Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MN @ WI: Cheese And Paint Thinner And Dead Deer, Oh My!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slap Shot
    replied
    Re: MN @ WI: Cheese And Paint Thinner And Dead Deer, Oh My!

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    The question that you guys can't seem to answer though is why so many of your players have to go elsewhere to win titles? If it's so crucial to have Minnesota born players on a championship team, why is it that the teams that are made up of mostly Minnesota players don't do better?
    I typically shy away from these arguments because imho titles matter even though I love the Pride On Ice mentality. Yet most programs aren't made up of "mostly Minnesota players" so imho the question is a bit disengenuous. Also it would be true to say a fair number of MN kids contribute quite handsomely to non-MN Div I teams in any give year and obviously a good share make their way to the NHL year after year.

I won't slight UW for looking beyond their borders because the number of prospects in state just aren't there. However your colors, your team and your fans suck ballz.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

Yeah, well the Vikings still suck.
    I knew football would be brought up. Thank goodness I'm not a Vikings fan.

On topic: if MN keeps playing the way they are playing, I like our chances for a short burst of winning (*cough* F5 *cough*) and sneak into the NCAA tourney. Even if we simply win out the regular season, I don't think it's enough. I don't even know if placing 2nd in the F5 would be enough. I think we have to win the whole...f*in'...thing. (c) Lou Brown

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post

Wisconsin's 6 NCAA Titles mean nothing to people in Southeastern Wiscosnsin where the majority of the population is, that isn't even on the radar.
    This fact can be seen in the relatively few youth hockey programs that exist over there. Dane County alone has more clubs with more players than Milwaukee, Waukesha and Ozaukee Counties combined.

That's more programs with about 1/5 of the population.

Leave a comment:

• Bakunin
    replied

The BTN raised an interesting point tonight: when MN wins, they average over 4 goals per game, but when they lose, they average less than two. That's quite a spread and indicates just how inconsistent the Gophers have been this season.

They certainly seem to be stringing together some better efforts in the second half, at least.

Leave a comment:

• solovsfett
    replied

Originally posted by Happy View Post
    if the Badgers would have made any attempt at all to recruit local kids, like Minnesota did, you might have a little more talent pool to chose from. but, since you have always rather had someone from Canada over anyone local, why would a kid start to play hockey in Wisconsin to begin with. It's all a cycle where Minnesota probably gave up a championship or two to support local kids and the Olympics, and Wisconsin supported Canadians, and got a championship or two from it.
    the chicken and egg argument essentially. IF Wisconsin would recruit only Wisconsin-born kids there'd be more interest in playing hockey over football, soccer, baseball, basketball. I just don't believe that's true.

Wisconsin has always had home grown players, it's just that those players comprise 1/4 or 1/5 of the roster because there isn't enough top-end talent here.

"Badger" Bob Johnson did more to promote hockey in wisconsin than anyone ever has. what did it do for High School hockey in this state? nothing. And he was a minnesotan, he would have known the culture and how to grow it...

Wisconsin's 6 NCAA Titles mean nothing to people in Southeastern Wiscosnsin where the majority of the population is, that isn't even on the radar. not even close. for whatever reason people here don't care at all about hockey. and THAT is the main reason why Wisconsin doesn't produce more great hockey players. if the population centers around milwaukee and including the city got behind hockey like they do in the twin cities we'd have something...until or unless we achieve that point then we've got 1/4 or 1/5 of the output.

Even in 05-06 (and prior to that 89-90) the Milwaukee Journal barely covered the team until they felt obliged too because of the title games. 2 weeks before the frozen four in milwaukee in 06 no bars on water street even knew there was a frozen four coming and that Wisconsin could be in it.

anyway (and on a tangent) I'd still like to make it to up to mpls one year to see the HS final 8 or whatever it is, we all know that's the creme de la creme of hockey in america as an overall talent pool.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Originally posted by Happy View Post
    if the Badgers would have made any attempt at all to recruit local kids, like Minnesota did, you might have a little more talent pool to chose from. but, since you have always rather had someone from Canada over anyone local, why would a kid start to play hockey in Wisconsin to begin with. It's all a cycle where Minnesota probably gave up a championship or two to support local kids and the Olympics, and Wisconsin supported Canadians, and got a championship or two from it.
    C'mon. This just isn't a hockey state and recruiting Wisconsin kids wouldn't have changed that in the least.

You gotta have towns with rinks and many large towns still don't and many just got them in the past few years.

I give your community based hockey lots of credit. I wish it was like that here. But it's not although it's getting better.

The question that you guys can't seem to answer though is why so many of your players have to go elsewhere to win titles? If it's so crucial to have Minnesota born players on a championship team, why is it that the teams that are made up of mostly Minnesota players don't do better?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    5 D1 teams. HS tourney routinely outdraws some eastern college tournaments, the number of MN-born players in the pros/college/etc, quality of rinks, ratings for hockey games, and of course media coverage overall, etc etc etc.
    Yeah, well the Vikings still suck.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

5 D1 teams. HS tourney routinely outdraws some eastern college tournaments, the number of MN-born players in the pros/college/etc, quality of rinks, ratings for hockey games, and of course media coverage overall, etc etc etc.

Leave a comment:

• Happy
    replied

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
    I agree with you on that. As the numbers posted earlier attest in regard to numbers of D-1 players per state, etc., even today as a stand alone year, Wisconsin as a state is behind Minnesota by such a large margin it could take another 15-20 years to catch up. and that's just catching up to current output and quality, matching history would take what...60 years? maybe never?

but for the Badgers in particular...that's why UW recruits kids from CANADA, New York, California, Michigan, Illinois to help fill the gap so we can say 6>5

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

15-20? Loller.

Leave a comment:

• solovsfett
    replied

Ahem, the state of hockey refers to the sport as a whole. While you currently have more college titles, as a state our hockey history, and current state of hockey (ooo pun) dwarfs yours.

Next?
    I agree with you on that. As the numbers posted earlier attest in regard to numbers of D-1 players per state, etc., even today as a stand alone year, Wisconsin as a state is behind Minnesota by such a large margin it could take another 15-20 years to catch up. and that's just catching up to current output and quality, matching history would take what...60 years? maybe never?

but for the Badgers in particular...that's why UW recruits kids from CANADA, New York, California, Michigan, Illinois to help fill the gap so we can say 6>5

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

Originally posted by harleymc View Post
    hard to explain goody tonight...epic fail.
    BAZINGA!!!!e

Leave a comment:

• HarleyMC
    replied

Oh goody! Please explain!
    Hard to explain Goody tonight...epic fail.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

Ahem, the state of hockey refers to the sport as a whole. While you currently have more college titles, as a state our hockey history, and current state of hockey (ooo pun) dwarfs yours.

Next?
    Yeah, we were off saving the world at Lake Placid among other places.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Next?
    Oh goody! Please explain!

What else have you won?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X