Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is a little outrageous! Pairwise Benefits for ECAC vs. Hockey East, WCHA, CCHA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This is a little outrageous! Pairwise Benefits for ECAC vs. Hockey East, WCHA, CC

The data on the ECAC's NCAA record is interesting and telling. No one in the ECAC would argue that they are equal to the other 3 conferences. That said, we feel we had a good year and are positioned to be more relevant as a group going forward given the depth, and what should be upside at historically good programs like Clksn and SLU. With RPI unfortunately getting blasted, it doesn't help our case. RPI seemed to be a unique situation this year with a team that was quite good 1H and almost abysmal in 2H. Moreover, the ECAC is OFTEN, 2011 excepted, entering teams that are ranked 10-16. They go in as underdogs, head west to play higher seeds and lose (see RPI). In terms of your data of 0.38 wins per bid, I wonder what the wins per bid are for teams that enter as 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, or 16 seeds ? Get that data and compare it to the ECAC on a seed equivalent basis. As for storied programs like MN, BC, ME, there's no doubt it's fun to see them play . . but that also sets up a BCS like debate. And I think others have aptly pointed out ME's dumb losses this year. On RPI, Dartmouth and Union vs Miami, BU and Maine, this year I might bet on 2 wins for the ECAC, granting you Miami over RPI. As for Union and Yale, those teams were perhaps over-ranked, esp Yale, but not by more than 3-4 slots in my view. I watched all the Bridgeport games, and Yale and Union were better than UMD at the start of both games. I have talked to a zillion former college hockey players who were at those games; none are Yale or Union fans, and they all agree with that assessment. And before Western guys jump on me, please note that I have been effusive in praise of UMD, from coaching to execution, to role palyers, to the top line, to goaltending. I doubt it happens, but if UMD takes down ND, perhaps Bridgeport's ECAC disaster will be viewed differently. Without analyzing all the facts and issues in those games, and without taking any credit away from UMD, let's focus on 2 indisputable facts: (1) the MOP was UMDs goalie, (2) UMD scored 5 PP goals in 2 games. Hot goalie + Hot PP = Winner of 2 Day Tourney almost every time at any level. Hats off to UMD and shouldn't be a big blemish for ECAC.

Comment

Working...
    X