. Next test? Not until after the break. Look for the Polar Bears in the top 10 if they don't hiccup before then.

Amherst (2-1-0) had a tough slate to start the year with their first 4 on the road but came away with 2 wins and their lone loss at Trinity. We will find out a lot more about the Lord Jeffs when they travel to Williams and Middlebury 12/5 and 12/6.

Hamilton (1-1-1) will go as far as Buitenhuis will take them and his stifling of the Bantam scorers bodes well. A tough non conference slate awaits but it wouldn't be surprising to see the Continentals host a NESCAC quarterfinal come playoff time.

Middlebury (1-1-2) is having a tough go of it to start. My how the mighty have fallen? Ties to the bottom two teams in the league and a 6-0 blowout at Bowdoin is not what the Panthers had in mind for a start to the season. They need to turn things around quickly to have a shot at returning to their glory days and what better way to start than a Primelink win?

The rest are the rest at this point but you never know in the NESCAC. If the top three or four can keep up the pace, its not inconceivable to see the NESCAC get two teams in the NCAA tournament... but again, we're two weekends in and there is a lot of hockey left to be played.
                            Go Polar Bears Plaaaay Hockey!

Comment

One NESCAC team tunes up its out-of-conference schedule. Did Trinity getting left out of the NCAA in spite of great regional rankings lead it to change its OOC schedule, or was this just a coincidental change?

http://www.nescachockey.com/2014/11/...t-take-us.html

Comment

Originally posted by petrietodonovan View Post
                                One NESCAC team tunes up its out-of-conference schedule. Did Trinity getting left out of the NCAA in spite of great regional rankings lead it to change its OOC schedule, or was this just a coincidental change?

http://www.nescachockey.com/2014/11/...t-take-us.html
                                the weekend of Utica and Hobart will be a good test,the Aud is a tough place to play at and the Cooler at Hobart is just tough....... for both teams,cold old crappy joint.

Comment

Working...
                                X