Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Potsdam in the playoffs????

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Potsdam in the playoffs????

    Originally posted by nysportsfan29 View Post
    It's always tough enforcing these penalties because it seems to harm more kids after the fact than those who were involved in the rule-breaking.
    When did the NCAA start caring about the kids after the fact? Inquiring minds playing football at Ohio State and USC (those are the two examples that came off the top of my head) are dying to know!!!
    Last edited by spwood; 02-14-2012, 01:43 PM.
    Steve
    Penn State Class of '95
    Plattsburgh State Class of '99

    If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Potsdam in the playoffs????

      Originally posted by Saints17 View Post
      I do not know any specifics of who may have kept what or what they may or may not have decided.
      Their 2010-11 roster is here and their 2011-12 here.Less Seniors, the missing Canadian players are:

      Mike Purcell - Pickering, Ontario (Freshman in 2010-11)
      Matt Rhymer - Kingston, Ontario (Junior in 2010-11) - Still a student
      Todd Hosmer - Scarbrough, Ontario (Junior in 2010-11)
      David Carr - Edmonton, Alberta (Freshman in 2010-11)
      Brandon Couto - Bowmanville, Ontario (Freshman in 2010-11)
      Matt Miller - Pickering, Ontario (Sophmore in 2010-11)
      Trevor O'Neill - Keswick, Ontario (Junior in 2010-11) - Still a student


      Jesse Ostring - Ylojarvi, Finland (Freshman in 2010-11)


      Returning Canadian players are:
      Bill Tsekos - Montreal, Quebec (wore #7, now #18)
      Nick Avgerinos - Bolton, Ontario (wore #9, now #7)
      Mike Foy - Markham, Ontario (wore #15, now #4)
      Matt Viola - Toronto, Ontario (wore #17, now #10)
      Sy Nutkevitch - Montreal, Quebec
      Brett Waters - Uxbridge, Ontario
      Hunter Syrydiuk - Toronto, Ontario
      Mike Arnold - Didsbury, Alberta (wore #26, now #17)
      Adam Place - Scarborough, Ontario (wore #28, now #11)
      Andy Groulx - Rockland, Ontario
      Larry Normandin
      SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

      Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

      God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

      Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

      Twitter w/ Bob Emery

      WIRY (Windows Player)
      WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

      Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

      Pen pals

      D3HOCKEY.com

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Potsdam in the playoffs????

        Originally posted by spwood View Post
        When did the NCAA start caring about the kids after the fact? Inquiring minds playing football at Ohio State and USC (those are the two examples that came off the top of my head) are dying to know!!!
        Very true.

        Perhaps D-III hockey has inspired them to turn over a new leaf... Doubtful, but it would be a welcome change - the NCAA's actions have made it pretty clear that they care more about making (and not spending) money than they do about student athletes.
        Oswego State Great Lakers: 2007 National Champions
        08-09 WTOP 10 Sports Director
        2/20/2009: First Ever Laker Hockey Webcast

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Potsdam in the playoffs????

          Originally posted by nysportsfan29 View Post
          Very true.

          Perhaps D-III hockey has inspired them to turn over a new leaf... Doubtful, but it would be a welcome change - the NCAA's actions have made it pretty clear that they care more about making (and not spending) money than they do about student athletes.
          To be biblical (of course a Nazareth reference last summer zinged over everybody's head). In this regard the NCAA is saying "go forth and sin nomore"
          2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
          2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
          2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
          2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Potsdam in the playoffs????

            Why is this even being brought up?

            As long as the roster is "clean" at the start of the season, they are eligible. And they are. The same reason the Potsdam men's lacrosse team last year, which was also cited, was eligible. They "cleaned" their roster before the season started. The same reason Neumann is eligible this year. The same reason Geneseo and Buffalo State were eligible the year after they got caught.

            Clean means having no players on the roster currently (the past does not matter) receiving the financial aid that got them into trouble.

            There is no need to continue with this thread.
            Russell Jaslow
            [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
            U.S. College Hockey Online

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Potsdam in the playoffs????

              Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
              Why is this even being brought up?

              As long as the roster is "clean" at the start of the season, they are eligible. And they are. The same reason the Potsdam men's lacrosse team last year, which was also cited, was eligible. They "cleaned" their roster before the season started. The same reason Neumann is eligible this year. The same reason Geneseo and Buffalo State were eligible the year after they got caught.

              Clean means having no players on the roster currently (the past does not matter) receiving the financial aid that got them into trouble.

              There is no need to continue with this thread.
              Well Excuse Me!!

              Sounds like SOMETHING hit a nerve
              Larry Normandin
              SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

              Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

              God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

              Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

              Twitter w/ Bob Emery

              WIRY (Windows Player)
              WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

              Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

              Pen pals

              D3HOCKEY.com

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: Potsdam in the playoffs????

                Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
                Well Excuse Me!!

                Sounds like SOMETHING hit a nerve
                All it means Norm is go ahead and cheat....win a few games...Championship(s).....and when you get caught say you're sorry and I'll never do it again, stop doing it...and move on with Big Brother watching over you for a couple years...sounds fair to me...(no offense to Potsdam because memory serving me correctly wern't they a heck of a lot smaller then 99% of those being athletes?)
                Remy Babineaux
                remyb616@gmail.com
                D3FHL Web Page

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: Potsdam in the playoffs????

                  Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
                  Well Excuse Me!!

                  Sounds like SOMETHING hit a nerve
                  The Redundancy Department of Redundancy is what hit my nerve.

                  Or, nothing is ever settled in an Internet forum except constant repetition. (see Groundhog Day)
                  Russell Jaslow
                  [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                  U.S. College Hockey Online

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: Potsdam in the playoffs????

                    Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                    The Redundancy Department of Redundancy is what hit my nerve.

                    Or, nothing is ever settled in an Internet forum except constant repetition. (see Groundhog Day)
                    In fairness, I think some people did not realize that the post season ban that was given to Potsdam last year was conditional in the same way that Neumann's was. (The ban got reported as absolute, and the conditional part of was missed in the reports, kind of like fine print.)

                    There are also people who don't like that decision, and I would find it curious, but that was the decision, so Potsdam's eligibility is consistent with Neumann's eligibility.
                    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: Potsdam in the playoffs????

                      Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                      The Redundancy Department of Redundancy is what hit my nerve.

                      Or, nothing is ever settled in an Internet forum except constant repetition. (see Groundhog Day)
                      In the words of Vince Lombardi - Only perfect practice makes perfect.

                      The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.
                      Larry Normandin
                      SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

                      Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

                      God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

                      Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

                      Twitter w/ Bob Emery

                      WIRY (Windows Player)
                      WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

                      Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

                      Pen pals

                      D3HOCKEY.com

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X