Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Utica College Pioneers 2014-2015: Bust. Let's try this again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Utica College Pioneers 2014-2015: Bust. Let's try this again!

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    Was pleasantly surprised by what I saw last night. The Freshmen as a group appear to have good hands and good wheels. Samuels-Thomas and Carter stood out. The D was solid 90% of the time. Taffe let in one soft goal, but looked sound on the whole. If CSC fares as well as it normally does this season, last night's win might look really good on UC's resume down the road.
    Castleton is no pushover, nice win for Utica. Next weekend it will be good to see if Nazareth is a real deal this year - Brockport is no power house, but 7-1 is impressive over a team with many of the same players that took down Oswego this past spring.
    Larry Normandin
    SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
    WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Yeah I think Naz will be a very tough out, based both on what I saw from them last year and the fact that they returned a ton of guys. (They only have 4 Fr. on the roster this season.)

Comment

As expected, Naz looked mature, fast, and clever with the puck. (At least their top-two lines, anyway.) That team is going to be a factor in the W this season, IMO.

It felt like a good tie for UC, despite them carrying the play for maybe 65-70% of the game. No bounces went their way, but they garnered a league point, and were clearly the faster team. Wells looked good, too. (It appears as though Utica has some 'tending this year, again.)

Two points tomorrow will make for a best-case scenario vis-a-vis this weekend in my mind, and another tie won't end the world as we know it. Just a guess, but I can see Naz being in serious contention for the W title this season.

Comment

As expected, Naz looked mature, fast, and clever with the puck. (At least their top-two lines, anyway.) That team is going to be a factor in the W this season, IMO.

It felt like a good tie for UC, despite them carrying the play for maybe 65-70% of the game. No bounces went their way, but they garnered a league point, and were clearly the faster team. Wells looked good, too. (It appears as though Utica has some 'tending this year, again.)

Two points tomorrow will make for a best-case scenario vis-a-vis this weekend in my mind, and another tie won't end the world as we know it. Just a guess, but I can see Naz being in serious contention for the W title this season.
          Naz is good but UC missed a number of point blank opportunities. Scored two minutes in and two minutes left with nothing in between. I expect a similar battle between the two teams tonight. Most disciplined game I've seen UC play in years with them drawing only one penalty--very happy to see that.

Comment

Was I hallucinating Friday night or did Naz's goalie get tripped during the 2nd period, in a very Hanson-esque manner?

:0
            This young man has had a very trying rookie season, what with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well... I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle. Number six, Ogie Oglethorpe.

Comment

I remember playing a game in the Utica area?? When I was at Oswego,and when I came thru the lobby there was The Chief standing there....WOW....I think he had a kid playing after us??? ...........anyway.........who owens the chiefs?????????

Comment

Well, Saturday"s game v. Naz lent some credence to two ancient hockey cliches:

1. The first shift after a goal-scored is crucial, and
                2. You have to play 60 minutes.

UC fell WAAAAY short in both departments.

They played hard for about half the game, then got very very sloppy in their own end. When they went up 4-2, they took the rest of the game off.

This Utica team is good, but not good enough to mail it in, even with a two-goal lead in the 3rd, especially vs. a quality team like Naz. They'd better get with the program immediately, 'cause the W will likely be decided by a point or two, and squandering even one of them means teeing it up in March, the weather allowing.

(Wasn't crazy about Simic, either... It was interesting to see three goalies in three games, and he didn't allow a soft goal, but neither did make any exceptional saves. UC is fairly deep in goal, but Taffe is my guy so far.)
                Last edited by Fishman'81; 11-09-2014, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Well, Saturday"s game v. Naz lent some credence to two ancient hockey cliches:

1. The first shift after a goal-scored is crucial, and
                  2. You have to play 60 minutes.

UC fell WAAAAY short in both departments.

They played hard for about half the game, then got very very sloppy in their own end. When they went up 4-2, they took the rest of the game off.

This Utica team is good, but not good enough to mail it in, even with a two-goal lead in the 3rd, especially vs. a quality team like Naz. They'd better get with the program immediately, 'cause the W will likely be decided by a point or two, and squandering even one of them means teeing it up in March, the weather allowing.

(Wasn't crazy about Simic, either... It was interesting to see three goalies in three games, and he didn't allow a soft goal, but neither did make any exceptional saves. UC is fairly deep in goal, but Taffe is my guy so far.)
                  Yes, giving up a goal immediately upon scoring a goal once is bad and three times was ridiculous. I'm afraid this team is destined for middle of the road and have lowered my expectations for this year--the league games will be brutal as I expect the more experienced teams to win out over our youth on most nights.

I was rather surprised with the decision to start Simic in a league game as I had expected to see the frosh netminders in the non-league tilts. I was good with the Taffe/Wells tandem and now Taffe will have two weeks between starts. Two league road games next weekend won't be an easy task as the team continues to jell.

Comment

Originally posted by jcase View Post
                    Yes, giving up a goal immediately upon scoring a goal once is bad and three times was ridiculous. I'm afraid this team is destined for middle of the road and have lowered my expectations for this year--the league games will be brutal as I expect the more experienced teams to win out over our youth on most nights.

I was rather surprised with the decision to start Simic in a league game as I had expected to see the frosh netminders in the non-league tilts. I was good with the Taffe/Wells tandem and now Taffe will have two weeks between starts. Two league road games next weekend won't be an easy task as the team continues to jell.
                    Your point about Utica's inexperience makes sense, but I'm not discouraged quite yet. For 83% of this young season I've been impressed with the team's discipline, work ethic and speed. The Wells/Taffe tandem has looked sharp, and some of the best play has come from the freshmen. I'm hoping that Saturday's collapse will be a lesson learned re: the folly of trying to sit on a lead against a talented and determined team.

Comment

Your point about Utica's inexperience makes sense, but I'm not discouraged quite yet. For 83% of this young season I've been impressed with the team's discipline, work ethic and speed. The Wells/Taffe tandem has looked sharp, and some of the best play has come from the freshmen. I'm hoping that Saturday's collapse will be a lesson learned re: the folly of trying to sit on a lead against a talented and determined team.
                      Good point - You can't climb up from the top.
                      Larry Normandin
                      SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                      WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by jcase View Post

I totally agree that it was a surprising decision to play the freshman in a league game. Now he won't play for a while and that is not the way to bring future players along. Anyone know why Zelzer left?

Comment

Keep forgetting to ask you guys (especially vcx), but is the Oswego game going to be televised?

Comment

Keep forgetting to ask you guys (especially vcx), but is the Oswego game going to be televised?
                            Yes, I heard it will be televised on Time Warner Cable's sports channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeyfirst View Post
                              Anyone know why Zelzer left?
                              No one here has indicated why he left. I know he's playing for Salem State.
                              In fact, he lost against another former UC goalie Gordon Ceasar and Plymouth State last Thurs. 3-2.

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
                                what happened to Zezler, he was pretty solid??
                                I heard that he was concerned about playing time. I can check on that.

In case nobody else heard Gary on the radio today, he had some bad news. Three guys' seasons are over: Moody, Hanth (poor guy plays his heart out and has had nothing but atrocious luck) and Bushinski (who I really liked and showed great promise.) Wold separated his shoulder today and will be out for a couple of weeks. Egan (another shoulder) is expected back at the same time. Heenan mentioned going out and getting another player for the next semester.

He also mentioned that the starting G job is going to either Taffe or Wells. Sounds good to me, as does a tandem of the two.

Old Potty-Mouth has really mellowed. He was very complimentary of his guys' effort and talent. Thought they deserved a better fate over the weekend... Publicly pumping up a young and hard-working team, and I was glad to hear it. (Now, what he's saying in the locker room might make your ears bleed, but whatever.)
                                Last edited by Fishman'81; 11-11-2014, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X