Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Post all your cries whines, objections, complaints here

Originally posted by 3rdLiner View Post
    The West Region should be embarrassed to send a 12 loss team to the tournament. They have had some very good teams in the past that may have gotten screwed the same way that Salem, Castleton, and Utica are getting screwed this year. However if you want credibility you do not want to send a 12 loss team to represent your region. That makes the tournament less interesting and is a slight to the other teams in the tournament and to NCAA D-III hockey as a whole. It is not a perfect system but a little effort on the committees behalf would have saved face for all of the teams.
    Good to see a wizard is mingling among the peasantfolk today. I won't bother asking to know how you know so much about teams youve never seen and selection systems you clearly don't understand, but how about this:

I'll put Superior up against anyone you got. Game time, one hour. See you there.

Comment

The West Region should be embarrassed to send a 12 loss team to the tournament.
      The East should be embarrassed not to be able to have anyone else beat out a 12 loss team.

Comment

The West Region should be embarrassed to send a 12 loss team to the tournament. They have had some very good teams in the past that may have gotten screwed the same way that Salem, Castleton, and Utica are getting screwed this year. However if you want credibility you do not want to send a 12 loss team to represent your region. That makes the tournament less interesting and is a slight to the other teams in the tournament and to NCAA D-III hockey as a whole. It is not a perfect system but a little effort on the committees behalf would have saved face for all of the teams.
        The committee did do exactly that, which is something that many of us did not do at the outset of the process.
        Look at the data - Here are the two teams ranks on WP, OWP, and OOWP
        Castleton 4th 54th 44th

UWS 29th 6th 17th

In addition if we look at winning percentage of team that they beat, Castleton ranks 30th, UWS ranks 18th

UWS succeeded against a better class of teams than Castleton did. Castleton had one huge win against Norwich, beyond that not so much. The committee made the right call.
        2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
        2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
        2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
        2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Castleton 27 games played 7 against ranked Opponents & Wisconsin-Superior 29 games played 17 against ranked Opponents that is what is going to stand out in the NCAA committee when they start to match up the numbers. That also includes a win against the topped rank team in their region, if memory serves correctly when the Adrian fans a few years ago were up in arms about having only 1 loss on their record and did not make the tournament people threw SOS right in their face. Well the same rules apply here according to the NCAA website In-Region SOS (Weighted OWP-OOWP) Castleton .483 & Superior .541 Opp Avg Win Percentage (Region) Castleton .477 & Superior .547 Opp Opp Avg Win Perc (Region) Castleton .495 & Superior .530.

Comment

Originally posted by dmac1103 View Post
            Castleton 27 games played 7 against ranked Opponents & Wisconsin-Superior 29 games played 17 against ranked Opponents that is what is going to stand out in the NCAA committee when they start to match up the numbers. That also includes a win against the topped rank team in their region, if memory serves correctly when the Adrian fans a few years ago were up in arms about having only 1 loss on their record and did not make the tournament people threw SOS right in their face. Well the same rules apply here according to the NCAA website In-Region SOS (Weighted OWP-OOWP) Castleton .483 & Superior .541 Opp Avg Win Percentage (Region) Castleton .477 & Superior .547 Opp Opp Avg Win Perc (Region) Castleton .495 & Superior .530.
            +1 well said
            The "Miracle" was winning the Gold Medal Game against the Finns. I'm biased, I was there.

Comment

Sorry I haven't been following this thread and if I repeat anything give me a break, but if you ask me, Castleton, Salem and whatever other "new" schools feel like they got the shaft, welcome to the club! I look at it as more of an initiation.... your first real competitive year where you made a splash in the uscho coaches poll a la Neumann 2006 and you got screwed in the end because you're the new kid on the block. Plain and simple, no respect for you and your programs....yet! Probably viewed as a "fluke" year by most (committee included). Do it again, and then you'll have the attention and respect you deserve. Beef up your out of conference (a little), have another solid season and I don't doubt you'll earn a ticket.

Better luck next year!

Comment

Also, having a good SOS is great but shouldn't you win a few more of those games? Otherwise it just proves that you are not a legit contender? I know Castleton did not play the best teams, however all of the bad teams they played they beat pretty easily. At least with Castleton in the mix you have a wild card that may win, I just don't see UWS having a very good shot.
                Castleton is undefeated on the road this year, including wins at Midd, Williams, Norwich, NEC, Hamilton, Amherst
                They had the 2nd best offense in the country, 2nd best PP, 2nd best winning percentage, goaltending in the top 10, leading scorer in the country, they can compete with anyone. I think UWS did not show that during the course of the year.
                Your team has all that and didnt even make it to their conf. tourney final? At least UWS made it that far. Like NUprof says, get your conference AQ and theres nothing to worry about.

Comment

I'm not going to feed the cry babies out there whining over statistics and power rankings. I'll offer my .02 cents on seeing UW-Superior play three times this season.

UW-Soup is a good choice for the bid. They are a fast team and have a healthy amount of contributors. No specific player or line stands out on the stat sheet. Very balanced scoring. When UW-Soup is clicking they're nearly as dangerous as St. Norbert. However, when their off, their off. They have been a rollercoaster club this season. I think the jackets were the right pick for a western team.

Now whether their more deserving then say Castleton, that's another thought entirely.

Edit: UW-Soup's situation is very similar to that of UW-Stout a few years back. We lost to SNC in OT for the Peter's Cup and we ended up with a bid that season.
                  Last edited by BlueDevilRadio; 03-07-2011, 03:09 PM.
                  WATCH Stout Blue Devil Hockey Live!

Stout Student Section: Devils' Advocates

NCHA Peters Cup Playoff Champions: 08-09
                  NCHA Regular Season Championships: 06-08 (Shared)
                  WIAC Championships: 10-11
                  NCHA Runner-Up: 07-08
                  NCAA National Tourney Appearances: 07-08, 08-09

Webmaster & Tech Guru - www.stouthockey.com - DIII Hockey's most popular fan site.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueDevilRadio View Post
                    Edit: UW-Soup's situation is very similar to that of UW-Stout a few years back. We lost to SNC in OT for the Peter's Cup and we ended up with a bid that season.
                    Did you have 12 losses that year?
                    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                    GO LAKERS!!!
                    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                    Oswego State '09

Comment

• Re: Post all your cries whines, objections, complaints here

Originally posted by AldenPartridge1819 View Post
                      Understood, but I can't help but look at this through the eyes of some of the players. Imagine being a Castleton player having to deal with a 12-loss UWS team getting in over them? I understand the process, but it's still hard.

I'll also ask again, is 12 losses the most ever by a Pool-C team?
                      Imagine Castleton dealing with losing to a 13 loss team in the semi finals of their conference tournament....trust me, losing in the semis is worse than losing in the finals, especially when you are heavily favored. Castleton will be in the NCAA's in time and I predict next year...

Comment

Hmmmm..... I am searching for your comments dating back to the 2008 & 2009 season when Adrian's BullDogs were putting up 26 & 27 wins each season. I can't seem to find the points you were making in support of Adrian being provided with a ticket to the dance when they had records like they did....on the other hand the moment a team like Casleton or Salem in the East gets over-looked, your asking for a "judicial inquiry" to right that wrong. Be careful which side of the mouth your are preaching from.

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                          Did you have 12 losses that year?
                          9 losses
                          WATCH Stout Blue Devil Hockey Live!

Stout Student Section: Devils' Advocates

NCHA Peters Cup Playoff Champions: 08-09
                          NCHA Regular Season Championships: 06-08 (Shared)
                          WIAC Championships: 10-11
                          NCHA Runner-Up: 07-08
                          NCAA National Tourney Appearances: 07-08, 08-09

Webmaster & Tech Guru - www.stouthockey.com - DIII Hockey's most popular fan site.

Comment

Judging from the lack of whines (not zero, but far fewer than usual) I think it is fair to say that the committee did a good job, and lots of people seem to understand the process better than in the past.
                            2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                            2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                            2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                            2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                              Judging from the lack of whines (not zero, but far fewer than usual) I think it is fair to say that the committee did a good job, and lots of people seem to understand the process better than in the past.
                              Potsdam got ripped!

They tied Neumann. Tied Neumann! We all know Utica should have gotten in when they went 0-4 against Neumann. Potsdam tied Neumann, so how do they not get in?!?! That's better than 0-4 against Neumann.

Plus, Potsdam played a game ... well, okay, two periods ... in a Division I rink (Clarkson). How does that not get you in?

How many years does it take for Potsdam to beat national playoff selected teams and not get recognized?

Freaking ridiculous!
                              Russell Jaslow
                              [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                              U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Somedays you just have to love Mr. Jaslow.

+3
                                2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
                                2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                                2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
                                2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                                2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
                                2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
                                2009 D-III TOP runner-up
                                Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
                                1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

Working...
                                X