X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• joecct
    replied
    Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
    You made great points until this IMHO. I think the lacrosse championship SUCCESS is the biggest reason why hockey is trying this. The DIII final game has gotten upwards of 20,000 people to it as well as TV coverage on ESPN.

Combining the lacrosse has been a great thing for Division III side there but their seasons also ended at the same time and the championship is either in Foxboro or Baltimore every year pretty much which are lacrosse hot beds.

Tampa St Louis San Jose Washington DC etc aren't so much for D3 hockey.
    Prezde

20,000? Did not look like that many.

Leave a comment:

• Hammer
    replied
    Re: Placid certainly not flaccid

You would have loved it the year they went to Anaheim.

Leave a comment:

• PrezdeJohnson09
    replied
    Originally posted by joecct View Post

I think the best parallel would be to lacrosse. The D-I semis and final draw very well. The D-II and D-III finals no so much.
    You made great points until this IMHO. I think the lacrosse championship SUCCESS is the biggest reason why hockey is trying this. The DIII final game has gotten upwards of 20,000 people to it as well as TV coverage on ESPN.

Combining the lacrosse has been a great thing for Division III side there but their seasons also ended at the same time and the championship is either in Foxboro or Baltimore every year pretty much which are lacrosse hot beds.

Tampa St Louis San Jose Washington DC etc aren't so much for D3 hockey.

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied

Originally posted by PuckVoice View Post
    While I am hearing the unhappiness out there loud and clear and I certainly share some of the concerns there is a positive side to this too ... it certainly will get the D-3 Final more attention than it has ever been able to get before ... I'm sure the game will be part of the total ticket package ... meaning the biggest crowd ever for a D-3 Title Game ... and just maybe some decent TV coverage. Can you imagine if the Norwich/St. Norbert double overtime 2010 title game had been played before 18,000 fans? That was one of the ten greatest college games ever played. That kind of exposure would be HUGE for D-3 Hockey!
    I really think you're being optimistic on this. The D-I ticket package is approaching $200 - which is sticker shock to the D-III audience. If the final is at the same time the Hobey Baker announcement, the D-III final press will be an afterthought.

Further, D-I goes to out of the way places. Would D-III fans make last minute arrangements to fly to Tampa, St. Louis, or Washington, DC?

I think the best parallel would be to lacrosse. The D-I semis and final draw very well. The D-II and D-III finals no so much.

Leave a comment:

• LakerEagleLover
    replied

While I am hearing the unhappiness out there loud and clear and I certainly share some of the concerns there is a positive side to this too ... it certainly will get the D-3 Final more attention than it has ever been able to get before ... I'm sure the game will be part of the total ticket package ... meaning the biggest crowd ever for a D-3 Title Game ... and just maybe some decent TV coverage. Can you imagine if the Norwich/St. Norbert double overtime 2010 title game had been played before 18,000 fans? That was one of the ten greatest college games ever played. That kind of exposure would be HUGE for D-3 Hockey!
    PSU is right - you won't get more than Lake Placid - I agree you will get less...and TV won't be more than the live streams of the past couple years - no money in it....no audience in it....

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

and just maybe some decent TV coverage.
    Any TV coverage would be an improvement above last year. The ECAC was the only league on the D-I side to not have any TV coverage of the championships. They only did an online stream.

Leave a comment:

• norm1909
    replied

My biggest gripe is that little (if any) solicitation of the stakeholders was made - certainly NO public input was sought. The ball clearly has been rolling in some NCAA court for quite sometime, yet nothing shy of derivatives can be found. Officially, the NCAA maybe a near $1 BILLION, 501(c)(3) tax exempt organization - but sooner than later, their arrogance and incompetence will get the better of them. The real NCAA motto: "The ego of the few outweigh the respect and rights of the many." This is NOT an attack on any single individual, this is an observation of the whole - a vocal - AND DETERMINED - minority bullying the masses.

Leave a comment:

• PSUChamps2001
    replied
    Yes and no. While it may be part of a ticket package you only need to look at what use to happen when the "big" school (Norwich, Plattsburgh, Midd) didn't make the finals. While it was a part of the ticket package a lot of fans didn't care.

Another thing. If you think 18,000 people are going to watch a little DIII game (yes that's how a lot of DI fans feel) your nuts. While we might gain 1,000 fans or so we will lose 1,500 because of travel. Lake Placid works because its in the meatof DIII. How many people are going to buy tickets for a game a year in advance with out even knowing if your teams in the playoffs let alone FF let alone the Championship game. And to get DI FF tickets is not only $$$$ but hard to get unless they did a seperate package who knows but you will see a smaller attendance in a much bigger rink paying more to play in an empty rink.

Leave a comment:

• PuckVoice
    replied

Leave a comment:

• radiox
    replied

One of the reasons why the ECAC left Lake Placid was because the facility had not been updated since the 80 Olympics. For some reason I heard people were so anal that they did not want to touch the lockers that Craig and Eurizone dressed in. At times ORDA clings to the past a little too much. ECAC should have never left Lake Placid for Albany in the first place. ECAC isn't as big as they think they are and I think they are realizing that now, plus putting the D-III Frozen Four with D-I would kill the charm of the event. I would rather see it back at Campus sights.

Leave a comment:

• d3follower
    replied

Originally posted by spwood View Post
    How do the Div I Frozen Four size surfaces compare to the Div III rinks? Are Div III teams suddenly going to be playing the Championship game on a surface larger than they have played on all year? If so, that's the real tragedy here....
    Lake Placid has an Olympic-size ice surface (200x100). I don't remember any "tragedy" in the prior D3 play-offs that took place in Lake Placid. The ECAC would like the ice surface at Lake Placid to be reduced to size of the smaller ice surfaces at ECAC schools but the owners of the Lake Placid facility are unlikely to agree to such a change . .
    Last edited by d3follower; 08-15-2012, 07:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Hammer
    replied
    Originally posted by spwood View Post
    How do the Div I Frozen Four size surfaces compare to the Div III rinks? Are Div III teams suddenly going to be playing the Championship game on a surface larger than they have played on all year? If so, that's the real tragedy here....
    No. D-1 has played their championships mainly on NHL sized rinks for some time now.

Leave a comment:

• spwood
    replied

Leave a comment:

• norm1909
    replied

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
    But making the teams that earn a bye sitting around for an extra week of doing nothing...(well maybe practicing). The problem is that some schools are going to run into ice problems unless they own their own facility.
    That is the "bully effect" of this - even Plattsburgh is going to have issues - sure the hockey program is immune (or can think they are), but programs such as the Skating Club of the Adirondacks which traditionally hosts its annual figure-skating show following the end of the hockey season will also have to adjust (or take their dollars elsewhere).

Leave a comment:

• NUProf
    replied

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
    Eliminating the need for mid-week (lower turn-out) play-ins.
    But making the teams that earn a bye sitting around for an extra week of doing nothing...(well maybe practicing). The problem is that some schools are going to run into ice problems unless they own their own facility.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X