D3 or ACHA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D3 or ACHA

Just to get the juices flowing as we await the start of a new season.
    D3 vs ACHA. As a large number of the recruited players to D3 are serious players who have not had the opportunity to play D1, the question is why go D3 instead of ACHA?

Obviously certain schools do not offer ACHA but, the ACHA in many circumstances offers better educational and hockey opportunities than D3. For example, ACHA schools can and do offer scholarships. Most ACHA teams play 36-40 games vs the very limited D3 schedule. Many ACHA schools play in front of large crowds. The ACHA teams start skating as soon as they get to school while D3 can't skate other than "capt." practices Oct. 1. The level of play for many of the ACHA teams is quite high as evidenced by the 2 games played by Ariz and Penn St. last year.

Seems to me ACHA may be a better sports opportunity than D3 and many schools are tops academically.

Re: D3 or ACHA

Originally posted by Big Panda View Post
    Just to get the juices flowing as we await the start of a new season.
    D3 vs ACHA. As a large number of the recruited players to D3 are serious players who have not had the opportunity to play D1, the question is why go D3 instead of ACHA?

Obviously certain schools do not offer ACHA but, the ACHA in many circumstances offers better educational and hockey opportunities than D3. For example, ACHA schools can and do offer scholarships. Most ACHA teams play 36-40 games vs the very limited D3 schedule. Many ACHA schools play in front of large crowds. The ACHA teams start skating as soon as they get to school while D3 can't skate other than "capt." practices Oct. 1. The level of play for many of the ACHA teams is quite high as evidenced by the 2 games played by Ariz and Penn St. last year.

Seems to me ACHA may be a better sports opportunity than D3 and many schools are tops academically.
    Start with the fact that many ACHA teams are pay to play.
    Larry Normandin
    SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
    WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Add in many ACHA teams lack their own rink or are second, third - or worse fiddle for ice time.
      Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

The top end ACHA Division 1 clubs are, IMO, around middle of the road D-III teams in terms of talent. That's the top end. I think there are over 300 ACHA teams that range in commitment level from varsity like to "what? we have a hockey team?" Some have rinks, some are like NCAA teams that are in rent a rink situations where they may or may not be the prime tenant.

However, if you wish to play hockey while attending college, there is probably an ACHA program at a school that fits your academic desires. There may not be a place for you at the 125+ NCAA schools.

In the ACHA's favor, I have yet to see an NCAA team with a hockey schedule poster like the University of Kentucky's.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

That's pretty fair. Adrian was ranked #1 in ACHA D-1 at the end of the season and was the #1 overall seed in the tournament. During the season I told someone else that they were probably a middle of the pack MCHA team. Also this year I saw Oklahoma and Minot State (the eventual D-1 national champ). Oklahoma was pretty good, and Minot State was okay, although I have no idea how they won the whole thing (different topic for another day). In the past I've seen Arizona State and Lindenwood play at Arrington as well, and those games were well worth my time and dollars. So, yeah, middle of the pack D-3 is probably about right. Could these teams give, say, a Plattsburgh, Oswego, SNC, Adrian a run for their money? They'd have a puncher's chance once in a great while......maybe.....but I wouldn't bet on it.

Now, on the other end of this, the bottom of ACHA D-1 is....brutal. And that's being generous. I worked both Adrian-Western Michigan games this year. WMU is horrid. Sorry. That's the only way to put it. Adrian beat them one night 17-2, and that was after letting off the gas in the 3rd. WMU put their backup goaltender in, and the kid that came in hadn't even broken a sweat. Literally. Had WMU tried to play any D-3 varsity team, 20 would have been a near certainty, and some teams would put up 30+. A good defensive team like SNC or Norwich would be upset if they gave up 5 shots on goal to this team. In a weekend. And no, I'm not exaggerating. It was rough to watch.
          FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
            That's pretty fair. Adrian was ranked #1 in ACHA D-1 at the end of the season and was the #1 overall seed in the tournament. During the season I told someone else that they were probably a middle of the pack MCHA team. Also this year I saw Oklahoma and Minot State (the eventual D-1 national champ). Oklahoma was pretty good, and Minot State was okay, although I have no idea how they won the whole thing (different topic for another day). In the past I've seen Arizona State and Lindenwood play at Arrington as well, and those games were well worth my time and dollars. So, yeah, middle of the pack D-3 is probably about right. Could these teams give, say, a Plattsburgh, Oswego, SNC, Adrian a run for their money? They'd have a puncher's chance once in a great while......maybe.....but I wouldn't bet on it.

Now, on the other end of this, the bottom of ACHA D-1 is....brutal. And that's being generous. I worked both Adrian-Western Michigan games this year. WMU is horrid. Sorry. That's the only way to put it. Adrian beat them one night 17-2, and that was after letting off the gas in the 3rd. WMU put their backup goaltender in, and the kid that came in hadn't even broken a sweat. Literally. Had WMU tried to play any D-3 varsity team, 20 would have been a near certainty, and some teams would put up 30+. A good defensive team like SNC or Norwich would be upset if they gave up 5 shots on goal to this team. In a weekend. And no, I'm not exaggerating. It was rough to watch.
            So basically they are as good as Utica
            Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

If that starts up in here.....

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
                So basically they are as good as Utica
                Well they are D-I so they must play a hard schedule
                2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Big Panda View Post
                  Just because youre a D3 school athletically, doesn't mean your academics is chopped liver.

That attitude just blows my mind.
                  Russell Jaslow
                  [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                  U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                    Just because youre a D3 school athletically, doesn't mean your academics is chopped liver.

That attitude just blows my mind.
                    Im with ya Russ....we have 2 new next door neighbors and both are Doctors............SUNY Genny alums.....great education can be had in the SUNY system......... as well as athletics.....also have a buddie from my old firehouse whose 4 daughters went to SUNY Binghampton.....all 4 Dr.'s ...the 5th daughter is at Oswego chemical engineering/biology, and he said she is the smartest of the bunch
                    Last edited by bakdraft21; 08-21-2013, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
                      Im with ya Russ....we have 2 new next door neighbors and both are Doctors............SUNY Genny alums.....great education can be had in the SUNY system......... as well as athletics.....also have a buddie from my old firehouse whose 4 daughters went to SUNY Binghampton.....all 4 Dr.'s ...the 5th daughter is at Oswego chemical engineering/biology, and he said she is the smartest of the bunch
                      Well she chose Oz, after all....so yeah - she's the smartest!
                      LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
                        I don't know which is scarier -- being a NYC fireman or raising FIVE daughters. Wow!
                        Russell Jaslow
                        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

I don't know which is scarier -- being a NYC fireman or raising FIVE daughters. Wow!
                          I've raised two...FIVE...He's not human.
                          LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

lol i thought that many times myself, the kids were great and he made it thru....................so far..

Comment

I know someone who's got 7 daughters. All of them very pretty, one of them is drop-dead gorgeous.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Working...
                              X