Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New Hampshire vs. Maine: Feb 4/5

Originally posted by MAINEhockeyFireWhitehead View Post
    UNH was also sanctioned by the ncaa and still has no titles the long lasting legacy of the University Of No Hardware we have 2 what about you?
    A) We understand grammar. Commas. Look into them. Also, try to stick to one "thought" per sentence.
    B) UNH has never won the NCAA title, and they still managed to sweep Maine this season, in three pretty awesome games. How about that?
    Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
    -Fred Shero

Comment

UNH was also sanctioned by the ncaa and still has no titles the long lasting legacy of the University Of No Hardware we have 2* what about you?
      hahaha, apples and oranges. How many games did UNH have to forefit? How many post seasons was UNH banned from and how many seasons was Umile suspended for?

In relation, UNH's email mixup compared to the dirtiest program in College Hockey History is like comparing the post season success of St. Cloud vs. North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by UNHhockey29 View Post
        Ok I'll bite....

Well let's see, pretty sure this was all in 94...
        17 student athletes (most of whom were hockey players) were let into a dining hall free of charge (against NCAA rules when all other students have to pay)
        Hockey players were allowed to use the fitness center free of charge when all other students had to pay (again against NCAA rules)
        Cal Ingraham had to sit out the first 14 games of the hockey season when the university discovered it had made an error in transferring his academic credits, and by "sit out" I'm pretty sure that means he played and Maine then had to forfeit the wins they got during those 14 games.
        Jeff Tory was declared ineligible by the NCAA because he had failed to meet the NCAA's requirement that student-athletes maintain a 2.0 grade point average in high school, that was also during the 14 games that had to be forfeited.
        Maybe it was different back then, but when I went to school:
        Assuming you had any kind of meal plan, it was near impossible (especially for a student athlete) to use more meals than they had.
        The fitness center is paid for by a fee that you can not opt-out of.
        Wasn't the academic ineligibility due to a difference in the understanding of how pass/fail works? Soooooo dirty.
        Me: ...but why would anyone want to vacation here? There are better mountains in NH and VT, beaches in Cape Cod and RI, and colonial landmarks in Mass and CT.

Boss: You've got it all wrong. It's Vacationland because nobody would ever want to live here for more than a week.

Go MAINE! My sometimes home

Comment

• Originally posted by Erix_The_Red View Post
          Assuming you had any kind of meal plan, it was near impossible (especially for a student athlete) to use more meals than they had.
          Wasn't the academic ineligibility due to a difference in the understanding of how pass/fail works? Soooooo dirty.
          ? Its pass or fail. Where is the gray area

Comment

Originally posted by GoUNH View Post
            ? Its pass or fail. Where is the gray area
            The question was what to count a pass as for GPA
            Me: ...but why would anyone want to vacation here? There are better mountains in NH and VT, beaches in Cape Cod and RI, and colonial landmarks in Mass and CT.

Boss: You've got it all wrong. It's Vacationland because nobody would ever want to live here for more than a week.

Comment

UNH was also sanctioned by the ncaa and still has no titles the long lasting legacy of the University Of No Hardware we have 2 what about you?
              C'mon MHFW....give it to those western pansies. Dont let up now gd it. Stay right on the gas pedal !!!!
              I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erix_The_Red View Post
                The question was what to count a pass as for GPA
                Its a number. You are either at the number or below it. If that's the attitude the school took I can see why the NCAA came down harder for failing to cooperate during the investigation. Where is the gray area

Comment

that is right, and to play the idiot game (like the people who are merely looking at the NUMBER of infractions.)
                  scott borek was guilty of infinitely more infractions than maine ever was... you see each email over the allowed number is a single infraction.

UNH... THOUSANDS of infractions.
                  Maine, only about 50.

gosh... WILDSHAWN and whoever else doesn'ty understand thse sorts of things...
                  see what happens when you are not willing to THINK?
                  or are you not able to comprehend that either?

Comment

Originally posted by GoUNH View Post
                    Its a number. You are either at the number or below it. If that's the attitude the school took I can see why the NCAA came down harder for failing to cooperate during the investigation. Where is the gray area
                    the grey area is when you calculate a GPA what number does a "pass" grade count as. Maine interpreted it to be one thing (a 2.0 maybe?) while the NCAA equates it with something else, and the difference changed the eligibility of the player. If I remember right the player had a number of "pass" grades from high school?

Comment

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post
                      A) We understand grammar. Commas. Look into them. Also, try to stick to one "thought" per sentence.
                      B) UNH has never won the NCAA title, and they still managed to sweep Maine this season, in three pretty awesome games. How about that?
                      really??? I got a good idea that you are fluent in 1337 speak, but you feel a need to pick on comma use on a board like this?

Comment

Originally posted by UNHhockey29 View Post
                        Ok I'll bite....

Well let's see, pretty sure this was all in 94...
                        17 student athletes (most of whom were hockey players) were let into a dining hall free of charge (against NCAA rules when all other students have to pay)
                        Hockey players were allowed to use the fitness center free of charge when all other students had to pay (again against NCAA rules)
                        Cal Ingraham had to sit out the first 14 games of the hockey season when the university discovered it had made an error in transferring his academic credits, and by "sit out" I'm pretty sure that means he played and Maine then had to forfeit the wins they got during those 14 games.
                        Jeff Tory was declared ineligible by the NCAA because he had failed to meet the NCAA's requirement that student-athletes maintain a 2.0 grade point average in high school, that was also during the 14 games that had to be forfeited.

Is that what you were looking for?

Also *** does basketball have to do with hockey?
                        there, finally a set of 3 or 4 specific infractions.

I will agree that most of these 4 or so infractions are bad... but a lot of dolts online seem to think that Maine was guilty of hundreds of bad things...
                        there were hundreds of idiotic missteps that the NCAA used to bolster its case, and three or 4 bad things that should have been punished... and they were.

re:Cal Ingraham... it is my recollection that he was inelligible because the compliance people at Air Force messed up the paperwork that they sent to Maine... so there was another one that should not have been hung on Shawn...

the NCAA acted almost completely unreasonably
                        Pat Tardiff was another that was hung on Shawn, unfairly

the dolts are going to be VERY unhappy when/if the NCAA investigates the reason why UNH does well in the regular season and not so well in the post season.... (hint... motherwell and o'hanley found out the hard way what happens if you are not aware that you are playing in an NCAA sponosred game as opposed to a regular season game)
                        GRIN!
                        Last edited by KnowItAll; 02-17-2011, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Erix_The_Red View Post
                          The students that got free meals were off-campus hockey players with no meal plan. This was unauthorized (whomever was working at the register took it upon themselves to let the players eat free of charge). The dining services discovered this when they found that cash reciepts went up when this person went on vacation and down when she was back. The total value of the meals was calculated to be around $600 and the players were forced to pay, ranging from like $10 to $60 depending on how many meals they determined they had been given.

Before the new fitness center students paid an optional fee to use old one. The University allowed athletes to use the fitness center free of charge during the off-season (maybe they were allowed to use it free of charge during the on season since there may not have been separate facilities for athletes at that time, I'm not sure, but what I read had specifically mentioned it was because of summer access).

Comment

Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
                            that is right, and to play the idiot game (like the people who are merely looking at the NUMBER of infractions.)
                            scott borek was guilty of infinitely more infractions than maine ever was... you see each email over the allowed number is a single infraction.

UNH... THOUSANDS of infractions.
                            Maine, only about 50.

gosh... WILDSHAWN and whoever else doesn'ty understand thse sorts of things...
                            see what happens when you are not willing to THINK?
                            or are you not able to comprehend that either?
                            I don't care about a number, I care about severity, especially in relation to the rest college hockey. How many scolarships was UNH docked? How many games did UNH have to forefit? How many post seasons were the Wildcats BANNED from and how many seasons did Umile get suspended for?
                            Not condoning ANY violations, but they're not even in the same PLANET.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                              The students that got free meals were off-campus hockey players with no meal plan. This was unauthorized (whomever was working at the register took it upon themselves to let the players eat free of charge). The dining services discovered this when they found that cash reciepts went up when this person went on vacation and down when she was back. The total value of the meals was calculated to be around $600 and the players were forced to pay, ranging from like $10 to $60 depending on how many meals they determined they had been given.
                              Sounds like a student employee's fault and all was resolved.

Comment

Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
                                the dolts are going to be VERY unhappy when/if the NCAA investigates the reason why UNH does well in the regular season and not so well in the post season.... (hint... motherwell and o'hanley found out the hard way what happens if you are not aware that you are playing in an NCAA sponosred game as opposed to a regular season game)
                                GRIN!
                                Um.
                                huh?
                                (Motherwell and O'Hanley were kicked off of their team by their coach after getting caught with something they shouldn't have been caught with while in Michigan after the ice breaker)

Comment

Working...
                                X