Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: One last dance: The final Peters Cup Playoffs

Originally posted by daveo211 View Post
    So where will the Peters Cup go? To a locker somewhere? Get scrapped?
    The original comment by the awesome SNC SID was a bit mysterious and remains so--perhaps waiting until the champ was decided? The MCHA playoff champ claims the Harris club which if I am correct is named after Dan Harris, who served as MCHA league president through 2002.

While I understand it is only speculation, I like the thought of a "2nd" trophy for a regular season champ in the MCHA next season and going forward. If that doesn't happen, can't the Peters Cup be retired in the possession of SNC?
    "You can always get someone to do your thinking for you."

—Gordie Howe after being asked why players always wear a cup, but not always a helmet

Comment

Donating the trophy itself might work because being the best team in your conference over several months definitely deserves some recognition. I'd be surprised if they kept the Peters Cup name though since Bob Peters has no connection to the MCHA.
      Still No Championships - R.I.P. 3/23/2008

"It's a great day to be great!" Greg Jennings 2/6/11

"I don't step on toes, LittleJohn, I step on necks!" - C. Norris

I've got the fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.

2008 D3 Poster of the Year
      2007 D3 Tournament of Posters Champion
      2005-2006 D3 Rookie Poster of the Year
      Boycotting that steaming pantload Relevant Radio since 10/25/06!

Comment

Originally posted by MW4Bucky&SNC View Post
        Donating the trophy itself might work because being the best team in your conference over several months definitely deserves some recognition. I'd be surprised if they kept the Peters Cup name though since Bob Peters has no connection to the MCHA.
        Agreed that the lack of Peters' connection to those schools is, at the least, awkward. Not to say that Bob Peters isn't worth remembering, though. While I doubt Tim would have any part of it, it could be dubbed the Peters-Coghlin trophy (in the vein of all of those dual-named Big Ten football awards).

That said, I would hope the larger D3 hockey world doesn't have an issue honoring Peters (if that's indeed what happens).

I don't see it simply residing in an SNC trophy case "retired" however.
        St. Norbert College Green Knights
        NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
        NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
        NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
        ---
        SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

I hope the WIAC champ's trophy is a swift kick in the backside.

I would hope the Peters Cup become the MCHA regular season trophy. I'm not a Western hockey expert, but I do respect and understand the tradition. I do hope it keeps going in some form.
          Twitter: DanMountSports
          2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by MW4Bucky&SNC View Post

Originally posted by GB Puck Fan View Post
            Agreed that the lack of Peters' connection to those schools is, at the least, awkward. Not to say that Bob Peters isn't worth remembering, though. While I doubt Tim would have any part of it, it could be dubbed the Peters-Coghlin trophy (in the vein of all of those dual-named Big Ten football awards).

That said, I would hope the larger D3 hockey world doesn't have an issue honoring Peters (if that's indeed what happens).

I don't see it simply residing in an SNC trophy case "retired" however.
            That makes sense--thank you both for your insight.
            "You can always get someone to do your thinking for you."

—Gordie Howe after being asked why players always wear a cup, but not always a helmet

Comment

Working...
            X