Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heenan Finalist for UAA job

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    Re: Heenan Finalist for UAA job

    Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    My personal concern is that Utica will have fewer home games next season, and more "matinees"...
    In THIS article, your concerns are partially allayed. Quote from the story “The AHL will have no impact on our schedule,” Heenan said. “The local ownership group has agreed to lock in our dates well in advance of the AHL schedule release.”

    Comment


    • #92
      Re: Heenan Finalist for UAA job

      Thanks very much for the link. If Vancouver is obliged to work around UC's schedule, then this situation is going to be better than I expected.

      I still predict lower attendance at Utica games next year, and a quick departure for the Comets, because expendable income is at a premium around here... It's just too small a pie to slice-up between the two, IMO.

      Comment


      • #93
        Re: Heenan Finalist for UAA job

        Originally posted by elbojpb View Post
        In THIS article, your concerns are partially allayed. Quote from the story “The AHL will have no impact on our schedule,” Heenan said. “The local ownership group has agreed to lock in our dates well in advance of the AHL schedule release.”
        Yes, but Canucks’ assistant general manager, Laurence Gilman says in that article, in regard to scheduling issues with UC, "I haven’t really thought about it...... we will sit down with them [the Pioneers], take a look at their schedule.....and see how we can accommodate them." Not, work with. Not, coordinate. It's "we will see how (if?) we can accommodate them." I wonder if they have changed the locks on the Aud yet?
        2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
        2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
        2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
        2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
        2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
        2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
        2009 D-III TOP runner-up
        Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
        1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

        Comment


        • #94
          Re: Heenan Finalist for UAA job

          The wording of that quote didn't escape my notice, either.

          If UC is truly running the show, they'd be the entity who'd choose to be "accommodating". (Or not.)

          Comment


          • #95
            Re: Heenan Finalist for UAA job

            Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
            I still predict lower attendance at Utica games next year, and a quick departure for the Comets, because expendable income is at a premium around here... It's just too small a pie to slice-up between the two, IMO.
            The Elmira experience was similar to what you are describing. As soon as pro hockey arrived, about one-third of the college fans never returned. Granted, the EC administration didn't help things any, but those fans who would rather see bellicose hockey and drink alcohol won't be inclined to attend both.

            Comment


            • #96
              Re: Heenan Finalist for UAA job

              Originally posted by elbojpb View Post
              The Elmira experience was similar to what you are describing. As soon as pro hockey arrived, about one-third of the college fans never returned. Granted, the EC administration didn't help things any, but those fans who would rather see bellicose hockey and drink alcohol won't be inclined to attend both.
              The AHL is at least a higher level of hockey than what is practiced by the ECHL (which stands for "nothing").
              2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
              2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
              2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
              2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

              Comment


              • #97
                Re: Heenan Finalist for UAA job

                Originally posted by elbojpb View Post
                The Elmira experience was similar to what you are describing. As soon as pro hockey arrived, about one-third of the college fans never returned. Granted, the EC administration didn't help things any, but those fans who would rather see bellicose hockey and drink alcohol won't be inclined to attend both.
                You hit the nail squarely on that one.

                I've always opined that if The Aud didn't sell beer at UC games, attendance would suffer to the tune of at least 1,000 fewer people. (And don't even get me started on the yo-yos who can't seem to figure out why there are no full-scale brawls in D-3.)

                Comment


                • #98
                  Re: Heenan Finalist for UAA job

                  Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                  The AHL is at least a higher level of hockey than what is practiced by the ECHL (which stands for "nothing").
                  The ECHL is indeed an abomination on a number of levels. I wouldn't cross the street to see it.

                  AHL hockey, on the other hand, is quite excellent in terms of its talent level, but I just don't get why people would care about a team whose every member wants nothing more than to leave town ASAP.

                  D-3 hockey, as humble as it is, is a destination... Minor-league hockey, a mere stepping-stone. Getting emotionally-invested is like falling in love with a truck-stop prostitute.
                  Last edited by Fishman'81; 07-07-2013, 02:00 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #99
                    Re: Heenan Finalist for UAA job

                    Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                    Getting emotionally-invested is like falling in love with a truck-stop prostitute.
                    Speaking from experience?

                    Comment


                    • Re: Heenan Finalist for UAA job

                      Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                      .. but I just don't get why people would care about a team whose every member wants nothing more than to leave town ASAP...
                      Luckily UC seldom leaves town
                      Larry Normandin
                      SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

                      Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

                      God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

                      Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

                      Twitter w/ Bob Emery

                      WIRY (Windows Player)
                      WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

                      Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

                      Pen pals

                      D3HOCKEY.com

                      Comment


                      • Re: Heenan Finalist for UAA job

                        *****https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1012351_10153013841550085_1325634793_n.jpg******
                        Remy Babineaux
                        remyb616@gmail.com
                        D3FHL Web Page

                        Comment


                        • Re: Heenan Finalist for UAA job

                          Originally posted by elbojpb View Post
                          Speaking from experience?
                          It only happened once, and in Des Moines, "The Paris of Iowa"... (Got a very reasonable rate, too.)

                          Comment


                          • Re: Heenan Finalist for UAA job

                            Got my season-ticket application today, as I'm sure did many of you Utica fans.

                            Looks like 14 home games are already on the docket, and all on weekend evenings. I'm surprised to see that. Furthermore, there are several open dates, half of which will likely be filled by visitors.

                            Guess it's worth my $100 after all, for the two of us... Perhaps Vancouver is truly getting out of the way, as they prepare to move elsewhere.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                              Got my season-ticket application today, as I'm sure did many of you Utica fans.

                              Looks like 14 home games are already on the docket, and all on weekend evenings. I'm surprised to see that. Furthermore, there are several open dates, half of which will likely be filled by visitors.

                              Guess it's worth my $100 after all, for the two of us... Perhaps Vancouver is truly getting out of the way, as they prepare to move elsewhere.

                              http://www.ucpioneers.com/schedule.aspx?path=mhockey&print=true&version=1

                              Not sure what you mean by "several open dates". I see 25 games (+1 exhibition). If you try to add another game to that schedule, you'll have some problems with the NCAA
                              Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                              SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                              ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                              NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                              NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                              NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                              NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

                              Comment


                              • Re: Heenan Finalist for UAA job

                                Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
                                http://www.ucpioneers.com/schedule.aspx?path=mhockey&print=true&version=1

                                Not sure what you mean by "several open dates". I see 25 games (+1 exhibition). If you try to add another game to that schedule, you'll have some problems with the NCAA
                                Since he noted "half of which will likely be filled by visitors" and he considers the Comets to be "the visitors", he means the Comets will likely take half the remaining weekends - now why the use of the word "Furthermore"?
                                Larry Normandin
                                SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

                                Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

                                God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

                                Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

                                Twitter w/ Bob Emery

                                WIRY (Windows Player)
                                WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

                                Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

                                Pen pals

                                D3HOCKEY.com

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X