Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which is the bigger conference title-RS or tournament?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Which is the bigger conference title-RS or tournament?

An interesting thing I've noted from this, is that despite the fact the WCHA clearly values the regular season title the most of any conference, and the vast majority of WCHA fans that have voted so far have chosen the MacNaughten over the Broadmoor (and I don't see any North Dakota fans on the least, you know they value the MacNaughten more than the Nat'l title ), the attendance at our conference tournament is significantly higher than any other conference even when Minnesota isn't there.

From a thread back in March:
    Speaking of empty seats, it looks to me like Friday attendance at the WCHA Final Five was equal or better than the other tournaments combined, again.

WCHA 27,300 (13 in the afternoon and 14 in the evening)

CCHA: 9,800 (single ticket)
    HEA: 12,500 (single ticket)
    AHA: 1,800 (single ticket)
    ECACHL: not published - a bad sign in itself.
    Total: 24,100 plus ECACHL.
    SCSU Hockey: 2001 WCHA Playoff Champions, 2013 WCHA Champions & Frozen Four, 2014 NCHC Champions, 2016 NCHC Playoff Champions
    UMD Women: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2010
    Gopher Football: 1934, 1935, 1936, 1940, 1941, 1960
    Johnnie Football: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003
    UMD Football: 2008, 2010
    UMD Men: 2011

Comment

Originally posted by HumRsky View Post
      An interesting thing I've noted from this, is that despite the fact the WCHA clearly values the regular season title the most of any conference, and the vast majority of WCHA fans that have voted so far have chosen the MacNaughten over the Broadmoor (and I don't see any North Dakota fans on the least, you know they value the MacNaughten more than the Nat'l title ), the attendance at our conference tournament is significantly higher than any other conference even when Minnesota isn't there.

From a thread back in March:
      Speaking of empty seats, it looks to me like Friday attendance at the WCHA Final Five was equal or better than the other tournaments combined, again.

WCHA 27,300 (13 in the afternoon and 14 in the evening)

CCHA: 9,800 (single ticket)
      HEA: 12,500 (single ticket)
      AHA: 1,800 (single ticket)
      ECACHL: not published - a bad sign in itself.
      Total: 24,100 plus ECACHL.
      Before I continue, I will repeat the regular season title is more important. However, the conference tourney is more fun.

That's because MN does hockey right. Look at the converts we've started getting.

GLM flew in from NY. NEW. YORK. On a recommendation. And he didn't wanna go back. 'diva was in the same boat, skipping her own team's conference tourney for the F5.

GLM's review of the F5, for those that don't know about, or don't follow his blog:

http://grossmisconducthockey.com/201...ate-of-hockey/
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyenthusiast View Post
        Colgate/Dartmouth in '05-'06 or to make it a single reg season champion...'Gate in '03-'04
        Exactly. It's been 5 years. And the ECAC has improved since then to the point where a RS winner would probably never be left out of the tournament, barring an odd year. In the ECAC, the RS actually doesn't matter. All 12 teams make the playoffs, and, if you go on a hot streak like 11-seeded Brown did this year, you can make it to the Final Four and win the 3rd-place game. Sure, it sucks that we had to play on the road for 8 straight games, but it's still possible to pull it off. Thus, the Regular Season is largely irrelevant in our league, unless you compile an exceptional record and then crash out early in the league playoffs (like Yale this year).

Comment

Conference tournament is what matters. The tournament is where the pressure and intensity is cranked up to the max.
          The regular season is nothing more than a warmup for the tournament.
          A Badger living in Buckeye country.
          Originally posted by MadCityRich
          He blossomed after he left the U, and they still named a city in Minnesota after him?
          Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
          Sieve, Minnesota? Never heard of it.
          Originally posted by Timothy A
          I know my distain of anything and everything related to IL or MN is totally insane, but that's me; you can't change the genetics.
          "The state of North Dakota may not exist. It's like South Dakota's Canadian girlfriend." -- Stephen Colbert

Comment

The New York Yankees won the 2004 American League Eastern Division Championship. I wonder if Yankee fans remember who won the World Series that year?

Regular Season crown means jack $hit.
            Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
              The New York Yankees won the 2004 American League Eastern Division Championship. I wonder if Yankee fans remember who won the World Series that year?

Regular Season crown means jack $hit.
              They call the playoffs a new season. Any team can win with that small a sample size (a couple games, compared to a whole season).

Anyway, to compare baseball (or any other pro sport, for that matter), who doesn't have a conference tourney before the "real" tourney, is ludicrous at best.

If you want to compare, then look at college bouncyball/football/(baseball? Dunno too much about that) with similar structures of reg season then conf tourney then national tourney.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                They call the playoffs a new season. Any team can win with that small a sample size (a couple games, compared to a whole season).

Anyway, to compare baseball (or any other pro sport, for that matter), who doesn't have a conference tourney before the "real" tourney, is ludicrous at best.

If you want to compare, then look at college bouncyball/football/(baseball? Dunno too much about that) with similar structures of reg season then conf tourney then national tourney.
                Agreed, the World Series and the Nat'l Title are the comparables. The Conference tournament is like if their were "divisional" playoffs involving all of the teams in baseball before the real playoffs start, and no matter what the Royals did in the regular season, they would still have a shot at the playoffs every year.

Also, in the WCHA, correct me if I'm wrong, but until 1982 the winner of the WCHA playoffs was not the WCHA "playoff champion," they just won a spot in the NCAA tournament, and usually between the start of the tournament in 1960 and the start of the "modern" WCHA tournament in 1982, there were two "winners" of the WCHA playoffs. I know Minnesota does not hang banners for the eight times they were the WCHA tournament winners before 1982. I don't think Michigan Tech does either, and as mentioned before, North Dakota does not hang banners for any of their WCHA playoff titles. THE WCHA Champion (officially, according to the league) always has been and still is the Regular Season (MacNaughten Cup) Champion.
                SCSU Hockey: 2001 WCHA Playoff Champions, 2013 WCHA Champions & Frozen Four, 2014 NCHC Champions, 2016 NCHC Playoff Champions

Comment

Winning the conference tourney is not a "championship". Why you would hang a banner for it is beyond me. Of course teams hang banners for winning a holiday tourney too, and most of those take at most two wins in two days. Heck why not hang a banner every time you sweep a series.

Winning the conference tourney only proves that you got hot for three weeks and it's a back door for a poor team to pull a couple upsets, make the 16 team NCAA field and bump a more deserving team that was a consistant winner over the regular season. And yes, this is being posted by someone who supports a team whose only shot to make the NCAAs over the last decade would have been to win the conference tourney.

Even the LA Clippers get hot win a few games in a row once in a while, but no one is awarding them with a spot in the NBA playoffs because of it. On the other hand, my logic would suggest that the NCAA champion would be based on the regular season as well, rather than just winning four games. But since teams only play a few games out of conference each season the NCAA tourney is the only real chance that "the best" teams (that's always debatable) get a chance to face each other regardless of their conference.

Just saying...
                  Ryan J
                  Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                  https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                  Originally posted by geezer
                  Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                  Originally posted by manurespreader
                  ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
                    Agreed, but when was the last time a RS first-place finisher did not make the NCAAs? Maybe in the AHA or CHA, but it probably doesn't happen often.
                    I believe that ended after #1 Colorado College was upset by #10 Michigan Tech during the 1993-94 conference first round best-of-three playoffs. CC lost the series 2-1 and then got snubbed by the NCAA selection committee for the field that year (which was only 12 teams at the time). Autobids for the regular season conference winner were instituted one or two seasons later.

Ryan J
                    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                    Originally posted by geezer
                    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                    Originally posted by manurespreader
                    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

You may know this already JJ, and I'm on your side in the argument, but the regular season autobid no longer exists. Due to the wording of your post I just couldn't tell if you thought it was still around.

Comment

I see a lot of people talking about how the conference tournament is a big sign of NCAA success. I guess I didn't realize that was part of the question before I answered.

I look at it this way: You win the regular season championship, and the conference tournament, then lose in the semis and have nothing to show for the NCAA appearance. Which trophy are you going to be more proud of?

I pick regular season championship.
                        the state of hockey is good

Comment

Picked conference tournament - since that is the practically the ONLY way Atlantic Teams like RIT can make the NCAA tournament.
                          2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                          2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                          2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                          2010 Frozen Four participant
                          2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

this is essentially polling unh fans on uscho vs fans of everyone else.
                            Arenas Attended
                            Matthews Arena
                            Agganis Arena
                            Tsongas Arena
                            Lawler Arena
                            Schneider Arena
                            Mullins Center
                            TD Banknorth Garden
                            Conte Forum
                            Whittemore Center
                            Gutterson Fieldhouse
                            Alfond Arena
                            Compton Family Ice Arena

Comment

Look at what the Sioux did last season...they were fighting for a #5 seed for first round in the WCHA tourney, then they win the knock-out games and take home the conference tourney trophy. They were the hot team at that time. Regular season is much bigger, IMO. It's harder to obtain (I'm not downplaying winning a number of games in a row though at all).
                              THE University of North Dakota FIGHTING SIOUX

National Championships:
                              1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000

WCHA Regular Season Championships:
                              1958, 1963, 1965, 1967, 1979, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2004, 2009, 2011

Fan of:
                              University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux Hockey
                              University of Oregon Ducks Football
                              San Francisco Giants
                              Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

The regular season is nice, but it isn't necessarily a ticket to the big dance and a chance at the national championship (unless you take it running away, then you'll likely get an at-large bid). The conference title, or tournament title, is your ticket to the big dance.

Comment

Working...
                                X