Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which is the bigger conference title-RS or tournament?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Which is the bigger conference title-RS or tournament?

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    The regular season is nice, but it isn't necessarily a ticket to the big dance and a chance at the national championship (unless you take it running away, then you'll likely get an at-large bid). The conference title, or tournament title, is your ticket to the big dance.
    So the regular season title (OR CONFERENCE TITLE, in other words) is nice but won't necessarily get you to the big dance, but the CONFERENCE TITLE or tournament title will?

Excuse me while I hit myself over the head with the McNaughton Cup while I try and forget the stupidity of your post.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

McNaughton>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>BroAdmoor
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Just ask UNH fans....they consistently win the RS and fall flat in the tournaments....

Comment

Originally posted by beach327 View Post
          Just ask UNH fans....they consistently win the RS and fall flat in the tournaments....
          yawn..........

Comment

The regular season title gets you the top seed to play for the championship. The tournament title is the championship. Nobody cares who wins the President's Trophy in the NHL, nobody cares who has the best regular season record in the NFL or the NBA or MLB, or NCAA basketball or NCAA football, or in minor league hockey, or in any other North American sports league that has a postseason tournament. NCAA hockey (and, really, mainly just the WCHA) is, like, the only place where people claim that the best regular season record is more important. I think subconsciously it's just because of how ridiculously oversized the MacNaughton Cup is.
            Cornell University Men's Hockey
            NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
            Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
              The regular season title gets you the top seed to play for the championship. The tournament title is the championship. Nobody cares who wins the President's Trophy in the NHL, nobody cares who has the best regular season record in the NFL or the NBA or MLB, or NCAA basketball or NCAA football, or in minor league hockey, or in any other North American sports league that has a postseason tournament. NCAA hockey (and, really, mainly just the WCHA) is, like, the only place where people claim that the best regular season record is more important. I think subconsciously it's just because of how ridiculously oversized the MacNaughton Cup is.
              “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
              Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
              Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
              National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

Officially, the WCHA title is awarded to the regular season champion. That just is, its not an opinion. The Conference Tournament is like if the NHL, between the regular season and the playoffs, held a mini set of playoffs within the divisions that gave the Islanders another chance, even though their terrible once again, and which the Rangers won because Lundqvist got hot. Whoop-de-doo.
                Last edited by HumRsky; 07-16-2010, 08:34 AM.
                SCSU Hockey: 2001 WCHA Playoff Champions, 2013 WCHA Champions & Frozen Four, 2014 NCHC Champions, 2016 NCHC Playoff Champions
                UMD Women: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2010
                Gopher Football: 1934, 1935, 1936, 1940, 1941, 1960
                Johnnie Football: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003
                UMD Football: 2008, 2010
                UMD Men: 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                  The New York Yankees won the 2004 American League Eastern Division Championship. I wonder if Yankee fans remember who won the World Series that year?
                  2004 is a year i just like to forget ever happened, thank you very much. As I recall, 2004 was the year Brown finished third after being in 1st for most of the year and falling out of the top 15 towards the end of the season, and then was swept at home by !!!!!!HARVARD!!!!!! in the quarterfinals. Then there was the ALCS debacle for the Yankees. The Giants finished a disgraceful 6-10. It was just a frustrating year. Let's not procure any bad memories, hmm?

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                    The New York Yankees won the 2004 American League Eastern Division Championship. I wonder if Yankee fans remember who won the World Series that year?

Regular Season crown means jack $hit.

well, since only UNH fans reasonably believe a regular season title is better than a national title, the better baseball analogy for that year is the AL pennant (not the world series); but since the same team won that your moot still stands

stop trying to make us cry, onion man
                    “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
                    Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
                    Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
                    National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

Originally posted by HumRsky View Post
                      Officially, the WCHA title is awarded to the regular season champion. That just is, its not an opinion. The Conference Tournament is like if the NHL, between the regular season and the playoffs, held a mini set of playoffs within the divisions that gave the Islanders another chance, even though their terrible once again, and which the Rangers won because Lundqvist got hot. Whoop-de-doo.
                      Exactly. I do enjoy linking this debate to professional sports because professional sports leagues don't even bother with a "Conference Tournament" like the NCAA has. They have the Regular Season and then go straight to the Elimination games/series.

To crown a conference champion based on a handful of games doesn't make a whole lot of sense, at least IMO.
                      North Dakota
                      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

It's somewhat sobering to realize that my alma mater (RPI) has not won its league's regular season championship since 1985.

We have been pointing, for a very long time, toward the conference playoffs as the only chance to make the NCAA tournament. Under the circumstances, it's pretty hard to view the regular season as being bigger than the playoffs.

Comment

While I think sometimes the regular season title proves a little more, the tournament title has to be bigger because its the one that assures entry to the really big tournament. You need only to be hot at the correct time and win 4 of perhaps 5 games against just 3 teams to win in the tournament, while winning in the regular season means beating many more teams over the course of 24-28 games.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
                            While I think sometimes the regular season title proves a little more, the tournament title has to be bigger because its the one that assures entry to the really big tournament. You need only to be hot at the correct time and win 4 of perhaps 5 games against just 3 teams to win in the tournament, while winning in the regular season means beating many more teams over the course of 24-28 games.
                            If you win your conference, I'd venture to guess that you're going to the tourney already.
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

47 dips so far.

Comment

Depends on the conference.

WCHA -reg
                                HE - reg
                                CCHA -reg
                                ECAC - flip a coin
                                Atlantic - tournament
                                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Working...
                                X