Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Alaska Airlines Governors Cup UA vs. UAA Feb 25th & Feb 26th

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    Something very akin to the early 90's heyday of UAA.
    Definitely. Remember when UAA and UA_ used to play each other numerous times a season? I remember fights breaking out in the crowds on occasion when Fairbanks came to town. I still remember the fight between Jimmy Mayes and a UA_ player. Those were intense games.
    Originally Posted by aparch
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

I'm not sore about anything. I'm geniunely concerned about where things are going, because they are leading to a level of violence on a mass scale unless something is done.
      Oh how awful that might be. To think about a couple of hundred UA_ fans at the Sully getting beaten to a bloddy pulp by hundreds of UAA fans just upsets me to no end.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
        Oh how awful that might be. To think about a couple of hundred UA_ fans at the Sully getting beaten to a bloddy pulp by hundreds of UAA fans just upsets me to no end.
        Not so much about that as to what the reaction from the Athletic Departments would be when it's plastered around TV and the 'net that their fans are brawling in the stands.

I have visions of people being ejection for yelling anything other than "Go Team!".
        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

I think it gives a bit more info to all of us brainstorming solutions to avoiding a shootout. Getting a sense of how things went in the past gives us an idea of what to do in the future. And to look at it, ties are not rare but not common only 7 out of 34 years has ended with a tie (20.6%) but with the two game series it's happened 4 out of 7.

As a personal opinion, I would like to see the Governor's Cup record extended to the beginning as it's a bit daft to ignore 14 seasons of history, there is only two seasons where a tie would have to be resolved and using Goals Scored is a sensible one.

As for the future there are a few options:
          1. The status quo of using the shootout to break ties, which seems to be unpopular on both sides.
          2. The Gold Pan example, if there is a tie then whoever won it previously keeps it. The problem is is that only works with a four game series, with a two game series a team can keep it by winning one game? That's lamer than a shootout.
          3. Using an OT instead of a shootout
          4. My idea: Use goals scored as the first tiebreaker, if tied still play a 10 or 20 minute OT, if still tied then a shootout.
          I like your idea about the goal diff. I would rather see a third game, but it won't happen. Playing an extra period right after a game, is basically the same as having a shootout (my opinion).I agree it's more of an "on the ice" way of deciding it, but if either team is being dominated on a particular night (we just witnessed that in both games this past week), it's not really going to be a great deciding tool. Besides a few die hard fans of UA/UAA on this forum, the majority of casual fans really like the shootouts. The CCHA will never get rid of them because of that. I saw a poll awhile back (I forget where), but the over whelming majority of CCHA fans liked the shootouts.....same for NHL fans. So I like goal diff, and if that is tied, then they should just have a shootout. I also wish the games were earlier in the season. Playing these games right before the playoffs really sets up a situation where you can end up with hurt confidence, or worse yet…… a hurt player.
          All that was left, then, was for the Nanooks to celebrate with their fans. And for the Seawolves to get one last earful of the rowdies from Fairbanks.

"I've got a lot of expletives I'd like to use,'' Fournier said, slumped in his locker room stall. "It's very embarrassing when you're playing on your home ice and they have more fans and they're louder.

"We might as well have played the games in Fairbanks.''

Comment

Working...
          X