Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Placid certainly not flaccid

Originally posted by DH003325 View Post
    I do believe that the NESCAC probably will go back to not taking part in the NCAA Tournament. How would the playoffs work? Would the conference championships be pushed from March 1 to March 15? Would the NCAA Tournament stretch over 4 weeks, with the play-ins March 22, Quarter-finals on March 29, Semi-finals at campus sites April 5, then the Final in Philly April 11? Or, would the playoffs start a week earlier with there being a 2-week break between the Semis and the Final? Anyone who has insight please shed some light.
    RE: This thread is lit.

Some sparks here.

... and a future combined championship in men's ice hockey (Divisions I and III) ... (see page 176 of 177)
    Last edited by norm1909; 08-14-2012, 08:44 PM.
    Larry Normandin
    SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
    WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

I am mainly interested in the format and dates of the playoffs. Those threads don't say much except that the start date of the season will be pushed back, which we already know. It is likely the semis will be on-campus. I'm wondering mainly how many weeks the playoffs will be pushed back , and how many weeks the NCAA Tournament will be spread over (i.e. will the play-ins and Quarters be separate weeks, and will there be 1 week or 2 between the semis and the final?)

I realize the NCAA Final will more than likely be combined with the D-1 Frozen Four. Already know the info in the other threads.
      Last edited by DH003325; 08-14-2012, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
        Yuck
        That's what he said
        Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

I am mainly interested in the format and dates of the playoffs. Those threads don't say much except that the start date of the season will be pushed back, which we already know. It is likely the semis will be on-campus. I'm wondering mainly how many weeks the playoffs will be pushed back , and how many weeks the NCAA Tournament will be spread over (i.e. will the play-ins and Quarters be separate weeks, and will there be 1 week or 2 between the semis and the final?)

I realize the NCAA Final will more than likely be combined with the D-1 Frozen Four. Already know the info in the other threads.
          If you push back the start of the season - the end of season moves back too (without changing anything else).
          Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

I realize that. I'm trying to get a feel for which weekends each particular round would be played on.

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
            If you push back the start of the season - the end of season moves back too (without changing anything else).

Comment

I realize that. I'm trying to get a feel for which weekends each particular round would be played on.
              I don't think they are planning on many changes to the format - they are very unlikely combine playoff venues, as that would increase the demand (and expense) of hotel rooms and they don't like that (note page 4).
              Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Figure Conference championships are around 3/15. NCAA would start the following weekend with one series per weekend. We get 4 weeks to complete the tournament, rather than the current 2.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  Figure Conference championships are around 3/15. NCAA would start the following weekend with one series per weekend. We get 4 weeks to complete the tournament, rather than the current 2.
                  Eliminating the need for mid-week (lower turn-out) play-ins.
                  Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
                    Eliminating the need for mid-week (lower turn-out) play-ins.
                    But making the teams that earn a bye sitting around for an extra week of doing nothing...(well maybe practicing). The problem is that some schools are going to run into ice problems unless they own their own facility.
                    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                      But making the teams that earn a bye sitting around for an extra week of doing nothing...(well maybe practicing). The problem is that some schools are going to run into ice problems unless they own their own facility.
                      That is the "bully effect" of this - even Plattsburgh is going to have issues - sure the hockey program is immune (or can think they are), but programs such as the Skating Club of the Adirondacks which traditionally hosts its annual figure-skating show following the end of the hockey season will also have to adjust (or take their dollars elsewhere).
                      Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

How do the Div I Frozen Four size surfaces compare to the Div III rinks? Are Div III teams suddenly going to be playing the Championship game on a surface larger than they have played on all year? If so, that's the real tragedy here....
                        Steve
                        Penn State Class of '95
                        Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
                          How do the Div I Frozen Four size surfaces compare to the Div III rinks? Are Div III teams suddenly going to be playing the Championship game on a surface larger than they have played on all year? If so, that's the real tragedy here....
                          No. D-1 has played their championships mainly on NHL sized rinks for some time now.
                          FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
                            Lake Placid has an Olympic-size ice surface (200x100). I don't remember any "tragedy" in the prior D3 play-offs that took place in Lake Placid. The ECAC would like the ice surface at Lake Placid to be reduced to size of the smaller ice surfaces at ECAC schools but the owners of the Lake Placid facility are unlikely to agree to such a change . .
                            Last edited by d3follower; 08-15-2012, 07:58 AM.

Comment

One of the reasons why the ECAC left Lake Placid was because the facility had not been updated since the 80 Olympics. For some reason I heard people were so anal that they did not want to touch the lockers that Craig and Eurizone dressed in. At times ORDA clings to the past a little too much. ECAC should have never left Lake Placid for Albany in the first place. ECAC isn't as big as they think they are and I think they are realizing that now, plus putting the D-III Frozen Four with D-I would kill the charm of the event. I would rather see it back at Campus sights.

Comment

While I am hearing the unhappiness out there loud and clear and I certainly share some of the concerns there is a positive side to this too ... it certainly will get the D-3 Final more attention than it has ever been able to get before ... I'm sure the game will be part of the total ticket package ... meaning the biggest crowd ever for a D-3 Title Game ... and just maybe some decent TV coverage. Can you imagine if the Norwich/St. Norbert double overtime 2010 title game had been played before 18,000 fans? That was one of the ten greatest college games ever played. That kind of exposure would be HUGE for D-3 Hockey!

Comment

Working...
                                X