Nescac '12-'13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nescac '12-'13

This year when I visit a rink, I will award a Game Winning Goal (GWG) to schools that have guest wireless available and a Game Misconduct (GM) where it is not. Bowdoin and Colby both get a GWG this weekend!
    Middlebury Hockey....The Greatest DIII Show on Skates

Comment

As a Bowdoin alumnus and supporter, I was disappointed by the tie with Middlebury Saturday afternoon, after the Polar Bears had built two-goal leagues on two occasions. Nevertheless, as a fan of Division III hockey, I consider myself privileged to have been able to attend such an outstanding hockey game between two excellent teams. The game was played with the speed, skill and intensity that characterize most of the matches between these two storied programs. It was college hockey at its best.

For Bowdoin, I was impressed with first-year defenseman Gabe Renaud, junior forward Ollie Koo, and senior defenseman Tim McGarry. McGarry has got to be one of the best defenseman in Division III this year. He's another one in a long line of great Bowdoin defenseman that include Bob Kullen, Bob Hall, John Vigneron, Gerry Ciarcia, Mark Pletts, Jean Roy, John Leonard, Kevin Potter, Paul Croteau, Mike Westerman, Kyle Shearer-Hardy, and Jordan Lalor, among others. (Maybe I should add John Landry, who made the All-America team as a defender, though he was a forward through most of his career.)

As to the Middlebury, all I'll say is that the Panthers are a very talented and, despite Beaney's detractors, very well-coached squad.

Is there a better Division III league from top to bottom than NESCAC?

Comment

Originally posted by Euler18 View Post
        Is there a better Division III league from top to bottom than NESCAC?
        ECAC West and maybe even the ECAC East this season might have something to say about that....
        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
        GO LAKERS!!!
        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
        Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
          ECAC West and maybe even the ECAC East this season might have something to say about that....
          It's early in the season, but the following may be an indication of top-to-bottom strength:
          NESCAC: The bottom team (Hamilton) loses two very close 0-1 games to the top team (Amherst); ECAC EAST: The bottom team (University of New England) loses 1-7 to the top team (Norwich). Does anyone in his right mind believe that the UNE has any chance of beating Norwich this year?

Comment

Originally posted by Euler18 View Post
            It's early in the season, but the following may be an indication of top-to-bottom strength:
            NESCAC: The bottom team (Hamilton) loses two very close 0-1 games to the top team (Amherst); ECAC EAST: The bottom team (University of New England) loses 1-7 to the top team (Norwich). Does anyone in his right mind believe that the UNE has any chance of beating Norwich this year?
            Amherst was the top team last year. They had losses from last season - there is no guarantee that they are the top team this year.
            2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
            2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
            2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
            2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
              Amherst was the top team last year. They had losses from last season - there is no guarantee that they are the top team this year.
              Amherst has a great returning roster and really good recruits and should be a top team once again this year . .

Comment

Originally posted by d3follower View Post
                Amherst has a great returning roster and really good recruits and should be a top team once again this year . .
                But they may or may not be THE top team in the league, and we don't know that Hamilton is going to be the worst. My money would be on the Jumbos or the Camels for that "honor"
                2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

But they may or may not be THE top team in the league, and we don't know that Hamilton is going to be the worst. My money would be on the Jumbos or the Camels for that "honor"
                  Well, we don't know who will end up being THE top team but Amherst is almost as well equipped to make a run for the top spot this year as they were last year. Jumbos have made huge strides since the days of the interlock!!!! Not the team of your memories. But the Camels haven't changed much . .

Comment

Amerst will be there again, their goaltending looked fantastic this weekend. Hamilton does not look like a cellar dellwer to me based on what I saw, but they will need to score some goals. They look to be very well coached. I am looking forward to seeing the other teams as the year progresses.

Comment

Any word on Colin Downey? Top scorer from Bowdoin last year and has not played a game yet. Injury?
                      Oswego'08, '10

From the shores of Lake Ontario to the island of Hilton Head...

2011-2012 SUNYAC Pick 'Em Champion!
                      2011-2012 D3FHL Overall Points Champs!

Comment

Originally posted by Ozz View Post
                        Any word on Colin Downey? Top scorer from Bowdoin last year and has not played a game yet. Injury?
                        Yes -- Downey is injured but is supposed to be back reasonably soon

Comment

Article from Colby website regarding 200th game in the Colby-Bowdoin Rivarlry.

http://www.colby.edu/athletics_cs/mhockey11-29-12.cfm
                          Middlebury Hockey....The Greatest DIII Show on Skates

Comment

When I wrote my post about the NESCAC being a great league from top to bottom and said Amherst was the top team and Hamilton was the bottom one, it was just an observation about the standings at that time. It wasn't an assessment of quality or a prediction of finish. In fact, the point that I was trying to make was that most teams in NESCAC are very competitive with each other, and that the gap between the top and the bottom-ranked teams is not as wide as in some other leagues.

I think Amherst is a very good team, but I'm not convinced they'll dominate the league. Bowdoin has a terrific squad, and when I saw Middlebury (in their game against Bowdoin), I found the Panthers truly impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by d3follower View Post
                              Yes -- Downey is injured but is supposed to be back reasonably soon
                              This is great news for the Polar Bears. Downey is a highly skilled player who could certainly have gone the D-1 route, at least in the Ivy League.

Comment

Another article about Bowdoin-Colby this weekend. This one on the NY Times website: http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/20...bowdoin-colby/
                                Mule Train, 2018 NESCAC Champs, made it to the Frozen Four

Comment

Working...
                                X