Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI 2010-2011 IV: We Still Have Allen York. Sorry, Everyone!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2010-2011 IV: We Still Have Allen York. Sorry, Everyone!

Originally posted by rvd5star69 View Post
    I know anything can happen in the playoffs. However I would like to pull of 3rd place. That would mean we swept Princeton. Then see Cornell and Dartmouth finish 4 -5 and if the met 2nd round beat the crap out of each other .
    Assume a sweep? We can't assume anything in this league. The big guns have to play well for RPI against Princeton and Q'Pac. It was nice to see the young guys and some grinders get points up north, but one point in two games by your top six scorers will not get it done. I hope all the ice time and defensive attention Polacek, Helfrich, Bailen and Brutlag have drawn has not drained their tanks. They desperately need to find a way to get two wins and earn the week off. It would be nice to see a large and rowdy crowd both nights.

Comment

Originally posted by hawthr View Post
      Yale wins a crazy Sunday game at Princeton, keeping the Engineers in 5th place.

RPI can lock up 5th with a win on Friday over the Tigers. To move into a bye position, we'll need just a little help - one more point next weekend than Dartmouth (playing at home vs. SLU & Clarkson) or two more than Cornell (at Brown & Yale).

Assuming a weekend sweep for us, we can place 3rd with a Dartmouth tie and a Cornell loss.
      That could put me in a really strange position due to a potential conflict of interest. Since my graduate degree is from Cornell I root for the Big Red against everyone except RPI. I'm going to the game at the Whale next Saturday. If a Yale win could get the Engineers home ice it would be awkward but I'd have to cheer for the Bulldogs.

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
        That could put me in a really strange position due to a potential conflict of interest. Since my graduate degree is from Cornell I root for the Big Red against everyone except RPI. I'm going to the game at the Whale next Saturday. If a Yale win could get the Engineers home ice it would be awkward but I'd have to cheer for the Bulldogs.
        I often get a bit conflicted myself. I'm an RPI graduate but went to Medical School at Union's Albany Medical College and taught 3 years at Boston University Hospital. There is o question where my first loyalty lies-but I often find myself rooting for my other training sites as long as they do not conflict with the fortunes of the 'Tute.
        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
          I often get a bit conflicted myself. I'm an RPI graduate but went to Medical School at Union's Albany Medical College and taught 3 years at Boston University Hospital. There is o question where my first loyalty lies-but I often find myself rooting for my other training sites as long as they do not conflict with the fortunes of the 'Tute.
          I guess that we can tolerate the BU part. I am not sure about that other school out west.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

#12 on InCH, down 2 from last week. http://www.insidecollegehockey.com/5...polls_0921.htm
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Jasma View Post
              Assume a sweep? We can't assume anything in this league.
              No one's "assuming" anything. Looked to me like rvd was just pointing out what would happen if we DID sweep.
              Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

It may be interesting to see who the officials will be assigned to Troy this weekend since these games are so important. I know there are a couple I would rather not see.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                  No one's "assuming" anything. Looked to me like rvd was just pointing out what would happen if we DID sweep.
                  I replied to the wrong message. His note was in reply to someone who said ...assuming a sweep for RPI, we would need help, etc.

Comment

The officials don't matter becasue Cornell is not the opponent. Princeton and Q'Pac are the only things that matter this weekend. Win both, or perhaps tie one and win one and there is a very good chance the Engineers get a bye.
                    At the beginning of the season, most fans would have been very happy if you told them RPI would finish in the top four and be in the hunt for an NCAA bid. That is now within their grasp.
                    Factor in all the lost games to injuries (Bergin, Kennedy, Higgs, York, Lee and Halpern) and I for one think this season has gone quite well. A strong finish and a trip to AC would be a terrific send-off for the seniors who have helped Appert and his staff build the foundation of a very good program. Let's Go Red!

Comment

The officials don't matter becasue Cornell is not the opponent. Princeton and Q'Pac are the only things that matter this weekend. Win both, or perhaps tie one and win one and there is a very good chance the Engineers get a bye.
                      At the beginning of the season, most fans would have been very happy if you told them RPI would finish in the top four and be in the hunt for an NCAA bid. That is now within their grasp.
                      Factor in all the lost games to injuries (Bergin, Kennedy, Higgs, York, Lee and Halpern) and I for one think this season has gone quite well. A strong finish and a trip to AC would be a terrific send-off for the seniors who have helped Appert and his staff build the foundation of a very good program. Let's Go Red!
                      With all due respect I beg to differ with you-the officials may indeed matter. There are a couple of fellows we would prefer not to be in charge of such important games that will decide if we get a bye and it will be most interesting to see who gets the assignment. BTW Jenny and I were in Princeton yesterday and watched Feola ref the game-he called a very interesting game. There was at least one severe hitting from behind that he gave a 2 minute boarding penalty for what I am sure would have been 5 minutes if we did it (and a game misconduct). I have seen the same officials that are assigned to many of our games also do the games down here in Princeton and you would be amazed at how the games are called differently. And yes I realize Princeton is a different team than we are-but a penalty should be a penalty.
                      It will also be interesting to see who gets assigned to the Yale/Cornell game and how that game is called. I cannot prove it, but I have had the feeling that some teams routinely get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to ECAC officiating. I had this feeling back many years ago with Harvard when Cleary was head coach and the same feeling is surfacing again but with different teams.

Comment

I replied to the wrong message. His note was in reply to someone who said ...assuming a sweep for RPI, we would need help, etc.
                        My statement still stands.

Further, the head in the sand "I'm only going to care about what RPI does" approach continues to be foolish, especially when we're not in control of our own destiny for the bye. If you tell me you aren't going to be keeping an eye on the Cornell and Dartmouth games this weekend, you're either a fool or a liar.
                        Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

I was getting tired of doing my income tax, so I started surfing the web and came across a rather humorous year-old article about Brandon Pirri on a Blackhawks blog http://fifthfeather.wordpress.com/20...a-closer-look/ which I don't recall having seen at the time. The author based his comments on watching last year's game at Princeton. Despite the fact that BP is no longer on the team, I think that the authors comments on penalties and phantom assists are still relevant.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I'm with you on that 100%!

Comment

... There was at least one severe hitting from behind that he gave a 2 minute boarding penalty for what I am sure would have been 5 minutes...
                              There in lies the rub for me and I think, most of us. We all saw Jerry D. get pummelled from behind several times last year with no call at all.

While I'd personally rather see a wide-open offensive style of play, at the end of the day fans deserve and players NEED to have the games called the same way night in and night out.

Consistency matters. There simply isn't any in ECAC officiating and there hasn't been. Stewart has failed at his primary objective and his ego and thin skin have further polluted his tenure. The results simply aren't there.
                              ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

There was at least one severe hitting from behind that he gave a 2 minute boarding penalty for what I am sure would have been 5 minutes if we did it (and a game misconduct).
                                Kotyra and Feola were also the refs (I forget which one actually made the call) in our game against Cornell when Greg Miller got a 5 & misconduct for taking JFK out along the boards. Some of the complaining about refs is warranted, while other statements are just absurd and a case of us posters being reluctant to call out the team for a weak effort.

I went up to the North Country for both games this weekend, but only ended up seeing 2.5 periods because I accidentally ran into a snowbank on the side of the road in between Lake Placid and Potsdam. In our game against St. Lawrence, we really struggled with the ability to effectively clear the zone. Any time that we would clear, the forwards would have to go off for a change, leading to little to no offensive pressure. I would also like to say that of the 3 goals I saw against York (I missed the first two), the first goal that I saw allowed (third overall) was the only one that I could possibly fault him for. Just like last weekend, neither the goaltending nor the reffing were the reason that we lost that game. Just my $0.02, though. I'm glad that we got back on the winning side of the ledger and I'm looking forward to a couple good games this upcoming weekend. If they can put out a couple solid 60-minute efforts, there's no reason that we can't come out of this weekend with a sweep.
                                Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Working...
                                X