Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UWEC Blugolds 2012-13 Season Thread...IT'S OUR TURN !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UWEC Blugolds 2012-13 Season Thread...IT'S OUR TURN !!!

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    Thanks, Champs... You always take the time to dig-up the facts (or something similar) bless your heart.

Singer was stellar in LP at age 24 or so, and the best team won... No argument there.

But what's with all these overage guys in D-3? (And yes, Utica has a couple of them too, but they aren't as good as Singer, sadly.)
    they play out their jr. careers until 21 then they finally make the decision to go to college,as they know the NHL is not calling, thus 24/25yo seniors...when I graduated Oswego I was 22 and that seemed old back then, times are/have changed.

Comment

I know at least one D-3 player who'll be 26 years and 7 months old when he graduates... And, yes, he was in the OJHL.

I'm not going to howl about the situation, but teams stacking themselves with guys that age who face a bunch of 18-22 year-olds on other teams..?

That makes the disparity in D-3 hockey easy to understand.
      Last edited by Fishman'81; 10-03-2013, 10:33 PM.

Comment

I know at least one D-3 player who'll be 26 years and 7 months old when he graduates... And, yes, he was in the OJHL.

I'm not going to howl about the situation, but teams stacking themselves with guys that age who face a bunch of 18-22 year-olds on other teams..?

That makes the disparity in D-3 hockey easy to understand.
        You are unfamiliar with the hockeydb website?

Most D3 players have exhausted all of their Junior eligibility, hence the average age is older than in D1 where the true blue-chippers end up after a year or so of Junior hockey.

Please show me a D3 roster loaded with kids under the age of 20. For that matter, give me one example of an 18 year old who has been an impact player at the D3 level in the last 10 years. You can't. The top 18 year old players are deciding weather to forego NCAA hockey all together in favor of Major Juniors, or retain their eligibility and play in the USHL or tier 2 Canadian leagues. They're not farting around in the ECAC W or whatever you perceive to be the premier D3 conference.

You implying that Utica got smoked by Eau Claire in the National semis because Eau Claire had some kids who looked old to you from the stands is sour grapes. Get over it.

Comment

Here is the Utica roster from last season. One kid under age 21. http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...034352013.html

And the Eau Claire roster,http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...013002013.html

Why are you bringing up age?
          Last edited by altazo; 10-03-2013, 11:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by altazo View Post
            You are unfamiliar with the hockeydb website?

Most D3 players have exhausted all of their Junior eligibility, hence the average age is older than in D1 where the true blue-chippers end up after a year or so of Junior hockey.

Please show me a D3 roster loaded with kids under the age of 20. For that matter, give me one example of an 18 year old who has been an impact player at the D3 level in the last 10 years. You can't. The top 18 year old players are deciding weather to forego NCAA hockey all together in favor of Major Juniors, or retain their eligibility and play in the USHL or tier 2 Canadian leagues. They're not farting around in the ECAC W or whatever you perceive to be the premier D3 conference.

You implying that Utica got smoked by Eau Claire in the National semis because Eau Claire had some kids who looked old to you from the stands is sour grapes. Get over it.
            I didn't imply any such thing... You need to get over it; the player I referred-to was a UC guy, OK?

(And just as an aside, why are you so angry? Did your pet gerbil pull a hammy?)

All I was remarking upon was how old the better D-3 teams are. As someone who is much more familiar with the much-younger D-1 game, it came as a bit of a surprise to me.

Still, thanks for the link. Seems that D-3 game programs NEVER list DOB, and now I see why... It seems that Oswego is always composed of 100% overage guys from the Ontario Juniors, but I was a little shocked that I couldn't find a teenager on any of the few D-3 rosters I looked-at, not even Salve's!
            Last edited by Fishman'81; 10-04-2013, 12:16 AM.

Comment

Not angry at all.

Just cannot understand why you speak so definitively on every subject in this forum, only to be proven completely wrong on nearly every occasion?

P.S. I am talking about Jordan Singer, not a UC player. And if you want to watch teenagers at the D3 level, look at the NESCAC. That's where most of them are.
              Last edited by altazo; 10-04-2013, 12:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by altazo View Post
                And if you want to watch teenagers at the D3 level, look at the NESCAC. That's where most of them are.
                And even the NESCAC isn't exactly loaded up with 18yo freshman. Lot of junior players there also and many of the prep kids play the post-year and enter as 19yos. Bottom line is juniors creates an environment that doesn't exist in other sports. For that reason, many freshmen enter at 20 or even 21 in a few cases and that's the way it's been for 15 years. This wasn't an issue ten years ago when people griped about it here and it isn't one now. It's just the way it is, and there's nothing wrong with it so long as the kids go to class and take care of their business in the manner any other student would.
                Last edited by XYZ; 10-04-2013, 02:02 AM. Reason: plurality
                I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

Well, altazo, I actually haven't been proven wrong as often as you might think, this particular thread being an example of that.

I will say that I see a level of aggression on the D-3 threads that I don't see on the D-1 threads... I don't want to cite Freud to explain it, ergo I won't use the "P" word.

Can we just agree that an entire roster of 21+ players on a D-3 team comes-off as disingenuous vis-a-vis the supposed purity of the sport at that level? That was my point.

(Yes, I know that UC does it too... But this is not supposed to be a ****ing contest.)
                  Last edited by Fishman'81; 10-04-2013, 12:58 AM.

Comment

Well, altazo, I actually haven't been proven wrong as often as you might think, this particular thread being an example of that.

I will say that I see a level of aggression on the D-3 threads that I don't see on the D-1 threads... I don't want to cite Freud to explain it, ergo I won't use the "P" word.

Can we just agree that an entire roster of 21+ players on a D-3 team comes-off as disingenuous vis-a-vis the supposed purity of the sport at that level? That was my point.
                    Nope, can't agree with you there either. Like Webb said, if they're dedicated, attending class, and making smart decisions, then these 21 year old kids are freshmen in my book.

I'm sorry that you just now learned that there are no teams with rosters comprised of 18-22 year olds. Most of us have known that for 15 years, and it hasn't tainted the "purity" of D3 hockey for me personally.

Thanks for the psychological evaluation though, you've given me some really good stuff to think about.

P.S. didn't you used to rave about how uncool it was to post in another team's thread?

Comment

"Uncool to post on another team's thread..?"

Only if you're there to mock them, and I've said at least a dozen times that UWEC was the best team in Placid last year.

Admittedly, though, I was a little shocked to see how few D-3 teams in my limited sample had anyone at all under the age of 20... But I suppose that fact results in a level playing field in D-3 hockey.

As to the "purity" comment, I was being facetious, but I wasn't making fun of D-3 fans; pretty sure that 99% of us couldn't possibly care less about our team's average age... (I don't.)

Still, it strikes me as odd that D-3 administrators take such a lofty tone regarding "fairness", etc. when their hockey teams are partially-composed of 25 year-old grown men who (theoretically) could be pitted against guys up to 7 years their junior.

That's not criminal, mind you, but it's definitely a little ironic in my book.
                      Last edited by Fishman'81; 10-05-2013, 12:19 AM.

Comment

I just have to say it's the back and forth banter that always makes this web site either interesting, or I check in when I need a little giggle.
                        Yes, most D3 teams have older players, and as long as they are there to play and contribute to their team - it's all good with me
                        And heck, even a few are stellar students academically!

Comment

Congrats Blugolds another record!!!!!!!

http://www.leadertelegram.com/sports...9bb2963f4.html

Nice win tonight, keep it going!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X