Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Post all your cries whines, objections, complaints here

Originally posted by dmac1103 View Post
    Nope the games played were all mentioned in the Blog last night when they were discussing if Wisconsin-Superior would make it in; the rest of the stats came straight from the NCAA. USCHO has their own rankings that the NCAA doesn't use the NCAA use the regional rankings. When you go the regional rankings there is a link for East and West which is where I got my information. Sorry to disappoint you
    this does not say what teams were ranked and when they were ranked,,,,,having only 24 teams in the west there is a stronger chance of a team being ranked 1 time and then being able to count that when you play teams 3 times a year in league play as opposed to the east where there are 47 teams....I was not on here last night but the simple question wasa who was ranked and when were they ranked

Comment

Just a simple observation about all the consternation created be the UWS selection. I have
      not observed any defenders of the said culprit. They are just sitting back and smiling knowing they have been given a large gift . The NCAA committee like justice
      is sometimes blind to what's happening. UWS should start a post your thank you thread

Comment

Look while I feel for Castleton they had a chance to take care of things and didn't do that, still with 4 losses and a 5-2 record against "ranked teams" think they deserved a shot, I know I know...SOS...unfortunately with the interlock they had to play ECAC and Nescac and don't have the schedule of playing 6 teams 18 times and if the happened to get ranked 1 time then wow does that help against ranked teams or what?

Comment

Originally posted by 1985 View Post
          this does not say what teams were ranked and when they were ranked,,,,,having only 24 teams in the west there is a stronger chance of a team being ranked 1 time and then being able to count that when you play teams 3 times a year in league play as opposed to the east where there are 47 teams....I was not on here last night but the simple question wasa who was ranked and when were they ranked
          The west only gets to rank 7 teams. The east gets to rank 15.

So no, having 24 teams doesn't make it more likely that someone will randomly get ranked. Especially since they use the NCAA criteria to rank those teams, so only the top 7 teams in the region get ranked. Same as the east (except they get slightly more than 2x the ranked teams as they have slightly more than 2x the teams)

Comment

Yes I understand you have a better chance in the west but like I said that is 1 thing they look at. The other numbers I listed were the WL Pct in-region, Opp Avg Win Percentage (Region), Opp Opp Avg Win Perc (Region), In-Region SOS (Weighted OWP-OOWP) & In-region results vs. ranked teams are listed by the NCAA and using that also Wisconsin-Superior beats Castleton 3 out of 5 so they are in. Look at every NCAA sport SOS means everything and like you said there are 47 teams in the east so Castleton has a better chance to add to thier SOS the Superior. Try for instance to get into a tournament like when they were in the Cardinal Classic or try to add a game from against Oswego or Elmira or maybe add one those teams from out west to thier tournament. The plain and simple solution is to either have a VERY strong SOS or win your conference or both.

Comment

Approximately 1/3 of the teams in each region, in each DIII sport are ranked.
              2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
              2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
              2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
              2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

I have no problems with the brackets. What Superior's inclusion means to me is that the committee felt it was more appropriate to leave Castleton out rather than grant Hamline a bye to the quarters .

I actually thought Utica had a better profile than Castleton. But yeah, you simply can't go 0-4 against Neumann...

Comment

Look while I feel for Castleton they had a chance to take care of things and didn't do that, still with 4 losses and a 5-2 record against "ranked teams" think they deserved a shot, I know I know...SOS...unfortunately with the interlock they had to play ECAC and Nescac and don't have the schedule of playing 6 teams 18 times and if the happened to get ranked 1 time then wow does that help against ranked teams or what?
                  Castleton did control their out of conference games against the likes of Becker, Morrisville, Brockport, and Johnson & Wales though. Play some tougher teams and not only does that change your record against ranked teams, it also raises your strength of schedule. But you risk lowering your win %. The NCAA has consistently shown they like putting in teams that can do well against NCAA-caliber teams, not those that just beat up on lower level teams.

Comment

Since someone else brought it up......is the problem Neumann or 0-4 against anybody? Where is the "if you are swept in a 3 or 4 game series you are disqualified" rule? I am not saying (or whining) that that team should be in the tournament, but the "0-4 so you are done" statement keeps coming up. Is the fact that one team is winless against another really considered in the selection process? The team in question lost to just 3 teams this year (yes, for a total of 8 losses), all three are tournament teams.
                    2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
                    2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                    2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
                    2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                    2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
                    2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
                    2009 D-III TOP runner-up
                    Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
                    1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

Originally posted by UCBadger View Post
                      Since someone else brought it up......is the problem Neumann or 0-4 against anybody? Where is the "if you are swept in a 3 or 4 game series you are disqualified" rule? I am not saying (or whining) that that team should be in the tournament, but the "0-4 so you are done" statement keeps coming up. Is the fact that one team is winless against another really considered in the selection process? The team in question lost to just 3 teams this year (yes, for a total of 8 losses), all three are tournament teams.
                      If you want to be in contention for a national title, you have to be able to take at least one game from good teams when you have four chances at them. If you can't, then it's clear that the other team is better than you. At that point you don't deserve a shot at the title.

Even Superior took one from SNC in four chances...

Comment

Originally posted by altazo View Post
                        I have no problems with the brackets. What Superior's inclusion means to me is that the committee felt it was more appropriate to leave Castleton out rather than grant Hamline a bye to the quarters .
                        Not really. They don't even look at putting together the bracket until after the 11 teams are selected.
                        Russell Jaslow
                        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by UCBadger View Post
                          I don't think anybody is implying it's a hard fast rule. It's just that when the committee looks at the numbers and does the head-to-head comparison, and sees 0-4, well, that is going to carry a lot of weight, positive or negative, depending on which team they are considering.

Remember the days of the criteria where each win head-to-head meant one point? With that criteria, Utica definitely would have never stood a chance.
                          Russell Jaslow
                          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

This thread should have been named "PMS Monday"! Lmao

Comment

[QUOTE=one_to7;5069016]Castleton did control their out of conference games against the likes of Becker, Morrisville, Brockport, and Johnson & Wales though. Play some tougher teams and not only does that change your record against ranked teams, it also raises your strength of schedule. But you risk lowering your win %. The NCAA has consistently shown they like putting in teams that can do well against NCAA-caliber teams, not those that just beat up on lower level teams.[/QUOTE

I don't believe Castleton chose their out of conf foes to bolster their win pct and as for the rest of the schedule it is the same as Norwich....but from what you are saying then even thou you do beat the teams you should beat you are better off losing 8 games to ranked teams showing you can't beat them and that carries more weight...Castleton was still 5-2 against ranked teams...hopefully Todd will make the adjustment for next year as I do believe Castleton will be very competitive again losing only 2 seniors

Comment

Originally posted by altazo View Post
                                Even Superior took one from SNC in four chances...
                                And lost to 9! different (I think) teams. Again, I am trying to make this the thing I learn about today..........If one team lost to, say SNC, 4 times and won all their other games, would they still have the fork stuck in them? (That's what it seems you said.) Or what if the team in question had split with Oswego and Elmira, but still lost 4 to Neumann, you would predict that they not be a considered team? And....is this based on rules, based on your experience with the selection process, or your opinion? Can Mr. Jaslow help out here?

Edit: Thanks, Russell...your post while I was (slowly) writing this really helped.
                                Last edited by UCBadger; 03-07-2011, 09:20 PM.
                                2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
                                2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                                2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
                                2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                                2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
                                2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
                                2009 D-III TOP runner-up
                                Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
                                1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

Working...
                                X