Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI 2010-2011 IV: We Still Have Allen York. Sorry, Everyone!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2010-2011 IV: We Still Have Allen York. Sorry, Everyone!

Originally posted by Big Jim View Post
    I can't offer you much hope, others will say you are not a fan to the end or you wouldn't have posted this, I posted about a month and a half ago that we were basically a middle of the pack team and I still believe that, I think we got some fortunate wins that placed us higher than we should have been, now when it comes down to crunch time we are quickly fading. It is not Bergin or Kennedy (when he was out) or any other single player that is the missing link to sucess with the exception of York, we just don't have enough finishers, we get too many almost, should have, could have chances that we just don't bury and in the end it costs us. We will be very lucky if we can somehow sneak our way into Atlantic City.
    I also am concerned about next year, and here we go again already talking about next year...it seems to always be next year, next year has some very talented frosh but we also lose some great talent, so it takes a year for the frosh to blossom but the following year we lose York...and so on and so forth...next year never comes.
    Hope springs eternal for the fan. The program is still much better off than 2 or 3 years ago. You can't wave a wand and replace guys the caliber of D'Amigo and Pirri. It will take time to recover from that. Appert had to expcet 25-30 goals from thos two this year.

I still think he has the program going in the right direction. He needs to keep attracting the better recurits and it will come together. A break or two from the injury gods would also help.

Comment

He's still making a lot moremoney in the OHL than the NCAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasma View Post
        He's still making a lot moremoney in the OHL than the NCAA.
        On the other hand-graduating from RPI with a 4 year degree is worth quite a bit on the market. There is no guarantee he gets up to the NHL for any extended time. I know what the RPI degree did for my financial life and that would be hard to replace unless I had a substantial pro career. I know JD'A has a lot of potential-but if he does not make a substantial move up in the pro organization in the next year or 2-the chances of that big payday become considerable less. Just pointing out the pretty obvious other side of the coin.
        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
          On the other hand-graduating from RPI with a 4 year degree is worth quite a bit on the market. There is no guarantee he gets up to the NHL for any extended time. I know what the RPI degree did for my financial life and that would be hard to replace unless I had a substantial pro career. I know JD'A has a lot of potential-but if he does not make a substantial move up in the pro organization in the next year or 2-the chances of that big payday become considerable less. Just pointing out the pretty obvious other side of the coin.
          Undoubtedly, he considered all of that before he made his decision. Might he have done otherwise had he known what would transpire this year? Yes, he might have, but he also might ahve done thigns the same way. We don't know what went on between he and his agent and Toronto. At least, I don't.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
            I have trouble understanding why you never show your face around here unless there's an opportunity to be down on the team. Some fan you are. Can't wait for the team to start winning again, mostly so you'll crawl back under your rock.
            I think that you should try making some original posts rather than simply dumping on the posts of others.

Comment

I can't add much to this discussion, but I just wanted to point out that the title of this thread is hilarious. Job well done.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                Undoubtedly, he considered all of that before he made his decision. Might he have done otherwise had he known what would transpire this year? Yes, he might have, but he also might ahve done thigns the same way. We don't know what went on between he and his agent and Toronto. At least, I don't.
                Ralph, as you know, I saw this kind of thing first hand almost 12 years ago. It is an agonizing decision to make since it is irreversible. Each case has to be taken on it's own merit. I am one to believe that nothing is ever guaranteed and you take the money offerred (if it is substantial enough). I truly hope in the case of JD'A and BP that the numbers made sense. In the case that I am most familiar with, there were several offers and 2 of them were Godfather type offers-just plain offers you can't refuse. Saying that-it sure would have been interesting to see how this year's team would have been with no one leaving for the pros. When you recruuit really talented players you have to face this possibility every year. I guess this just proves we are moving up to the big time recruiting. I don't suspect any of our young players will be leaving after this year (York is possible but he has at least been here 3 years). Next year's crop of freshmen are an entire new ball game and what happens with them will remain to be seen as we find out about the draft later this year.

Comment

I will point out some equally obvious points. He can always finish his degree. It is also obvious that the NHL was always his first priority and the degree was a fall-back position.
                  There is nothing wrong with grabbing the brass ring when it is in reach. Yours was the degree and his was professional hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by RedWrister View Post
                    I think that you should try making some original posts rather than simply dumping on the posts of others.
                    I am not defending Red Cloud-most of us knows he certainly can defend himself quite well-but I find some of his comments hilarious and understand where he is coming from. I miss when he is not active on our threads.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasma View Post
                      I will point out some equally obvious points. He can always finish his degree. It is also obvious that the NHL was always his first priority and the degree was a fall-back position.
                      There is nothing wrong with grabbing the brass ring when it is in reach. Yours was the degree and his was professional hockey.
                      For sure! Cannot agree more. But he has given up his college eligibility to play hockey and he would have to come back to finih 3 year for a degree-not something very likely.

Comment

Ralph, as you know, I saw this kind of thing first hand almost 12 years ago. It is an agonizing decision to make since it is irreversible. Each case has to be taken on it's own merit. I am one to believe that nothing is ever guaranteed and you take the money offerred (if it is substantial enough). I truly hope in the case of JD'A and BP that the numbers made sense. In the case that I am most familiar with, there were several offers and 2 of them were Godfather type offers-just plain offers you can't refuse. Saying that-it sure would have been interesting to see how this year's team would have been with no one leaving for the pros. When you recruuit really talented players you have to face this possibility every year. I guess this just proves we are moving up to the big time recruiting. I don't suspect any of our young players will be leaving after this year (York is possible but he has at least been here 3 years). Next year's crop of freshmen are an entire new ball game and what happens with them will remain to be seen as we find out about the draft later this year.
                        yup.

Comment

They finally took a team picture http://www.rpiathletics.com/roster.aspx?path=hockey&.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by ServinisScores View Post
                            I believe in Seth!
                            SS I can't believe I am saying this but I 100 % agree with this post. Next thing you know fishcore and I will be having a beer at the Penalty Box together talking about how ECAC refs s**k. In all seriousness, great post
                            "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

I am not defending Red Cloud-most of us knows he certainly can defend himself quite well-but I find some of his comments hilarious and understand where he is coming from. I miss when he is not active on our threads.
                              Agreed. I believe the living legend (Red Cloud) is trying to say buck up, this isn't a time for the faint of heart. Our temperamental but talented colleague brings a conscious to this thread that is missing in his absence.
                              "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                                Where's McGuane??

Comment

Working...
                                X