Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Greatest Programs of All-Time: #1 - #58

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: The Greatest Programs of All-Time: #1 - #58

    *****http://www.undhockey.net/prov.jpg******

    Providence comes in at #22. The Friars have made 9 trips to the NCAA Tournament, including 3 trips to the Frozen Four. Their best run was in 1985 when the Friars won the inaugural Hockey East Tournament, went to the Frozen Four, and advanced to the title game where they met RPI. Unfortunately for the Friars, they lost, and have yet to be back to the Frozen Four since. Providence has seen better days, and have not won 20+ games since the '00-'01 campaign. Unless the Friars get things turned around, they will most likely continue to slip in the rankings.

    #22 Providence - 37.9103 Points
    #23 Miami - 36.9575 Points
    #24 Dartmouth - 35.143 Points
    #25 Notre Dame - 33.5788 Points
    #26 Yale - 29.1241 Points
    #27 Colgate - 27.7915 Points
    #28 Northeastern - 24.5696 Points
    #29 Brown - 18.3317 Points
    #30 Ohio State - 17.0403 Points
    #31 Vermont - 15.8285 Points
    #32 St. Cloud State - 12.4129 Points
    #33 Bemidji State - 11.4454 Points
    #34 RIT - 8.1655 Points
    #35 Ferris State - 7.8912 Points
    #36 UMass Lowell - 7.1081 Points
    #37 Niagara - 6.4381 Points
    #38 Western Michigan - 5.3974 Points
    #39 Princeton - 5.1729 Points
    #40 Holy Cross - 4.8647 Points
    #41 Alaska-Anchorage - 4.8361 Points
    #42 Air Force - 4.1704 Points
    #43 Quinnipiac - 3.8994 Points
    #44 Mercyhurst - 3.468 Points
    #45 Merrimack - 3.1402 Points
    #46 Massachusetts - 3.0035 Points
    #47 Alaska - 2.9892 Points
    #48 Nebraska Omaha - 2.9092 Points
    #49 Minnesota State - 2.3131 Points
    #50 Alabama Huntsville - 1.9469 Points
    #51 Army - 1.3604 Points
    #52 Union - 0.6174 Points
    #53 UConn - 0.1921 Points
    #54 Sacred Heart - 0.1703 Points
    #55 Bentley - .0279 Points
    #56 Robert Morris - .0245 Points
    #57 Canisius - .0205 Points
    #58 American International - .0061 Points
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

    Comment


    • Re: The Greatest Programs of All-Time: #1 - #58

      Great job FS 23!

      5 of the teams in the bottom half (#s 29 or higher) are in the latest USCHO bracketology?
      52. Union #7
      48. UNO #8
      45. Merrimack #5
      38. WMU #15T-loses out to Wisco
      34. RIT #16
      That's surprising!
      GO DU !!!

      Comment


      • Re: The Greatest Programs of All-Time: #1 - #58

        Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
        Great job FS 23!

        5 of the teams in the bottom half (#s 29 or higher) are in the latest USCHO bracketology?
        52. Union #7
        48. UNO #8
        45. Merrimack #5
        38. WMU #15T-loses out to Wisco
        34. RIT #16
        That's surprising!
        Earlier in the thread we sort of discussed this, but what I said was that if I would have had my formula around say 2005, there are plenty of teams that have made the tournament/Frozen Four since then that would have been in the bottom half. There has been a lot of parity in college hockey over the last 5 years, and Quarterfinal and Frozen Four spots are going to teams that have never been in that position before. The next shoe to fall is when a National Championship goes to a team that has never won before. The last time we had a first time champion was in 1993. I expect that we get a new champion in the next 4-5 years, if not sooner.
        North Dakota
        National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

        Comment


        • Re: The Greatest Programs of All-Time: #1 - #58

          *****http://www.undhockey.net/sl.jpg******

          St. Lawrence comes in at #21. The Saints have made 16 trips to the NCAA Tournament, 15th most all-time, and have gone to the Frozen Four 9 times. In those 9 trips, they made the title game twice ('61 and '88) but were unable to bring home the hardware. Surprisingly, in their 16 trips to the NCAA Tournament, the Saints have only won 5 NCAA games. St. Lawrence has been relatively consistent, making NCAA Tournaments in nearly every decade except the '40s and '70s. If SLU had made more of their many trips they'd be higher on the list. If the Saints can continue to make trips to the NCAAs, they can maintain their position, but they will have to start making more Frozen Fours or win a Title if they want to move up on the list.

          #21 St. Lawrence - 64.6435 Points
          #22 Providence - 37.9103 Points
          #23 Miami - 36.9575 Points
          #24 Dartmouth - 35.143 Points
          #25 Notre Dame - 33.5788 Points
          #26 Yale - 29.1241 Points
          #27 Colgate - 27.7915 Points
          #28 Northeastern - 24.5696 Points
          #29 Brown - 18.3317 Points
          #30 Ohio State - 17.0403 Points
          #31 Vermont - 15.8285 Points
          #32 St. Cloud State - 12.4129 Points
          #33 Bemidji State - 11.4454 Points
          #34 RIT - 8.1655 Points
          #35 Ferris State - 7.8912 Points
          #36 UMass Lowell - 7.1081 Points
          #37 Niagara - 6.4381 Points
          #38 Western Michigan - 5.3974 Points
          #39 Princeton - 5.1729 Points
          #40 Holy Cross - 4.8647 Points
          #41 Alaska-Anchorage - 4.8361 Points
          #42 Air Force - 4.1704 Points
          #43 Quinnipiac - 3.8994 Points
          #44 Mercyhurst - 3.468 Points
          #45 Merrimack - 3.1402 Points
          #46 Massachusetts - 3.0035 Points
          #47 Alaska - 2.9892 Points
          #48 Nebraska Omaha - 2.9092 Points
          #49 Minnesota State - 2.3131 Points
          #50 Alabama Huntsville - 1.9469 Points
          #51 Army - 1.3604 Points
          #52 Union - 0.6174 Points
          #53 UConn - 0.1921 Points
          #54 Sacred Heart - 0.1703 Points
          #55 Bentley - .0279 Points
          #56 Robert Morris - .0245 Points
          #57 Canisius - .0205 Points
          #58 American International - .0061 Points
          North Dakota
          National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

          Comment


          • Re: The Greatest Programs of All-Time: #1 - #58

            Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
            #21 St. Lawrence - 64.6435 Points
            #22 Providence - 37.9103 Points
            #23 Miami - 36.9575 Points
            Wow, now there is a jump in points!

            Comment


            • Re: The Greatest Programs of All-Time: #1 - #58

              Originally posted by alfablue View Post
              Wow, now there is a jump in points!
              It's not that big of a jump. The biggest jump is from #55 to #54...about a 600% jump
              North Dakota
              National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

              Comment


              • Re: The Greatest Programs of All-Time: #1 - #58

                Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                It's not that big of a jump. The biggest jump is from #55 to #54...about a 600% jump
                Percentage wise... yes.
                Points wise... no.

                One trip to the NCAA's for any of those bottom feeders is going to cause them to shoot up the rankings. One trip to the NCAA's for pc and they don't budge...
                Originally posted by Bakunin
                Learning the history and actually suffering through it are very different things. You simply can't appreciate a title as much if you don't suffer through a lot of failure beforehand. To put it another way, if MNS ever gets any, he'll appreciate the experience on a far deeper level than the rest of us did when it was our first time, simply because he's gone far longer and failed far more than we ever did.

                Comment


                • Re: The Greatest Programs of All-Time: #1 - #58

                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                  But, but, but, the DYNASTY!!!!!
                  Don't you usually have to win something before you get labeled a dynasty? No one talks about the great Vikings dynasty of the 70's...

                  Comment


                  • Re: The Greatest Programs of All-Time: #1 - #58

                    Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                    It's not that big of a jump. The biggest jump is from #55 to #54...about a 600% jump
                    It very much depends on how you are weighing. Is it a .15 poing vs. 27 point, or percentages? Seems like with the numbers you are using, 27 points is far more significant (very roughly- 16 vs. 9 adds about ~28 points). But that still has to wait until you announce #1, and THEN the scoring system.

                    Comment


                    • Re: The Greatest Programs of All-Time: #1 - #58

                      Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                      Don't you usually have to win something before you get labeled a dynasty? No one talks about the great Vikings dynasty of the 70's...
                      It was a joke on the Miami dynasty article that was floating around a couple years ago. And you must not spend time around MN much, because around here, people talk about the 70's Vikings dynasty. No, that is not a good thing.
                      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

                      RIP - Kirby

                      Comment


                      • Re: The Greatest Programs of All-Time: #1 - #58

                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                        It was a joke on the Miami dynasty article that was floating around a couple years ago. And you must not spend time around MN much, because around here, people talk about the 70's Vikings dynasty. No, that is not a good thing.
                        I know.

                        And no, I didn't know. That's sad.

                        Comment


                        • Re: The Greatest Programs of All-Time: #1 - #58

                          *****http://www.undhockey.net/daloot.jpg******

                          Minnesota Duluth comes in at #20. The Bulldogs have 6 NCAA Tournament appearances, and made the most of those trips, advancing to the Frozen Four three times. Their best run was in 1984 when the Bulldogs came within a bounce of winning the title, losing in 4 Overtimes to Bowling Green. While Duluth hasn't always been the most consistent team, they have 4 Hobey Baker Award winners. That is tied for the most winners by any team. Minnesota Duluth is on pace for another NCAA Appearance this year, and could very well make another Frozen Four.

                          #20 Minnesota Duluth - 66.5522 Points
                          #21 St. Lawrence - 64.6435 Points
                          #22 Providence - 37.9103 Points
                          #23 Miami - 36.9575 Points
                          #24 Dartmouth - 35.143 Points
                          #25 Notre Dame - 33.5788 Points
                          #26 Yale - 29.1241 Points
                          #27 Colgate - 27.7915 Points
                          #28 Northeastern - 24.5696 Points
                          #29 Brown - 18.3317 Points
                          #30 Ohio State - 17.0403 Points
                          #31 Vermont - 15.8285 Points
                          #32 St. Cloud State - 12.4129 Points
                          #33 Bemidji State - 11.4454 Points
                          #34 RIT - 8.1655 Points
                          #35 Ferris State - 7.8912 Points
                          #36 UMass Lowell - 7.1081 Points
                          #37 Niagara - 6.4381 Points
                          #38 Western Michigan - 5.3974 Points
                          #39 Princeton - 5.1729 Points
                          #40 Holy Cross - 4.8647 Points
                          #41 Alaska-Anchorage - 4.8361 Points
                          #42 Air Force - 4.1704 Points
                          #43 Quinnipiac - 3.8994 Points
                          #44 Mercyhurst - 3.468 Points
                          #45 Merrimack - 3.1402 Points
                          #46 Massachusetts - 3.0035 Points
                          #47 Alaska - 2.9892 Points
                          #48 Nebraska Omaha - 2.9092 Points
                          #49 Minnesota State - 2.3131 Points
                          #50 Alabama Huntsville - 1.9469 Points
                          #51 Army - 1.3604 Points
                          #52 Union - 0.6174 Points
                          #53 UConn - 0.1921 Points
                          #54 Sacred Heart - 0.1703 Points
                          #55 Bentley - .0279 Points
                          #56 Robert Morris - .0245 Points
                          #57 Canisius - .0205 Points
                          #58 American International - .0061 Points
                          North Dakota
                          National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

                          Comment


                          • Re: The Greatest Programs of All-Time: #1 - #58

                            Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                            *****http://www.undhockey.net/daloot.jpg******

                            Minnesota Duluth comes in at #20. The Bulldogs have 6 NCAA Tournament appearances, and made the most of those trips, advancing to the Frozen Four three times. Their best run was in 1984 when the Bulldogs came within a bounce of winning the title, losing in 4 Overtimes to Bowling Green. While Duluth hasn't always been the most consistent team, they have 4 Hobey Baker Award winners. That is tied for the most winners by any team. Minnesota Duluth is on pace for another NCAA Appearance this year, and could very well make another Frozen Four.

                            #20 Minnesota Duluth - 66.5522 Points
                            #21 St. Lawrence - 64.6435 Points
                            #22 Providence - 37.9103 Points
                            #23 Miami - 36.9575 Points
                            #24 Dartmouth - 35.143 Points
                            #25 Notre Dame - 33.5788 Points
                            #26 Yale - 29.1241 Points
                            #27 Colgate - 27.7915 Points
                            #28 Northeastern - 24.5696 Points
                            #29 Brown - 18.3317 Points
                            #30 Ohio State - 17.0403 Points
                            #31 Vermont - 15.8285 Points
                            #32 St. Cloud State - 12.4129 Points
                            #33 Bemidji State - 11.4454 Points
                            #34 RIT - 8.1655 Points
                            #35 Ferris State - 7.8912 Points
                            #36 UMass Lowell - 7.1081 Points
                            #37 Niagara - 6.4381 Points
                            #38 Western Michigan - 5.3974 Points
                            #39 Princeton - 5.1729 Points
                            #40 Holy Cross - 4.8647 Points
                            #41 Alaska-Anchorage - 4.8361 Points
                            #42 Air Force - 4.1704 Points
                            #43 Quinnipiac - 3.8994 Points
                            #44 Mercyhurst - 3.468 Points
                            #45 Merrimack - 3.1402 Points
                            #46 Massachusetts - 3.0035 Points
                            #47 Alaska - 2.9892 Points
                            #48 Nebraska Omaha - 2.9092 Points
                            #49 Minnesota State - 2.3131 Points
                            #50 Alabama Huntsville - 1.9469 Points
                            #51 Army - 1.3604 Points
                            #52 Union - 0.6174 Points
                            #53 UConn - 0.1921 Points
                            #54 Sacred Heart - 0.1703 Points
                            #55 Bentley - .0279 Points
                            #56 Robert Morris - .0245 Points
                            #57 Canisius - .0205 Points
                            #58 American International - .0061 Points
                            Dang. I thought we would be slightly higher. But makes sense I guess. I wanna know who will be one above us.
                            tUMD Hockey

                            "And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

                            Comment


                            • Re: The Greatest Programs of All-Time: #1 - #58

                              Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                              While Duluth hasn't always been the most consistent team, they have 4 Hobey Baker Award winners. That is tied for the most winners by any team.
                              Interesting commentary... could Hobey Winners be part of the formula?
                              BOSTON UNIVERSITY TERRIERS
                              CASE WESTERN RESERVE UNIVERSITY SPARTANS

                              UNH - 1985 NCAA Women's Lacrosse Champions!

                              2003-2004 D-III Tournament of Posters Champion
                              2010 NFL Survival Pool Champion
                              2014 NFL Survival Pool Co-Champion

                              Comment


                              • Re: The Greatest Programs of All-Time: #1 - #58

                                Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                                Dang. I thought we would be slightly higher. But makes sense I guess. I wanna know who will be one above us.
                                Yeah, this is a really interesting point in the rankings. Do the lowest of programs who have won a title (probably Bowling Green followed by Northern Michigan) beat the best programs that are currently winless (probably Clarkson followed by New Hampshire... which I believe are the only 2 remaining).

                                I think seeing BGSU would be the most interesting, and just edging UMD again would just be a bonus.
                                BOSTON UNIVERSITY TERRIERS
                                CASE WESTERN RESERVE UNIVERSITY SPARTANS

                                UNH - 1985 NCAA Women's Lacrosse Champions!

                                2003-2004 D-III Tournament of Posters Champion
                                2010 NFL Survival Pool Champion
                                2014 NFL Survival Pool Co-Champion

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X