X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Greatest Programs of All-Time: #1 - #58

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
    NEIHL yes, Big Ten yes, the others...no. I've honestly never heard of the International Intercollegiate Hockey League.

EDIT: After doing a little bit of research, it looks as though the International Intercollegiate Hockey League (IIHL from now on) was basically the Ivies and some Canadian schools (I could be wrong, I've done minimal research). I don't know the years that the IIHL played, but it looks it at least partially overlapped with the Ivy League. Either way, the IIHL was not counted, nor will it count. Perhaps this could be revisited if the day ever comes when a Canadian School joins the NCAA and D-1 hockey.
    Thanks for the answer. I'm interested where you found your information for the NEIHL and other leagues. The basis of most of the information I have is from the Official Ice Hockey Guides and The Intercollegiate Hockey Newsletter. I have supplimented that with newspaper articles, college yearbooks and media guides.

The IIHAA is mentioned in one of the early Official Ice Hockey Guides I looked at recently. I need to look into it some more to see how lomg it may have lasted and if other teams were members.

As you mention, the IIHL had both Ivies and Canadian colleges so I doubted it would be counted. However, I thought I would throw it out there as it was also in the Guides I happened to look at recently. I didn't bother to mention the leagues with the Pacific coast programs as they are all either defunct or club teams now.

Sean
    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
    BU Hockey highlights and extras
    NCAA Hockey Financials
    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
    I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
      Thanks for the answer. I'm interested where you found your information for the NEIHL and other leagues. The basis of most of the information I have is from the Official Ice Hockey Guides and The Intercollegiate Hockey Newsletter. I have supplimented that with newspaper articles, college yearbooks and media guides.

The IIHAA is mentioned in one of the early Official Ice Hockey Guides I looked at recently. I need to look into it some more to see how lomg it may have lasted and if other teams were members.

As you mention, the IIHL had both Ivies and Canadian colleges so I doubted it would be counted. However, I thought I would throw it out there as it was also in the Guides I happened to look at recently. I didn't bother to mention the leagues with the Pacific coast programs as they are all either defunct or club teams now.

Sean
      I used team's Media Guides. Most teams include their conference and conference finish in their year-by-year results.
      North Dakota
      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by HumRsky View Post
        It does answer my question, thanks. It brought up an additional question though...were teams able to compete in both the NCAA and NAIA in those days? Or, more specifically, why was CCHA member Lake State winning NAIA titles if they were in a NCAA D1 conference?
        I don't really have an answer for you there. Somebody that has more depth in understanding of that particular era (or of that particular school) would probably be able answer that for you.
        North Dakota

Comment

For all of those who followed this thread, I wanted to let you know that the list is now online at College Hockey Weekly. It is under their archives section. Here is the direct link...

http://collegehockeyweekly.com/Greatest-Programs.html

The list will be updated throughout the season. Enjoy!
          North Dakota

Comment

I just thought I would let everyone know that I am planning on doing a midseason update of the Greatest Programs.

I'll post a link in here to CHW when I have finished with the midseason update.
            North Dakota

Comment

GREAT rankings especially that #1 team
              ---
              National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
              Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
              19 Conference Championships
              10 Conference Tournament Championships
              2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
                GREAT rankings especially that #1 team

Thank you. Michigan has a big enough lead that I don't think they can be caught this season. North Dakota could get awfully close though if they were to win the title and if Michigan were to have a poor second half.
                North Dakota

Comment

Perhaps AIC can mount a winning campaign, perhaps even make an NCAA Tournament, and get some momentum around their program. If you have a winning program, they won't have issues with scheduling quality opposition.
                  Wow!

Perhaps they will just "make" an NCAA tournament.

Just noticed this thread and planned to read every page. I stopped at Post #4.

Comment

Originally posted by Golden Tuuk View Post
                    Wow!

The Truth Hurts...
                    I just thought I would let everyone know that I am planning on doing a midseason update of the Greatest Programs.

I'll post a link in here to CHW when I have finished with the midseason update.
                    UMD+++++++++++

You should just wait until the year is out when we win the league and the NCAA's again
                    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Wow!

If you can't handle that comment then reading the whole thread probably isn't a good idea for you.
                      North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post

UMD+++++++++++

You should just wait until the year is out when we win the league and the NCAA's again
                        I was originally planning on updating it monthly

Towards the end of the year is when the points really start to add up...so I definitely could just post it then, but I figured a midseason update works as well. There won't be huge differences in standings/points, but it is still interesting to see (at least for me) what direction teams are going at this point in the season.
                        North Dakota

Comment

I'm curious as to who Amesbury is (who Minnesota beat in the Semfinals of the AAU Tourney, sometimes referred to as the "New England All-Stars"). They also beat "Brock Hall of CT" for the AAU Title. Neither of those teams were a part of the EAHL. I would love more information about those two squads, so if you have it, it would be greatly appreciated.

North Dakota didn't have a team in 1940, so anyone would have been "better" than nothing.
                          It could very well be a reference to the Amesbury Maples from Amesbury, MA. These days the team is essentially an adult rec league team as far as I know, but Amesbury is a predominantly French Catholic town, and I believe the Maples have been around in some form since the 1920's and according to rumor were supposedly were pretty good back in the day.
                          National Champions 2014!
                          Cleary Cup Champions 2011, 2012, 2014, 2017!
                          Whitelaw Cup Champions 2012, 2013, 2014!!!
                          Let's Go U!!!

Comment

Wow!

Post #4? You are a quitter.
                            "My greatest achievement."
                            Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

Given the changes in your life and the other responsibilities you've assumed since then, I suggest that holding off until end of season to do an update then is much more practical and understandable!
                              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                                Given the changes in your life and the other responsibilities you've assumed since then, I suggest that holding off until end of season to do an update then is much more practical and understandable!
                                Yeah, that is what I think I will do. I was hoping to get the midseason update done by the time law school started back up, but obviously life happens. I'll probably make the updates in May when school ends for the semester, unless I get time during Spring Break to get the biggest part of the legwork done. I wouldn't count on that though, as I have to get ahead during Spring Break so that the trip to Tampa for the Frozen Four won't be bogged down with school work.
                                North Dakota

Comment

Working...
                                X