Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dec. 7 Men's DIII Poll

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Dec. 7 Men's DIII Poll

    Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    [I also have Salem State way higher than anyone else seems to like them at.]
    Both the KRACH and my computer rankings have SSC and some others from the MASCAC/NE group way up there. KRACH likes Adrian way more than my computer does.
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Dec. 7 Men's DIII Poll

      Originally posted by NUProf View Post
      KRACH likes Adrian way more than my computer does.
      Why is that? You give more weight to SOS/OWP/whatever?
      “You drive by some of these rinks in the winter and there isn't anybody out there. It's kind of sad, actually...Here it’s go to the rink, pay for your ice time and practice for an hour where we could just walk to the rink and skate for four hours if we wanted to...It was just a lot of fun. I wish I could go back and be eight years old for a couple days" -Neal Broten

      2010-11 DIII Commitments
      19gp, (23-24-47), +27

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Dec. 7 Men's DIII Poll

        Originally posted by Matthew Webb View Post
        Why is that? You give more weight to SOS/OWP/whatever?
        Instead of straight opponent's winning percentage I modify it by including a factor for the winning percentage of the teams you have beaten. In the case of an undefeated/untied team, they are really getting a double dose of OWP - seems to hurt Adrian (it also kills winless teams who just get a zero for that measure.) I'm still tweaking, but I'm not changing my model in the middle of the year. SAL's win over STN really pushed them up. ADR hasn't really beaten anybody with a good record and they get killed compared to other teams.
        2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
        2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
        2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
        2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Dec. 7 Men's DIII Poll

          Originally posted by joeyc3402 View Post
          Ahh, yes... the (sort of) weekly in-season ritual that can be broken down into 12 simple steps once the poll is posted....

          1) Someone complains about _______ being ranked too high
          2) Someone complains about _______ being ranked too low
          3) Someone asks the posters of #1 and #2 above, "who should move (up/down) then?"
          4) A voter comes out and says he voted _____ (higher / lower) than final tally
          5) Someone denounces these polls, as they are flawed and useless anyways
          6) Someone says though these polls are flawed and just for fun, they're better than the selection committee
          7) Someone says that these should be based on quantitative on-ice performance (records), and not qualitative traits like "how they looked against ____"
          8) Someone posts satirically proving that (insert bottom feeder here) > (insert top 5 team here)
          9) Someone brings up how ____ gets votes based on reputation / past seasons
          10) Someone denounces the mentality of voters who contribute to #9 above
          11) Someone talks about how ____ (early season: "hasn't played any games" / "hasn't played enough games;" late season: "has a weak schedule")
          12) Someone brings up "the big picture" and says how he/she enjoys the discussion that the polls generate

          Any corrections / modifications to this process are welcome.
          Excellent summary...a couple of my favourites.

          13) Someone discredits the results based on regional bias of pollsters.

          14) Someone questions how anyone could rank teams that they have never seen play.

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Dec. 7 Men's DIII Poll

            Originally posted by NorthernLite View Post
            Excellent summary...a couple of my favourites.

            13) Someone discredits the results based on regional bias of pollsters.

            14) Someone questions how anyone could rank teams that they have never seen play.
            15) Someone else is wrong, because I am perfect, once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken
            Larry Normandin
            SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

            Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

            God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

            Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

            Twitter w/ Bob Emery

            WIRY (Windows Player)
            WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

            Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

            Pen pals

            D3HOCKEY.com

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Dec. 7 Men's DIII Poll

              Originally posted by joeyc3402 View Post
              Ahh, yes... the (sort of) weekly in-season ritual that can be broken down into 12 simple steps once the poll is posted....

              1) Someone complains about _______ being ranked too high
              2) Someone complains about _______ being ranked too low
              3) Someone asks the posters of #1 and #2 above, "who should move (up/down) then?"
              4) A voter comes out and says he voted _____ (higher / lower) than final tally
              5) Someone denounces these polls, as they are flawed and useless anyways
              6) Someone says though these polls are flawed and just for fun, they're better than the selection committee
              7) Someone says that these should be based on quantitative on-ice performance (records), and not qualitative traits like "how they looked against ____"
              8) Someone posts satirically proving that (insert bottom feeder here) > (insert top 5 team here)
              9) Someone brings up how ____ gets votes based on reputation / past seasons
              10) Someone denounces the mentality of voters who contribute to #9 above
              11) Someone talks about how ____ (early season: "hasn't played any games" / "hasn't played enough games;" late season: "has a weak schedule")
              12) Someone brings up "the big picture" and says how he/she enjoys the discussion that the polls generate

              Any corrections / modifications to this process are welcome.
              THIS SHOULD MAKE IT EASIER FOR REMY TO DEFEND PLATTSBURGH'S 5 VOTES AFTER BARELY GETTING A TIE WITH POTSDAM!!
              Oldtimehockey

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: Dec. 7 Men's DIII Poll

                Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
                15) Someone else is wrong, because I am perfect, once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken
                .........frequently someone will say.

                16) Also,is it fair that Utica loses 10 recieving votes in this weeks poll,I know we kicked the crap out of WNEC,but we only lost to Oswego by 1 goal(since they average over 5 goals a game) etc...etc....etc...

                Last edited by NorthernLite; 12-07-2009, 06:36 PM.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: Dec. 7 Men's DIII Poll

                  Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                  They were the better team on the ice when they tied Potsdam, apparently.
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------You got your #1 spot to your self so enjoy it. As for the Cards, some of us are pretty satisfied with this young team's first semester. Not too bad. We'll just see what they can do with the rest of the season. Maybe March's poll will have some importance then. Don't count them out just yet.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: Dec. 7 Men's DIII Poll

                    Originally posted by Birds View Post
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------You got your #1 spot to your self so enjoy it. As for the Cards, some of us are pretty satisfied with this young team's first semester. Not too bad. We'll just see what they can do with the rest of the season. Maybe March's poll will have some importance then. Don't count them out just yet.
                    Both teams shoul be very happy thus far this season considering Platty has 13 freshmen and Oswego has 12 freshmen on their roster...
                    Oswego'08, '10

                    From the shores of Lake Ontario to the island of Hilton Head...


                    2011-2012 SUNYAC Pick 'Em Champion!
                    2011-2012 D3FHL Overall Points Champs!

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: Dec. 7 Men's DIII Poll

                      I'm thinking it's been a long time since only one ECAC-W team is in the top 15.
                      Elmira College (2006 ECAC-W Champions. 2006,2008 Final Four Semi-Finalist)
                      Guelph Storm (2004 OHL Champions)
                      Die Hard Leafs Fan (Still Waiting )

                      http://community.webshots.com/user/jpconnor55

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: Dec. 7 Men's DIII Poll

                        Good point Midd up there on reputation and expectation. Polar Bears off to great start and will be able to prove themselves against Norwich after the break and Midd later in Jan.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: Dec. 7 Men's DIII Poll

                          Originally posted by Ozz View Post
                          Both teams shoul be very happy thus far this season considering Plattsburgh has 13 freshmen and Oswego has 12 freshmen on their roster...
                          Agreed, also of note, on their collegehockeystats.net rosters, Plattsburgh has 5 juniors and 3 seniors and Oswego has 7 juniors and 4 seniors.
                          Larry Normandin
                          SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

                          Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

                          God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

                          Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

                          Twitter w/ Bob Emery

                          WIRY (Windows Player)
                          WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

                          Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

                          Pen pals

                          D3HOCKEY.com

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: Dec. 7 Men's DIII Poll

                            Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
                            Agreed, also of note, on their collegehockeystats.net rosters, Plattsburgh has 5 juniors and 3 seniors and Oswego has 7 juniors and 4 seniors.
                            Just a note...Anderson is out for the rest year with an injury and Chamberlain has transfered to Queens. I dont think Hall will be in the line-up too much the rest of the season either as he just doesnt have the speed to keep up with the rest of the team.

                            Not a good year for the Wellington Dukes...
                            The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                            "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                            GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                            GO LAKERS!!!
                            GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                            Oswego State '09

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X