Placid certainly not flaccid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PuckVoice View Post
    While I am hearing the unhappiness out there loud and clear and I certainly share some of the concerns there is a positive side to this too ... it certainly will get the D-3 Final more attention than it has ever been able to get before ... I'm sure the game will be part of the total ticket package ... meaning the biggest crowd ever for a D-3 Title Game ... and just maybe some decent TV coverage. Can you imagine if the Norwich/St. Norbert double overtime 2010 title game had been played before 18,000 fans? That was one of the ten greatest college games ever played. That kind of exposure would be HUGE for D-3 Hockey!
    Yes and no. While it may be part of a ticket package you only need to look at what use to happen when the "big" school (Norwich, Plattsburgh, Midd) didn't make the finals. While it was a part of the ticket package a lot of fans didn't care.

Another thing. If you think 18,000 people are going to watch a little DIII game (yes that's how a lot of DI fans feel) your nuts. While we might gain 1,000 fans or so we will lose 1,500 because of travel. Lake Placid works because its in the meatof DIII. How many people are going to buy tickets for a game a year in advance with out even knowing if your teams in the playoffs let alone FF let alone the Championship game. And to get DI FF tickets is not only $$$$ but hard to get unless they did a seperate package who knows but you will see a smaller attendance in a much bigger rink paying more to play in an empty rink.
    Remy Babineaux
    remyb616@gmail.com
    D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Re: Placid certainly not flaccid

While I am hearing the unhappiness out there loud and clear and I certainly share some of the concerns there is a positive side to this too ... it certainly will get the D-3 Final more attention than it has ever been able to get before ... I'm sure the game will be part of the total ticket package ... meaning the biggest crowd ever for a D-3 Title Game ... and just maybe some decent TV coverage. Can you imagine if the Norwich/St. Norbert double overtime 2010 title game had been played before 18,000 fans? That was one of the ten greatest college games ever played. That kind of exposure would be HUGE for D-3 Hockey!
      My biggest gripe is that little (if any) solicitation of the stakeholders was made - certainly NO public input was sought. The ball clearly has been rolling in some NCAA court for quite sometime, yet nothing shy of derivatives can be found. Officially, the NCAA maybe a near $1 BILLION, 501(c)(3) tax exempt organization - but sooner than later, their arrogance and incompetence will get the better of them. The real NCAA motto: "The ego of the few outweigh the respect and rights of the many." This is NOT an attack on any single individual, this is an observation of the whole - a vocal - AND DETERMINED - minority bullying the masses.
      Larry Normandin
      SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
      WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

and just maybe some decent TV coverage.
        Any TV coverage would be an improvement above last year. The ECAC was the only league on the D-I side to not have any TV coverage of the championships. They only did an online stream.

Comment

PSU is right - you won't get more than Lake Placid - I agree you will get less...and TV won't be more than the live streams of the past couple years - no money in it....no audience in it....
          LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

I really think you're being optimistic on this. The D-I ticket package is approaching $200 - which is sticker shock to the D-III audience. If the final is at the same time the Hobey Baker announcement, the D-III final press will be an afterthought.

Further, D-I goes to out of the way places. Would D-III fans make last minute arrangements to fly to Tampa, St. Louis, or Washington, DC?

I think the best parallel would be to lacrosse. The D-I semis and final draw very well. The D-II and D-III finals no so much.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post

I think the best parallel would be to lacrosse. The D-I semis and final draw very well. The D-II and D-III finals no so much.
              You made great points until this IMHO. I think the lacrosse championship SUCCESS is the biggest reason why hockey is trying this. The DIII final game has gotten upwards of 20,000 people to it as well as TV coverage on ESPN.

Combining the lacrosse has been a great thing for Division III side there but their seasons also ended at the same time and the championship is either in Foxboro or Baltimore every year pretty much which are lacrosse hot beds.

Tampa St Louis San Jose Washington DC etc aren't so much for D3 hockey.
              The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
              "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
              GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
              GO LAKERS!!!
              GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
              "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
              Oswego State '09

Comment

You would have loved it the year they went to Anaheim.
                FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                  You made great points until this IMHO. I think the lacrosse championship SUCCESS is the biggest reason why hockey is trying this. The DIII final game has gotten upwards of 20,000 people to it as well as TV coverage on ESPN.

Combining the lacrosse has been a great thing for Division III side there but their seasons also ended at the same time and the championship is either in Foxboro or Baltimore every year pretty much which are lacrosse hot beds.

Tampa St Louis San Jose Washington DC etc aren't so much for D3 hockey.
                  Prezde

20,000? Did not look like that many.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    Prezde

20,000? Did not look like that many.
                    There may not have been 20K at this past one but I know in previous ones where Cortland and I believe the year Tufts won its gotten close to or exceeded that number.
                    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                    GO LAKERS!!!
                    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                    Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
                      How do the Div I Frozen Four size surfaces compare to the Div III rinks? Are Div III teams suddenly going to be playing the Championship game on a surface larger than they have played on all year? If so, that's the real tragedy here....
                      Says the fan of team with a mini-rink that remodeled and left it miniature sized . Everybody plays on rinks with larger dimensions than Plattsburgh
                      Last edited by NUProf; 08-16-2012, 07:08 AM. Reason: I can't type
                      2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                      2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                      2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                      2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                        Says the fan of team with a mini-rink that remodeled and left it miniature sized . Everybody plays on rinks with larger dimensions than Plattsburgh
                        I believe it's called Home Field Advantage. Take out 15 feet at centre ice and you can catch teams off guard. It worked for Buffalo at the Aud.

Comment

Don't you mean: "Everybody is closer to center ice at Plattsburgh"
                          Larry Normandin
                          SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                          WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

I, for one, enjoy watching the arena football of hockey
                            Go Cards: win or lose, The Better Team.
                            A Lot of (Sometimes Tainted) SUNYAC Championships
                            A Handful of ECAC West Championships
                            A Number of NCAA Appearances, Including Several Trips to the Final Four, Though Some of Them Don't Count
                            Some National Championships:
                            Women's (THIS YEAR, LAST YEAR, A Couple Years Back, '08, '07)
                            Men's (Wow Look at the Time Pass, A While before That)

Comment

although I/we/Oswego got jacked up back in the day, 87, like the campus setting, dont know much about the particulars that it involves but just my 2cents from a former player.......

Comment

Isn’t there a lottery system for getting DI FF tickets if your team is not in-the-mix (and you cannot get pre-allocated tickets)? I seem to recall having a hard time scoring tickets way-back in 2001 (Albany FF), and if not for my connections with an arena sponsor, I would not have been able to get in. However, that was also when the venues were smaller. As the popularity of DI college hockey has grown, so have the venues... but I do not know if the venue capacities have kept-up with the demand.

I seem to recall talking with “Kuz” about this a while back, and he & his wife have gone to just-about every DI FF over the past 15-20 years, but he has no problems with getting tickets due to his “seniority” (for lack of a better term) in the lottery system. Does anyone know if this lottery system still applies to the DI FF?

As for TV coverage, don't get too excited... there is a whole thread dedicated to that topic in the Café (Complain About ESPN Thread). Last year’s DI FF coverage was terrible, with a good portion of the games on ESPNU and ESPN3. The Championship game was broadcasted on ESPN2 (link to the semis/finals). Nothing made the flagship channel ESPN... nothing. So it is likely that we will not see the DIII final game get any increase in TV coverage as a result of this move... at least not until the ESPN/NCAA deal on all championships (except squeekball) expires, which is in 2023-2024.

Oh, and I simply must quote this (out of context, of course), with apologies...
                                Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                                ...(yes that's how a lot of DI fans feel) your nuts.
                                Dave
                                RIT - '90

Comment

Working...
                                X