X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Greatest Programs of All-Time: #1 - #58

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
    Thanks.

I wouldn't think they would sit at #45 for too long if Blais sticks around. They moved up three places this past season. If they have a similar type year next year, they would be prime for a push into the top 40. If they were to make the Frozen Four, they would probably jump into the low 30s. If they were to win it all, I would guess they would be somewhere in the top half, probably mid 20s.
    FS23, Based on where UNO finished on your list, how do you feel about their inclusion in the NCHC considering the next lowest NCHC team (Western Michigan) is #38 on the list? The rest of the new NCHC membership finished #2, #5, #13, #16, #22, and #32, rounding out the conference.

I raised the topic in another thread, but, the gist is this. How and why did we get keys to the city? Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled we are part of what is the going to be the best conference in college hockey but I have read comments by others that we aren't deserving or meritorious enough to be included in their little club. That is a hard one to refute in a tangible way (although UNO has a lot of significant intangibles I personally think played a large role in their inclusion) since we have only played hockey since '97 and certainly have little real hockey legacy as a direct result. At least what we do have isn't anything to be ashamed of.

And don't tell me that Dean Blais, all by himself, is the reason, either. The guy just turned 61 and while he recently publicly said that published press reports that he is retiring in three years are BS, he certainly isn't the long term future of the program, particularly since Mike Hastings has already been designated the "head coach in waiting".

Comments?

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
      FS23, Based on where UNO finished on your list, how do you feel about their inclusion in the NCHC considering the next lowest NCHC team (Western Michigan) is #38 on the list? The rest of the new NCHC membership finished #2, #5, #13, #16, #22, and #32, rounding out the conference.

I raised the topic in another thread, but, the gist is this. How and why did we get keys to the city? Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled we are part of what is the going to be the best conference in college hockey but I have read comments by others that we aren't deserving or meritorious enough to be included in their little club. That is a hard one to refute in a tangible way (although UNO has a lot of significant intangibles I personally think played a large role in their inclusion) since we have only played hockey since '97 and certainly have little real hockey legacy as a direct result. At least what we do have isn't anything to be ashamed of.

And don't tell me that Dean Blais, all by himself, is the reason, either. The guy just turned 61 and while he recently publicly said that published press reports that he is retiring in three years are BS, he certainly isn't the long term future of the program, particularly since Mike Hastings has already been designated the "head coach in waiting".

Comments?
      I think the membership invite had to do more with the fact that the size of UNO's program fit the categorical priorities of the league.
      UNO is a mid-sized school in a metro area of around 800,000
      They have a big arena by college hockey standards.
      UNO is soon to have all D1 Athletics. After nixing football and wrestling, Hockey will be the undisputed main attraction sport.
      These are things that the NCHC schools more or less have in common, and make them financially viable and marketable.

From a business standpoint, tradition and history doesn't matter a whole lot. From the way we've seen the NCHC formation saga play out, one could conjecture that it was purely business.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post

Comments?
        7&7 summed it up fairly well.

Omaha is a good sized city (top 5 or so of cities with a college hockey team in the city), they draw well, and Hockey will be the kingpin of their athletic department. Throw one of the greatest college hockey coaches of all-time in the mix, and Omaha was a slamdunk. While Omaha does not have the significant history that many of the others have, they have shown that commitment to hockey that I think the NCHC was looking for in members.

FWIW, I think the NCHC ****ed all over history and tradition when they formed the league, so I don't really think that played a part in who they were looking at as members.
        North Dakota
        National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

I haven't punched in all of the numbers just yet, but it looks like BC will make a nice leap up in the rankings based on their victory this evening.

Look for the updated rankings to come out probably sometime in the next week or so.
          North Dakota

Comment

I haven't punched in all of the numbers just yet, but it looks like BC will make a nice leap up in the rankings based on their victory this evening.

Look for the updated rankings to come out probably sometime in the next week or so.
            Thanks, look forward to it. I notice that there are some here with no sense of history or tradition beyond the tip of their own nose who also want you to update the "greatest coaches of all-time" thread as well.....
            "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Huh?

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                Thanks, look forward to it. I notice that there are some here with no sense of history or tradition beyond the tip of their own nose who also want you to update the "greatest coaches of all-time" thread as well.....
                I can do that as well...it will just take a little bit longer as I haven't put in any information yet this season. I'm also right at the end of the semester, so I have plenty going on. It might not happen until this summer.
                North Dakota

Comment

#50-#58 are in...

http://www.collegehockeyweekly.com/G...-Programs.html

The biggest thing to note here is that Union has jumped up (obviously) out from #51. As a result, UAH and Mankato each drop a spot.

Also, there were a group of people upset with where DU was in the list last year. It turns out they had a very strong argument. I had transposed a number that hurt DU a bit. I go through my list at the end of each season to make sure that all the numbers are correct, and when I did that this season I caught the mistake. As a result, DU's ranking has been somewhat significantly altered. Stay tuned for DU's exact placement on the list.
                  North Dakota

Comment

#50-#58 are in...

The biggest thing to note here is that Union has jumped up (obviously) out from #51. As a result, UAH and Mankato each drop a spot.

Also, there were a group of people upset with where DU was in the list last year. It turns out they had a very strong argument. I had transposed a number that hurt DU a bit. I go through my list at the end of each season to make sure that all the numbers are correct, and when I did that this season I caught the mistake. As a result, DU's ranking has been somewhat significantly altered. Stay tuned for DU's exact placement on the list.
                    Did Union end up #26?

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                      Did Union end up #26?
                      I guess we'll have to wait and see if #26 Union ends up at #26.
                      North Dakota

Comment

#40-#58 are in...

Union continues their move up the rankings. The other changes? Most teams not named Air Force ranked #42 or below dropped a spot, while Air Force moved up 2 spots to #40. Also, Anchorage made the biggest drop so far, going from #39 to #42, while Holy Cross dropped two spots from #41 to #43. Basically, Princeton made up ground on Anchorage, but fell behind Air Force and Union.
                        North Dakota

Comment

#40-#58 are in...http://www.collegehockeyweekly.com/G...-Programs.html
                          Union continues their move up the rankings. The other changes? Most teams not named Air Force ranked #42 or below dropped a spot, while Air Force moved up 2 spots to #40. Also, Anchorage made the biggest drop so far, going from #39 to #42, while Holy Cross dropped two spots from #41 to #43. Basically, Princeton made up ground on Anchorage, but fell behind Air Force and Union.
                          Glad you are adding info regarding up/down movement. Though I may prefer last years format with the added info. I mean just because the semester is ending HA

Comment

I can do that as well...it will just take a little bit longer as I haven't put in any information yet this season. I'm also right at the end of the semester, so I have plenty going on. It might not happen until this summer.
                            Ahh, just remember Hadley v. Baxendale, International Shoe, and Palsgraff v. Long Island RR and wing it. Concentrate on what really matters--us

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                              Ahh, just remember Hadley v. Baxendale, International Shoe, and Palsgraff v. Long Island RR and wing it. Concentrate on what really matters--us
                              International Shoe was my first experience of getting "grilled" so I'm pretty sure I'll always have that case engrained in my head. I had Civ Pro and Contracts last semester, so I was able to "flip the Hadley switch" already. We're in Torts right now, and we didn't go over Palsgraff in all that much detail as our Professor thought it got too much attention...

I've been spending most of my time working on my Appellate Court Brief, as we go in front of the 10th Circuit next Friday to argue our case (obviously fictitious...but in front of actual circuit court judges).
                              North Dakota

Comment

International Shoe was my first experience of getting "grilled" so I'm pretty sure I'll always have that case engrained in my head. I had Civ Pro and Contracts last semester, so I was able to "flip the Hadley switch" already. We're in Torts right now, and we didn't go over Palsgraff in all that much detail as our Professor thought it got too much attention...

I've been spending most of my time working on my Appellate Court Brief, as we go in front of the 10th Circuit next Friday to argue our case (obviously fictitious...but in front of actual circuit court judges).
                                You must be in the Moot Court finals. Judge Bobby Baldock on that panel?

Comment

Working...
                                X