Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2010-11 - Part II - The Dream is Still Alive <<<

Originally posted by blazer777 View Post
    While not a fan of any loss, this one didn't seem to bother me too much. Next week will be a different story though and they need to come out firing in the first period or it will be a long night. I think Jan gets the start and holds them off, just need a few scores from the offense and we should be fine.

If we take three from Niagara, it will look good in the eyes of the pollsters.

Then we worry about the play-offs.
    I couldn't care less about the pollsters. The Tigers have one way into the dance and one way only. All of their focus will be on getting to the BCA and winning once they do that.

As far as this weekend's games, I do believe that in their pursuit of playoff success, a win or two against NU could prove to be very important. If for no other reason than to get the players believing they can beat anyone they may face in the AHA tournament. Now that NU has slumped and slid down the standings some, it may be even more important. If RIT were to lose to the Eagles two more times in a row, it could potentially make them think twice about their confidence. I just think they need to get that monkey off their back now.
    There also may be a matter of shrugging off last week's loss. Although it ended up closer, that game was 5-1 at 33 minutes in. It was yet another game where they took a period (or more) off. This time, the opponent actually capitalized big-time and the Tigers couldn't make up for it in the time they actually decided to show up and dominate play. So they couldn't salvage a tie out of it like they did against AFA or MC.

Here's to hoping the Tigers can play a full 60 minutes again (like they do consistently against Canisius) when it matters most!
    Can't we all just get along?
    Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
      I couldn't care less about the pollsters. The Tigers have one way into the dance and one way only. All of their focus will be on getting to the BCA and winning once they do that.
      I agree, though a little national notoriety is always good.
      "Make-up call, thank you!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Rochester View Post
        That is exactly what not to do! Right now is crunch time. You don't tell them good job. You get angry at them when they did something wrong. Keep the dream alive by getting frustrated with them. Don't let them get a big head. Burt was alright yesterday and still gets stupid penalties. End of story. The time to give them credit is at the end of the season. This team hasn't even peaked yet. Criticize them!!!
        Ok when did everyone go to the Herb Brooks school of how to be an effective hockey fan motivator? People debate their play but relax a little. 4 Regular Season Titles in 5 years is nothing to sneeze at, not to mention the whole frozen four thing.

Also take it from some who had a buddy play college. The only people you are going to get fired up are parents and friends. Most of the players do not read to much of the boards. And if they are smart they do not take it seriously. Leave the motivating to coach Wilson and his staff...

Burt has had a rough year. And I have commented on it before. I was real happy to see him get a goal against Canisius. Yes it was ugly, but those are the kind of goals that can get you going. Burt does a lot of other things that help the team win.....
        Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
        The Mule
        Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

• Originally posted by komey1 View Post
          Aside from the first period flurry, I don't think there was a lot of bad play. In fact, this loss may refocus the team - who knows. It's a good reminder for the playoffs that they can be beat.
          Well said. It took awhile for me to understand, but in hockey sometimes the best thing for your team is to get beat. This team is different than last year and so is the league. But something is the same. Teams are close enough in this conference that when you get to Blue Cross anything can happen in a one game play off....
          Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
          The Mule
          Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post

As far as this weekend's games, I do believe that in their pursuit of playoff success, a win or two against NU could prove to be very important. If for no other reason than to get the players believing they can beat anyone they may face in the AHA tournament. Now that NU has slumped and slid down the standings some, it may be even more important. If RIT were to lose to the Eagles two more times in a row, it could potentially make them think twice about their confidence. I just think they need to get that monkey off their back now.
            There also may be a matter of shrugging off last week's loss. Although it ended up closer, that game was 5-1 at 33 minutes in. It was yet another game where they took a period (or more) off. This time, the opponent actually capitalized big-time and the Tigers couldn't make up for it in the time they actually decided to show up and dominate play. So they couldn't salvage a tie out of it like they did against AFA or MC.

Here's to hoping the Tigers can play a full 60 minutes again (like they do consistently against Canisius) when it matters most!
            Here's what bothers me about the polls......

They seem to favor the other leagues regardless of what an AHA team is doing. They only give AHA a little notice at the end of the season. INCH was the only poll to include RIT in their top 20.

After this weekends game, RMO is ahead of RIT in number of votes.....how do they figure that out if you look at the season in total and the play by RIT over the last few month?

You're right, all that matters are the games this weekend and winning the play-offs to get to the regionals but still......

Question, if the Tigers go to a game three in the first round, when does that game start on the Sunday? I'll be in Singapore (13 hours ahead) and am trying to figure when I'll need to wake up if it comes to that.
            RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post
              Well said. It took awhile for me to understand, but in hockey sometimes the best thing for your team is to get beat.
              I don't agree with this at all. It's like the crap people want to spew about a "moral victory" when their team loses a tough game against a superior opponent. There is no such thing as a good loss or a moral victory. A team either wins or doesn't. No in between. A well coached team can, and should, learn just as much from a win as from a loss.
              My Four Favorite teams:
              RIT and anyone who is beating Canisius
              Cornell and anyone who is beating Harvard

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by blazer777 View Post
                Here's what bothers me about the polls......

They seem to favor the other leagues regardless of what an AHA team is doing. They only give AHA a little notice at the end of the season.
                It's because a large chunk (most) of the AHA is still a joke. If/when more of the teams become competative then the pollsters will give the top teams more credit.
                My Four Favorite teams:
                RIT and anyone who is beating Canisius
                Cornell and anyone who is beating Harvard

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MattS View Post
                  A well coached team can, and should, learn just as much from a win as from a loss.
                  There's one thing you can't learn from a win: that you can't always eke out a win if you don't play your best.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post
                    Leave the motivating to coach Wilson and his staff...
                    Considering the first period of last Saturday's game, maybe that's asking too much?

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                      Considering the first period of last Saturday's game, maybe that's asking too much?

Powers &8^]
                      Are you serious? You don't win the league with 3 games to go without being motivated.
                      2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                      2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                      2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                      2010 Frozen Four participant
                      2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                        Are you serious? You don't win the league with 3 games to go without being motivated.
                        And a serious implosion by your nearest competitor (Niagara, who had an 0-4-1 streak). Playing in the AHA helps, too.

Motivation is part of it. Just being better is part of it. But despite our talent, we lost a few we shouldn't have. Motivation to finish off teams has been a problem.

But I wouldn't worry about it. As the stakes go up, motivation will be there. Last Saturday's game was a throwaway. As Wilson said - no big deal, and if you subtract 5 minutes from the first, we played them even or perhaps had the upper hand, when they had a lot on the line and we were putting in guys who've not played for months. A letdown right after clinching is not unexpected.

The questionis whether we use the hoopla surrounding Friday's game to our advantage and right ourselves.

Oh, and komey - streak is over, might want to change the user title.
                        "Make-up call, thank you!"

Comment

Depends on which streak you are referring to. Three straight AHA titles is a good streak.
                          2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                          2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                          2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                          2010 Frozen Four participant
                          2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

I'm personally more disappointed Madolora lost his unbeaten record than I am about losing all the other streaks. It's espicially disappointing because he just started getting national credit (a full article here plus 1st star) then he immediately loses most of what he had going for him as far as being #1.

Oh well, he's still a boss.
                            RIT

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
                              I'm personally more disappointed Madolora lost his unbeaten record than I am about losing all the other streaks. It's espicially disappointing because he just started getting national credit (a full article here plus 1st star) then he immediately loses most of what he had going for him as far as being #1.

Oh well, he's still a boss.
                              Well, at least we know he won't be puffed up by that credit going into the playoffs.
                              RIT

We made the Frozen Four!!!

Follow the RIT Corner Crew on Facebook

Comment

Anyone see the question of the week? I'd like to see a regional in Syracuse. Would be nice to only have to drive an hour.
                                RIT

We made the Frozen Four!!!

Follow the RIT Corner Crew on Facebook

Comment

Working...
                                X