X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MaizeRage
    replied
    Re: Canadian College into NCAA Div 2

The biggest problem is potentially that conference affiliation requirement for a team to play up in D-1 once they end the moratorium. Now that we've realigned the conferences with 12 teams each, I don't see them expanding for a very long time.

You'd need at least three Canadian schools that wanted to make the D-1 jump along with the two Alaska schools just to think about starting a conference.

Leave a comment:

• MikeAnderson
    replied

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
    If by chance Canada has two to three D2 college programs who want to play D1 hockey they should go to the NCAA as a group and ask for them to reconsider the bylaws.
    I'd be interested in seeing what happened the last time the NCAA instituted the Division II NC in the early 90s and what the driving forces were within the division, be it new programs sprouting up or a push by Division I (and III) to get the "foreigners" out of their division.

I believe the threshhold is now 50 participating programs to including a divisional championship for an existing sport. We are, obviously, nowhere near that, even if you kick all (and I mean all) of the play-up institutions back to their all-sport divisions.

Leave a comment:

• 4four4
    replied

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
    I sure hope so, it would be pretty dang asinine for the NCAA to not allow D2 schools to have D1 Hockey if they chose to have the sport.
    If by chance Canada has two to three D2 college programs who want to play D1 hockey they should go to the NCAA as a group and ask for them to reconsider the bylaws.

Anything can happen but if they did it that way the would have a better chance of playing up.

Leave a comment:

• bigmrg74
    replied

Originally posted by MikeAnderson View Post
    Not before July 1, 2011 at the absolute earliest.

Pure speculation: The "play-up" option will go away* except for the low-participation sports: ice hockey, field hockey, m/w lacrosse, swimming and diving.

Sports like rifle, skiing, water polo, men's volleyball, bowling, etc. are non-divisional, so they don't really count.

* With existing programs being grandfathered in, of course.
    I sure hope so, it would be pretty dang asinine for the NCAA to not allow D2 schools to have D1 Hockey if they chose to have the sport.

Leave a comment:

• MikeAnderson
    replied

So, they're not going to let any more D2 schools be able to start up a D1 hockey program?? That blows chunks!!!
    Not before July 1, 2011 at the absolute earliest.

Pure speculation: The "play-up" option will go away* except for the low-participation sports: ice hockey, field hockey, m/w lacrosse, swimming and diving.

Sports like rifle, skiing, water polo, men's volleyball, bowling, etc. are non-divisional, so they don't really count.

* With existing programs being grandfathered in, of course.
    Last edited by MikeAnderson; 07-15-2009, 01:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• scsutommyboy
    replied

So, they're not going to let any more D2 schools be able to start up a D1 hockey program?? That blows chunks!!!
    As of now. They still could lift the ban down the line if they so choose.

Leave a comment:

• bigmrg74
    replied

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Posted this over @ the D-II/III forum

Leave a comment:

• Larch
    replied

Originally posted by Goon View Post
    I am surprised he didn't say North Dakota. Yikes!
    I think we all were. That's what probably killed this thread.

Leave a comment:

• Goon
    replied

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
    Denver has only eight Canadians this year, less than 1/3 of the roster.
    I am surprised he didn't say North Dakota. Yikes!

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied

Posted this over @ the D-II/III forum

Membership panel confirms policies for Canadian applicants

Jul 13, 2009 9:22:32 AM
    By Gary Brown
    The NCAA News

In addition to determining the status of institutions progressing through the membership process, the Division II Membership Committee approved a policy requiring Canadian institutions applying for Division II membership to follow NCAA rules in all varsity sports, even those for which an NCAA championship is not offered.

The issue pertains primarily to ice hockey, for which Division II does not offer a championship but which many Canadian institutions sponsor. Current NCAA legislation (Constitution 3.2.4.4) applies NCAA bylaws and other legislation to any sport the institution sponsors as “varsity.”

At least one Canadian school considering NCAA membership has asked whether its men’s ice hockey program would be subject to NCAA requirements even though there isn’t a Division II championship and there currently is no opportunity for a Canadian institution to sponsor a sport at the NCAA Division I level.

The Membership Committee reviewed the matter but eventually agreed that any sport classified as varsity must meet the rules and regulations of that division regardless of whether that sport has access to an NCAA championship.

The action became necessary when the Division II membership at the 2008 Convention facilitated NCAA membership from Canadian schools. Division II is the only division to have taken advantage of an NCAA Executive Committee-approved pilot program to consider four-year Canadian institutions as potential NCAA members.

Simon Fraser, located in Burnaby, British Columbia, officially applied for Division II membership this year and will enter year one of the candidacy period September 1. Simon Fraser does not sponsor ice hockey.

The Membership Committee also approved another matter pertaining to prospective Canadian members, which is when and under what circumstances Canadian institutions are required to convert their financial figures to United States dollars to confirm whether those institutions are complying with Title IX and EADA reporting requirements.

Committee members voted to require Canadian institutions to convert their expenditures from Canadian to United States dollars on May 1 (using the conversion rate published by the United States Treasury) for the purpose of reporting expenditures on their athletics teams.

In other action at the Membership Committee’s July 7-9 meeting, members:

•Noted that the deadline for applications from prospective member institutions will change over the next two years. The usual June 1 deadline will be in place for 2010 but will change to December 1 afterward. That allows for two deadlines in 2010 (June 1 and December 1), and the Membership Committee will review applications at its July 2010 and February 2011 meetings.

•Voted to require institutions in the membership process to file applications and annual reports electronically in addition to submitting a hard copy to the national office.

•Approved a request from Hawaii-Hilo to waive the two-year reclassification period for moving its baseball team from Division I to Division II.

Leave a comment:

• bigmrg74
    replied

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    SFU won't have Title IX either, but being in Canada, they probably have a ton more equality regs to comply with.

If one of the Canadian schools takes the NCAA to court (or vice versa), where do they go?
    True, they won't have to deal with Title IX itself per say from the US goverment, but just to compete in a US conference under jurististiction of an association thats US based, they'll be more or less complying with it, even thought they don't technecially have to comply with Title IX.

as for a Canadian university taking the NCAA to court, somebody would need to go find a lawyer for that one.

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied

Originally posted by busterman62 View Post
    Anyone care to wager how long it will take for the NC$$ to rule this nickname as "hostile and abusive?"
    SFU won't have Title IX either, but being in Canada, they probably have a ton more equality regs to comply with.

If one of the Canadian schools takes the NCAA to court (or vice versa), where do they go?

Leave a comment:

• Puck Swami
    replied

Originally posted by Happy View Post
    When I want to see a Canadian school play ncaa, I just watch Denver.

Denver has only eight Canadians this year, less than 1/3 of the roster.

Leave a comment:

• Squarebanks
    replied

As an alumnus of a GNAC-affiliated university, this has been talked about for a while now, although the consensus rumor was the UBC (U. of British Columbia) would join Simon Fraser in applying for membership.

The GNAC recently lost Seattle U. to D-1, so having a school up the road in Vancouver makes sense geographically.

Personally, I'm looking forward to it. I say let 'em play.

Originally posted by Bruce Ciskie View Post
    Um, guys...

Simon Fraser doesn't offer hockey as a varsity sport. If we're going to test the "play-up" moratorium for a hockey program, it's going to have to be a different school.

I'm interested, though, to see if anyone follows SFU.
    I'm pretty sure UBC has a varsity hockey team; if my memory is correct they've played UAF and UAA in exhibitions.

Leave a comment:

• Happy
    replied

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
    Great for SFU.

Would love to see more Canadian schools playing in the NCAA, and hopefully, someday in D-I. With Title IX and high start-up costs conspiring to restrict the growth of college hockey stateside, the upside of adding more hockey savvy, established programs to our sport is a compelling alternative to the no-growth, (and some might say decline) of the college game.
    When I want to see a Canadian school play ncaa, I just watch Denver. and, I expect even more damage ahead from title 9, since the ratio of women to men in college is rapidly slewing towards the fairer gender, and title 9 is just anti-male quotas to begin with.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X