Final Four Moving Back to Campus Sites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Final Four Moving Back to Campus Sites

While I understand where the other guy is coming from, I completely agree with your post. BUT...you don't need to belittle other people's opinion to make your point. You clearly do your homework and know lots of stats. Lose the attitude (i.e. "Your opinion is so stupid it disgusts me") - it just makes you come off like a d-bag.

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
    Yea because it would be SOOO much cheaper to travel to Norwich where 2200 is a sell out .... Heck lets go to Amherst where you can hardly fit 1,000 people in there. The last 18 NCAA FF games NOT at a neutral site (1999-2005) averaged 2100 fans. Since then the Final Four has averaged nearly 3,100...so apparantly fans can still afford to go to games compared to years past when the economy was better and gas was cheaper, even when 4 of the 6 were at Midd or Norwich.

And I will say it again, if Lake Placid can host the little thing they call the Olympics, the can host a freakn DIII Final Four. Sure RIT is nice...Are you going to fit ALL PSU, Midd, Norwich, Oswego, Elmira, ect ect fans in their rink? Or what happens when Amherst makes the push to #1, or god for bid Potsdam or Hobart?? There are only a HANDFUL of teams (like 6) who average more then 50% capacity...so most players/fans (besides your Oswego, Utica, Norwich, Plattsburgh, SNC) are use to playing in an half empty barn. Sure HBA is listed at 7700, but a full 3-5,000+ lower bowl is more then 99% of what the teams are use to. The Championship game a few years ago between Gusties and Neumann still drew 3100+. Thats more then EVERY game from 1999-2005 which included SEVERAL big teams.

Yes it sucks Lake Placid is not 10 minutes from New York City or a stone throw from your backdoor, I'm so sorry. So we should just change it to play in megotropolis Northfield? What's the airport code for Northfield? How many bus terminals? I imagine you must have every major airline flying out of Northfield as well no? I too remember the old days of finding out Saturday night if my team was going to the Final Four, and then Sunday evening making plans with your buddies on who's driving who, and who's leaving when.

If you want to host a FF in DIII, you have to have the capacity of 4,000 + , period!

Having said all that, I'd be in a big favor of say maybe an 4 region system (Lake Placid, Boston, Atlantic City and Minn/Wisc) or even toss in Rochester/Buffalo/Syracuse in there. Heck even the Aud in Utica or Albany. Problem is NO ONE WANTS TO BID ON IT!! Buffalo (Buff State/Fredonia/SUNYAC), Syracuse (Oswego/Cortland, Hamilton, Morrisville), Rochester (NAZ, Elmira, Hobart, Geneseo, Brockport), Albany (Skidmore, Williams, Middlebury), Atlantic City (Neumann), Boston (okay too many to name). But as I said BID ON IT!!

Lake Placid is a GREAT hockey town/area and a "short" central location for the big three (or 4 now) Norwich, Plattsburgh, Middlebury, Oswego. I'm still not sold on the whole "DI/DIII" thing unless DI is willing to keep it "near" DIII schools. Obviously Minny, Lake Placid, Boston will be okay, but Denver? California? Florida? Lots of DIII teams out there. It's not the fact I don't mind playing second fiddle, but yikes.

Comment

Originally posted by llama View Post
      While I understand where the other guy is coming from, I completely agree with your post. BUT...you don't need to belittle other people's opinion to make your point. You clearly do your homework and know lots of stats. Lose the attitude (i.e. "Your opinion is so stupid it disgusts me") - it just makes you come off like a d-bag.
      Personal attacks are self degrading, something like this is better
      Larry Normandin
      SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
      WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

That is hilarious!! I think I might have worked for that guy...

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
        Personal attacks are self degrading, something like this is better

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
          You cannot possibly be more wrong.
          I've talked to many people that have played under both scenarios. They preferred the smaller packed house (even if it was at an away school) over the bigger half-empty barn every time.

Comment

Combined DI/DIII championship means DIII hockey in April with a 3 week gap before the finals. That'll really work well for hockey players who try to do spring sports too.
            John Nabors

RIT Tigers - A Long Hockey Tradition
            AHA Regular Season Champions 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
            AHA Tournament Champions 2010, 2015, 2016
            NCAA DI - 2010, 2015, 2016
            NCAA Frozen 4 - 2010
            NCAA DII - 1983
            NCAA DIII - 1984, 1985, 1989, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002

Comment

Originally posted by AldenPartridge1819 View Post
              I've talked to many people that have played under both scenarios. They preferred the smaller packed house (even if it was at an away school) over the bigger half-empty barn every time.
              The same ones who said Kyle Thomas is an average player too right?
              Remy Babineaux
              remyb616@gmail.com
              D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Good weekend of hockey. The best team in the tournament won the Championship. They took it to both Norwich & Oswego.

THANK YOU PLATTSBURGH FOR HOSTING AND I LOOK FOWARD GOING BACK NEXT YEAR

Comment

If the NCAA had any forethought, they would combine the DI men and women's tournaments at a single location, and the DIII Men and Women's tournaments at another location. How hard is that to figure out?
                  Formerly known as NUSuntan

Comment

I agree with both sides. Lake placid has run its corse. The rink has its history but the ice surface is soft and slow. The players cant skate and handle the puck the way they can on modern fast(harder) ice surface. It makes a slopy game to watch. But i do think the game should be at an of campus location that can handle a big crowd. Maybe in a better hockey market area were local hockey fans that dont follow d-3 hockey might buy a ticket just because its ncaa hokey.

Comment

I am so sick of the moaning and groaning ... Lake Placid is the best ...

There will never be a perfect venue ... it will always be too big for one guy's taste ... too far away for another's ... but in my years doing the games I've done the championship game thing at home ... on the road ... at neutral sites ... nothing compares with the excitement of being at the Olympic Center. and consider this ... while there over the weekend I was listening to the local radio station ... they did a full length preview of the event on the air ... it was the biggest event of the weekend there ... that means something!

The best idea I've heard in a while is combining the D-3 men's AND women's tournaments at the same site ... as to the merging of the D-1 and D-3 men's events at the same site ... at first I liked it ... but the more I think about it the more I wonder how it can work ... isn't that just way too late for D-3 hockey?

Comment

Originally posted by Transplanted Tiger Fan View Post
                        Question for those in Lake Placid this weekend... would you be planning to spend the weekend in Tampa in a few weeks if the DIII tournament was paired-up with the DI events this year?.
                        not a chance. It doesn't make any sense to hold the FF 2,000 miles from the nearest D-III school. On top of that, the reason Lake Placid is a good choice is because it's both affordable and there are things to do. Plenty of fairly inexpensive hotels and restaurants and all 3 games cost $27. If you combine the D-1/3 FF, you can forget that.

Comment

Originally posted by PuckVoice View Post

There will never be a perfect venue ... it will always be too big for one guy's taste ... too far away for another's ... but in my years doing the games I've done the championship game thing at home ... on the road ... at neutral sites ... nothing compares with the excitement of being at the Olympic Center. and consider this ... while there over the weekend I was listening to the local radio station ... they did a full length preview of the event on the air ... it was the biggest event of the weekend there ... that means something!

The best idea I've heard in a while is combining the D-3 men's AND women's tournaments at the same site ... as to the merging of the D-1 and D-3 men's events at the same site ... at first I liked it ... but the more I think about it the more I wonder how it can work ... isn't that just way too late for D-3 hockey?
                          I agree with George.

Comment

Some of the very legitimate arguments against combining the DI & DIII championships, particularly the time of the games and the distance to the venue will clearly and obviously have to be legislated into mutually agreeable mediums. While I have little confidence in the competency of many (there are exceptions) of the committee members, I do believe they are driven by their egos and that for those of that mentality is a very strong force. Incompetent, under qualified egotists usually succeed through a strong charisma and the ability (predatory skill) to identify and become "mentors" of highly skilled underachieving individuals upon which to build their "empire". As such, I do have confidence that the basic needs/requirements of a merged DI & DIII championship will be properly addressed prior to implementation. The driving force is ego and among the most important scoring statistics of egotists is money, including make it but also merely being involved with it, it is the huge sums present in the professional sports markets that they want to tap into, don't underestimate their determination and drive. Will it be BEST for the DI & DIII sports? Sometimes even a blind squirrel finds a nut, so it could - who knows, if their servant pool is good enough, it might work out, but it is TBA and, IMO it will happen.
                            Last edited by norm1909; 03-18-2012, 07:24 AM.
                            Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by PuckVoice View Post

There will never be a perfect venue ...The best idea I've heard in a while is combining the D-3 men's AND women's tournaments at the same site ... as to the merging of the D-1 and D-3 men's events at the same site ... at first I liked it ... but the more I think about it the more I wonder how it can work ... isn't that just way too late for D-3 hockey?
                              Ah yes That would be GREAT Mens womens together Just look at which 8 teams would have been in Lake Placid this weekend
                              2 mens semis Friday
                              2 womens semis & mens championship Sat
                              Womens championship Sunday or vice versa
                              Steve Day(NU71)
                              Go Cadets

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Day View Post
                                Ah yes That would be GREAT Mens womens together Just look at which 8 teams would have been in Lake Placid this weekend
                                2 mens semis Friday
                                2 womens semis & mens championship Sat
                                Womens championship Sunday or vice versa
                                +1 !!! - And to all who think a combined Men's & Women's DIII Championship in Lake Placid would be as "close to perfect" as could be expected.
                                Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Working...
                                X