Post all your cries whines, objections, complaints here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
    On last nights Behind The Bench Bob Emery disclosed that actually with the NCAA cirteria Plattsburgh should have had the number 2 spot in the previous weeks poll. He did not know why they weren't. You can listen to the recorded show on www.wiry.com
    Thanks. This is exactly what i don't understand. If Plattsburgh won the comparison last week, why weren't they ahead last week. All I ask is for consistency. That's all.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Comment

• Re: Post all your cries whines, objections, complaints here

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
      Some dumb penalties??????

Season penalty statistics per collegehockeystats

Code:
        1   Univ. New England           25     557      22.3
        2   Castleton                   27     535      19.8
        3   Saint Michael's             27     445      16.5
        4   New England Coll.           26     400      15.4
        5   Southern Maine              26     399      15.3
        6   Saint Anselm                26     361      13.9
        7   UMass Boston                26     337      13.0
        8   Skidmore                    26     334      12.8
        9   Babson                      28     354      12.6
       10   Norwich                     28     260       9.3
      Nearly 20 minutes per game in the course of a 27 game schedule is more than an occasional dumb penalty. That's a pattern. When Norwich has a rash of penalties in a game, those are occasional dumb penalties.
      So this is how the perception thing gets going, let add some facts to this:in 16 of the 27 games this year CSC had less pen/min than the opposition, take away 5 games that were smozzels and CSC ave 15 min in penalties(still too much but there is no "pattern"), against Norwich game 1 Norwich 5p 10 min,CSC 7p 14 min,game 2 Norwich 7p 25 min CSC 9p 26min, USM 7p 25 min CSC 8p 16 min, 2 playoff games CSC 7p 14 min and 3p 6min

Comment

Originally posted by 1985 View Post
        So this is how the perception thing gets going, let add some facts to this:in 16 of the 27 games this year CSC had less pen/min than the opposition, take away 5 games that were smozzels and CSC ave 15 min in penalties(still too much but there is no "pattern"), against Norwich game 1 Norwich 5p 10 min,CSC 7p 14 min,game 2 Norwich 7p 25 min CSC 9p 26min, USM 7p 25 min CSC 8p 16 min, 2 playoff games CSC 7p 14 min and 3p 6min
        The difference is statistically significant. Don't try to dress it up. Every team has high penalty games. It is telling that teams that normally don't take a lot of penalties end up with more penalties than usual when they play Castleton. The second NU game is a good example Norwich took almost three times as many penalty minutes above their average.
        Last edited by NUProf; 03-08-2011, 05:40 PM.
        2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
        2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
        2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
        2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

The difference is statistically significant. Don't try to dress it up. Every team has high penalty games. Statistically there is a huge difference.
          not trying to dress it up but there is no ave of 20 min per game, yes there were 5 games and 2 of those (Middlebury and Morrisville) that account for 90 minutes, you want to make it look like CSC nothing but goons yet in 16 of the 17 they had less than their opponent. You can distort the facts with these figures but they need to be taken in perspective. I'm sure in your mind it is CSC's fault that Norwich had 35 minutes in penalties in 2 games, you can dress it up all you want but that is an average of 17.5 minutes a game

Comment

The difference is statistically significant. Don't try to dress it up. Every team has high penalty games. It is telling that teams that normally don't take a lot of penalties end up with more penalties than usual when they play Castleton. The second NU game is a good example Norwich took almost three times as many penalty minutes above their average.
            This is typical of what goes on those bad boys at CSC are the ones that caused us to take these penalties....so Morrisville 16/72 min vs CSC 12/35, Johnson and Wales 16/59 vs 8/16 ???
            You can lay blame all you want but take responsibility for what your teams do and quit blaming CSC...CSC 14 of the 27 games took 7 or less penalties....keep looking for that boogy man but the young men at CSC are good guys and for you to insist that they have responsibilty for what the other teams do against them is nuts

Comment

This is typical of what goes on those bad boys at CSC are the ones that caused us to take these penalties....so Morrisville 16/72 min vs CSC 12/35, Johnson and Wales 16/59 vs 8/16 ???
              You can lay blame all you want but take responsibility for what your teams do and quit blaming CSC...CSC 14 of the 27 games took 7 or less penalties....keep looking for that boogy man but the young men at CSC are good guys and for you to insist that they have responsibilty for what the other teams do against them is nuts
              Another reason to hate the 80's.....
              LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

Dude, they take a lot of penalties. The proof is in the numbers. Taking away this game and that game doesn't work. "If Plattsburgh takes away two losses to Oswego they would be 22-5-1." Yeah, you can't do that. It is what it is. They somehow managed to be quite successful even though they take a lot of penalties. This has nothing to do with how good they are as people.

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                  Remy I'm not whining about the committee going by the numbers. I want to know why Elmira was still two last week and then all of a sudden this week they are 3. That's what I don't get. Especially when it cost the east a home game.

Dan, if the committee could go back and change the rankings why wouldn't they have done so so that Elmira would have hosted?
                  The committee needs a reason to change the rankings. They can't just go "well that's inconvenient to what we're trying to do, can we switch that up?"

Comment

Originally posted by sticksnstones View Post
                    Dude, they take a lot of penalties. The proof is in the numbers. Taking away this game and that game doesn't work. "If Plattsburgh takes away two losses to Oswego they would be 22-5-1." Yeah, you can't do that. It is what it is. They somehow managed to be quite successful even though they take a lot of penalties. This has nothing to do with how good they are as people.
                    To characterize them as having a pattern of almost 20 min in penalties for 27 games is wrong...a pattern is a practice or someting that is done more often than not, so to have 16 games of less pen/min than opposition and 11 games of equal or more does not a pattern show. Yup they take too many penalties for me too but not the worst team by statistic in the country by a long shot....to use the defense"he hit me first" to support why other teams take penalties when playing CSC is just a way to justify someones theory. so just trying to be fair, to compair losses to penalty minutes is not a fair analogy...if a team had 40% of their penalty minutes in 6 games I feel to be fair that needs to be included...we can agree to disagree..majority of games apprx 15 min in penalties and yes that is too much also, did the bullys make the other teams take more penalties than normal ? don't think so, may be just a more intense rivalry but pattern no way

Comment

If Saturday doesn't come soon, the whining here will become deafening. On CSC men's hockey, I don't know whether the players are good guys or not. They most likely are. I do believe that they are playing the game the way their coach wants them to play. If the coach did not want them averaging almost a full period worth of penalties a game, he'd make sure that didn't see the ice very much. Look at the bottom (least penalized) teams in the penalty minute standings, Plattsburgh and Norwich. These players are not choirboys who don't want to hit anyone. They are playing the game the way their coaches want them to play.

Obviously, overriding all of this is my concern for player safety. Hits to the head have no place in hockey at any level. CSC has used athletics as a way to build their enrollment. This is a growth strategy that seems to be working. David Wolk should keep in mind, however, that on-ice behavior that may win a hockey game can also result in serious brain injuries to opposing (or his own) athletes. Hockey is a rough game but the kind of play that results in blatant hits to the head is not in his college's best interest or part of anyone's growth plan. We all worry about the player's safety. D3 hockey is not about making it to the NHL. It's about playing the game you love for your school, and your teammates. Play hard. Play to win. But don't play to end someone's playing career or worse.

Comment

Originally posted by puxrex View Post
                        If Saturday doesn't come soon, the whining here will become deafening. On CSC men's hockey, I don't know whether the players are good guys or not. They most likely are. I do believe that they are playing the game the way their coach wants them to play. If the coach did not want them averaging almost a full period worth of penalties a game, he'd make sure that didn't see the ice very much. Look at the bottom (least penalized) teams in the penalty minute standings, Plattsburgh and Norwich. These players are not choirboys who don't want to hit anyone. They are playing the game the way their coaches want them to play.

Obviously, overriding all of this is my concern for player safety. Hits to the head have no place in hockey at any level. CSC has used athletics as a way to build their enrollment. This is a growth strategy that seems to be working. David Wolk should keep in mind, however, that on-ice behavior that may win a hockey game can also result in serious brain injuries to opposing (or his own) athletes. Hockey is a rough game but the kind of play that results in blatant hits to the head is not in his college's best interest or part of anyone's growth plan. We all worry about the player's safety. D3 hockey is not about making it to the NHL. It's about playing the game you love for your school, and your teammates. Play hard. Play to win. But don't play to end someone's playing career or worse.
                        Again you make it sound like they have this contact to the head penalty on a game by game basis, when in fact they were called for that 3 times in 27 games and had called on teams they played 2 times....those kids don't go out there to "end someones playing careers" or with the intent of a "blatant "hit.....yes should it be zero hits to the head yes. as for CSC's I would say the one at Middlebury was blatant and the young man was benched the next game

Comment

I have listen to this whine about CSC for 2 days now.YES THEY AVEAGE 20 MINUTES IN PENALTYS PER GAME.but look back to Union 2000-2001 stat year,The senior year for Alex Todd under Coach Kevin Shetton of UVM, Average penalty minutes 18.6. Teach what you are taught.

Comment

My Mistake Coach Kevin Sneddon

Comment

Originally posted by NU 10 View Post
                              I have listen to this whine about CSC for 2 days now.YES THEY AVEAGE 20 MINUTES IN PENALTYS PER GAME.but look back to Union 2000-2001 stat year,The senior year for Alex Todd under Coach Kevin Shetton of UVM, Average penalty minutes 18.6. Teach what you are taught.
                              No one is whinning here I am just tired of the Characterization of CSC hockey team as thugs and guys that want to end careers etc..noone on here wants to take the stats into perspective and just blanket it as 20 min per game and hits to the head ...... well if a team plays 10 games, wins 4 of the 10-0 each game and loses the other 6 games 1-0 you could say the averaged 4goals a game but that does not tell the whole story....so 40% of CSC penalty minutes in 6 games needs to be put in the proper perspective as did the 3 contact to the head penalties

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                                Remy I'm not whining about the committee going by the numbers. I want to know why Elmira was still two last week and then all of a sudden this week they are 3. That's what I don't get. Especially when it cost the east a home game.

Dan, if the committee could go back and change the rankings why wouldn't they have done so so that Elmira would have hosted?
                                With a committee of 2 east and 2 west, it's probably hard to switch the rankings, but not impossible. In other sports, you have eight regions represented by one. Much easier to override that way. My other question would be to wonder what the ECAC West rep on the East call though of Elmira falling a spot?

Comment

Working...
                                X