• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• joecct
    replied
    Re: Pre Season training

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
    They are focused on not spending money. DIII represents about 3% of the NCAA budget, and testing at every championship would greatly add to that cost. They don't have the power to mandate individual school's policies.
    Now they do. The PSU case opened up a huge can of worms on the powers of the NCAA President.

Leave a comment:

• hawk
    replied

http://www.7dvt.com/2012line-changes

The above is a link to a 7 Days (Vermont Weekly Paper) atricle on what it takes to train the top hockey players in the state. I am not sure how the D3 training prorams compare with Body Solutions but pro athletics sometime train there.

Leave a comment:

• NUProf
    replied

Originally posted by Collegeman View Post
    Not worth that much money to see the sights of Europe. ...Im sure the boys had fun but still....
    I'm sure that the competitive aspect of the trip was only a part of the consideration. As an educational experience, being able to encounter the culture of other countries is a pretty valuable thing. Not everything that happens in DIII hockey is, or even should be, focused on winning games. That (fortunately) is the difference between DIII sports and DI sports. The focus is on the education first, and athletics second.

Leave a comment:

• Collegeman
    replied
    Originally posted by hawk View Post
    joecct if every team can conduct an international hockey trip every 4 years can you tell me why more teams don't go up to Montreal, Quebec City, or Toronto for a week to get in a few pre-season games and practices. Or do you have to visist Europe so you can play a bigger variety of teams. I checked out the blog and the Castleton trip looks like an outstanding trip for a young hockey player.
    I have read the castleton team blog and sounds like the competetion was only in the 1st games the other games were absolute blow outs , winning by 10 plus goals a game. Not worth that much money to see the sights of Europe. They even had to provide players because the team they played was short players. You would think that in planning a HOCKEY trip the competetion you play would be spot on so the games were competetive. Im sure the boys had fun but still....

Leave a comment:

• NUProf
    replied

Originally posted by bear1537 View Post
    WOW, Sounds pretty loose. But I suppose they are more concerned with keeping players in the game than developing good citizens.
    They are focused on not spending money. DIII represents about 3% of the NCAA budget, and testing at every championship would greatly add to that cost. They don't have the power to mandate individual school's policies.

Leave a comment:

• Scott_TG
    replied

WOW, Sounds pretty loose. But I suppose they are more concerned with keeping players in the game than developing good citizens.
    Just because the NCAA itself isn't making it's own policy doesn't mean the schools are loose. Geneseo cancelled the whole Women's Volleyball season after an early-season hazing incident. And I know SUNY Plattsburgh has policies that they enforce regarding an athlete's conduct should they do something egregious.

Leave a comment:

• bear1537
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Scott_TG
    replied

On the subject of pre-season, does anyone know if schools do any kind of drug screening, or for example if a player has a DUI and possibly a suspended license does this affect their playing time ?

JUST ASKING ????
    At the Division III level the NCAA itself tests the Championships at least every five years and some championships every year. Not sure where hockey falls under that. After that it's up to the conference or the school itself if they want to develop and enforce their own policy.

Leave a comment:

• bear1537
    replied

On the subject of pre-season, does anyone know if schools do any kind of drug screening, or for example if a player has a DUI and possibly a suspended license does this affect their playing time ?

JUST ASKING ????

Leave a comment:

• bakdraft21
    replied

utica went to Europe last summer, I would think it makes for a loooong season.did they tail off at the end of the season??? not including the playoffs??

Leave a comment:

• norm1909
    replied

joecct if every team can conduct an international hockey trip every 4 years can you tell me why more teams don't go up to Montreal, Quebec City, or Toronto for a week to get in a few pre-season games and practices. Or do you have to visist Europe so you can play a bigger variety of teams. I checked out the blog and the Castleton trip looks like an outstanding trip for a young hockey player.
    A few years ago, Adrian went to Finland.

Leave a comment:

• hockeyfan77
    replied

Money$$$$

Leave a comment:

• hawk
    replied

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    NCAA allows a one every four years trip to a non USA location (that includes Canada, BTW) that does not count towards the game count or season length limit.

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied

Originally posted by Collegeman View Post
    I notive Castelton has taken off on a European trip to play. Do those games count in presean and reg seaon total games they can play? If they play pro teams does the NCAA wig out over that? What a great opportunity and alot of fun , wonder if players had to pay for the trip
    NCAA allows a one every four years trip to a non USA location (that includes Canada, BTW) that does not count towards the game count or season length limit.

Leave a comment:

• Collegeman
    replied

I notive Castelton has taken off on a European trip to play. Do those games count in presean and reg seaon total games they can play? If they play pro teams does the NCAA wig out over that? What a great opportunity and alot of fun , wonder if players had to pay for the trip

Leave a comment:

Working...
X