Marketing College Hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marketing College Hockey

RPI also recently started sponsoring their power plays, the law firm E Stewart Jones is doing as such. We tried to get the Alex C Dell law firm to do it, but that might create a conflict of interest. (he's also an ECAC ref)

I can see some white on our boards, though, so there's certainly more room available.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      RPI also recently started sponsoring their power plays, the law firm E Stewart Jones is doing as such. We tried to get the Alex C Dell law firm to do it, but that might create a conflict of interest. (he's also an ECAC ref)

I can see some white on our boards, though, so there's certainly more room available.
      Have you tried to get Hoover or Oreck to sponsor your powerplays?
      Dartmouth College: NCAAs 1948 1949 1960 1979 1980
      University of Massachusetts: NCAAs 2007, ECAC Div. II Champs 1972

"When in doubt, use brute force." -- Ken Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Gainzo View Post
        I can't speak about other schools but the Tsongas Center at UMass Lowell is all about advertising. The ribbon boards show everything from Coors Light to the local Pizza Place. When Lowell is on a power play it is called the "Fred C Church* power play"

We even have a premium seating/exclusive club called the LowellBank Pavilion.

*Fred C Church is a local insurance company.

I can't believe nobody has sued for separation of Church and state.

Sorry, couldn't resist
        I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullmoose View Post
          Have you tried to get Hoover or Oreck to sponsor your powerplays?
          This isn't 2007-08.

Comment

As a marketing major two months away from a degree and a shot at a top 25 MBA degree, this is a subject I have pondered often.

At least at NMU there are two easily distinguishable sectors of college hockey marketing: the university based marketing and the NCAA based marketing.

The university based marketing is the most effective, although NMU's athletic department has a marketing budget that is so low it doesn't really have the chance to become a serious force in the local environment, albeit small.

The demographic informations that you cited earlier is about as irrelevant as information can get, in my opinion. Statistics in this sport as far as crowd don't matter.

For example the average fan at a game in Madison or Minneapolis is probably around 10 years younger than a fan in Marquette or Houghton. This tells us that the promotion necessary across the college hockey spectrum is going to be vastly different per school, although it doesn't mean that a centralized marketing and PR program like College Hockey Inc is worthless; they are just promoting different things.

Hockey Inc is promoting college hockey to current stakeholders and what they target as future stakeholders, such as potential schools for new teams and markets.

So while demographic info is fun and interesting to look at, it couldn't be much more irrelevant to look at.
            Wildcat Hockey!

B.S. NMU 11'
            M.B.A. Marquette University 13'

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
              FD08, I do not recall seeing advertising in any of Yale's athletic facilities, most likely a local or Ivy League preference. They do thank sponsors/supporters on the scoreboard though. I recall Dartmouth a couple of weeks ago with a similar setup. Each rink also had deals with local youth and student groups for the concessions, which are used as fundraisers for those groups. I think the demographic info in the article may be flawed when it comes to "old guard" northeastern schools, we tend to retain our older fan base, if it wasn't for students the average age of attendance at a Yale game would be at least 40.
              And if not for all the kids running around, the average age of a fan at a Yale game is about 65. I've never seen so many old people in a college barn at one time.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildpantswilly View Post
                The demographic informations that you cited earlier is about as irrelevant as information can get, in my opinion. Statistics in this sport as far as crowd don't matter.
                They do if you're trying to convince a company to put up an ad inside your arena. Which is what I thought this thread was about.

Powers &8^]

Comment

I think that schools set in an urban area - BC, BU, Northeastern come to mind - are at a distinct disadvantage. There is so much going on in Boston beyond college sports that men's hockey will never, ever be the #1 attraction. Even at BU, which has no football team and a mediocre basketball team in the worst D1 conference in the country, there are probably only 2-3,000 students (out of, what, 25,000) at a game. At BC, I think hockey outdraws basketball for most games, despite the fact that the school is in the ACC. But at neither school has college hockey captured the imagination of the vast majority of the students.

In rural areas I'd like to compare and contrast my school, UNH, with its rival, Maine. Putting aside the relative merit of the programs today, I would have to say that Maine has run rings around UNH in terms of support state wide. As much as I had issues (to say the least) with Shawn Walsh, when he got to Maine one of his missions was to sell the program to not only the students and alumni, but the state as well. Winning helps obviously, but I would have to say that during Walsh's tenure the state as a whole was, for the first time, aware of college hockey.

Contrast that with New Hampshire which, by and large, is considered a Seacoast University. My wife is from North Conway (1 1/2 hours north) and I have good friends who live in Keene (2 hours west). I can tell you that in those far reaches of New Hampshire, the UNH Hockey brand doesn't reach. The team gets a pretty decent following from Concord and somewhat from the Manchester area, but the brand just doesn't seem register statewide, even in places like Nashua and Salem, both of which are less than an hour from Durham. From my way of thinking the school missed their opportunity several years ago after the Whittemore Center opened and the team first got national recognition. Of course, UNH sells out most games, or at least they did, and I am sure the administration is fat and happy about that. But the chance to sell the brand statewide has been lost in my way of thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                    They do if you're trying to convince a company to put up an ad inside your arena. Which is what I thought this thread was about.
                    The general demo's are still irrelevant. If you tell a local business owner that nationally the average age of a college hockey fan is X yrs old, why would he care?

He's going to ask for a typical ROI of current investors, the amount of alumni, the number of students, and the number of community members typically at a game, and how advertising there will help their company.
                    Wildcat Hockey!

B.S. NMU 11'

Comment

A different type of marketing, but something that caught my eye and attention. I am not a season ticket holder to Yale hockey games but I attend as many as I can and usually order my tickets by mail at the beginning of the season. I do not subscribe to my local newspaper the New Haven Register because I can read it at work on weekdays. Every once in a while and very randomly the New Haven Register newspaper appears on my driveway, printed above the front page byline is "Courtesy of Yale Athletics." It is that courtesy that reminds me of what I enjoy about Yale sports tradition.
                      YALE HOCKEY
                      2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Wildpantswilly View Post
                        The general demo's are still irrelevant. If you tell a local business owner that nationally the average age of a college hockey fan is X yrs old, why would he care?

He's going to ask for a typical ROI of current investors, the amount of alumni, the number of students, and the number of community members typically at a game, and how advertising there will help their company.

You are right that the demos don't make much sense when you are looking at one school at a time. But I think the article hinted at the possibilities of making media buys that could cover groups of schools, and not just one specific school in one specific area. Let's say you are media buyer who is looking to increase market penetration for an affluent/luxury brand, say Porsche. You might consider buying the Whole ECAC, or the whole Hockey East, or (as Porsche does here, buy time on Denver hockey telecasts, since Denver is an affluent school in an affluent city). When you are dealing with multiple team buys, the demographics become more relevant as an averaging tool to evaluate vs other comparable media opportunities, but it would never replace individual school demogrpahics.

Comment

We believe that advertising at the college level makes excellent sense. We are a hockey apparel company that is just starting and our advertising budget is very small. It is not an affordable option to advertise at an NHL rink at this stage of our business. College students are our target customers and placing an ad at a few D3 or D1 rinks could raise awareness of our product offerings.
                          www.sickhockeygear.com

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                            You are right that the demos don't make much sense when you are looking at one school at a time. But I think the article hinted at the possibilities of making media buys that could cover groups of schools, and not just one specific school in one specific area. Let's say you are media buyer who is looking to increase market penetration for an affluent/luxury brand, say Porsche. You might consider buying the Whole ECAC, or the whole Hockey East, or (as Porsche does here, buy time on Denver hockey telecasts, since Denver is an affluent school in an affluent city). When you are dealing with multiple team buys, the demographics become more relevant as an averaging tool to evaluate vs other comparable media opportunities, but it would never replace individual school demogrpahics.
                            This is an excellent point!

What I was trying to say is using the information to make general assumptions as to what the makeup of the college hockey demographic is is pointless.

Using it the way you are saying is a very interesting way to market a product, and could be very useful from a business perspective. Studies show hockey fans to be more affluent than most other sports fans, and while advertising to "well-off' alumns at schools like Yale or other ECAC schools, while also marketing to the coveted 18-24 demo, building brand recognition. It would also be very cost effective considering the obscurity that surronds a lot of hockey programs in D-1.
                            Wildcat Hockey!

B.S. NMU 11'

Comment

Adult college hockey fans are 69 percent male and 31 percent female, according to Scarborough Research.
                              So, you're saying that, statistically, I'm not finding my dream girl at Munn Ice Arena nor at any other college hockey barn.

Excuse me while I find a nice corner of my apartment to go weep in.
                              Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
                              66 - 86 - 07
                              59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
                              59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Originally posted by Sick Hockey Gear View Post
                                We believe that advertising at the college level makes excellent sense. We are a hockey apparel company that is just starting and our advertising budget is very small. It is not an affordable option to advertise at an NHL rink at this stage of our business. College students are our target customers and placing an ad at a few D3 or D1 rinks could raise awareness of our product offerings.
                                www.sickhockeygear.com
                                Are there any teams that wear your gear? I would think that that would raise the most awareness. Add maybe a small ad on either the team's website or printed program stating that the team wears your gear.

Comment

Working...
                                X