Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harvard & Dartmouth @ RPI & Union (1/21, 1/22)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Harvard & Dartmouth @ RPI & Union (1/21, 1/22)

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
    We haven't heard much from Dartmouth fans on this thread, but let it be noted that the Big Green actually have a better record on the road than at home and are coming off a victory over seventh-ranked New Hampshire.

These guys are not coming to the Capital District with the idea that they are going to meekly submit to being swept.
    We haven't heard much?
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

lines are out http://www.rpiathletics.com/document...910.pdf?id=956
      Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Two words... Bryan Hicks. Comm Hagwell should be concerned because the integrity of his league is starting to become an issue. The bias against RPI is obvious by just looking at the box score. I don't want to be mean or untoward but the league needs to examine it's relationship with Mr. Stewart because this was a travesty tonight. Bryan Hicks clearly has a bias against this team and our great coach.
        "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Dartmouth has a good team....union prob had their worst game of the year...well definitely worst ten minutes and green took advantage.....goalie is very good.....go get them rpi....

Comment

Dartmouth fan here... a few days too late. Dunno if previous games are discussed on here, but here are my thoughts and a question for RPI fans...

I went to the Saturday afternoon game at Houston Field House. Place looked kinda empty, but someone told me that students were still on a break, and I guess 4 pm puck drop set back the attendance some too.

I thought for RPI Polacek was the key to the game. He was all over the ice, a very dynamic player. Our top defensive pair would've had time stopping him even if it was intact, so, with the absence of Stejskal (who had a flu and wasn't even dressed) we really couldn't slow him down. Besides Polacek, I thought RPI played a good tight defense-- many blocked shots. Post played very well for York on a couple of occasions...

Oh well, as much as it hurts, I'll take getting swept in regular season, as this is a good RPI team. Hopefully we'll pay you right back in playoffs (like you did to us in 09).

Now, question for the RPI fans. Last time I was in HFH (Fall 2008, twice -- once for UMass, once for Dartmouth) you had all sorts of cool banners hanging over the entrance. That has been replaced by luxury seating. Will the banners be re-hung someplace in the arena, or is the RPI adopting the Bill Belichik style in removing all the articles of past glory out of sight in hope that that will lead back to success?
            Dartmouth College: NCAAs 1948 1949 1960 1979 1980
            University of Massachusetts: NCAAs 2007, ECAC Div. II Champs 1972

"When in doubt, use brute force." -- Ken Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Bullmoose View Post
              I went to the Saturday afternoon game at Houston Field House. Place looked kinda empty, but someone told me that students were still on a break, and I guess 4 pm puck drop set back the attendance some too.
              Indeed, classes don't start for the semester until tomorrow, so the bulk of the current students (as well as the band) were not there for the games this weekend.

Now, question for the RPI fans. Last time I was in HFH (Fall 2008, twice -- once for UMass, once for Dartmouth) you had all sorts of cool banners hanging over the entrance. That has been replaced by luxury seating. Will the banners be re-hung someplace in the arena, or is the RPI adopting the Bill Belichik style in removing all the articles of past glory out of sight in hope that that will lead back to success?
              I don't think any of us actually have an answer to that question. I'm personally hoping we see them (or updated versions of them perhaps) brought back and hung from the east end (big blue curtain), over the ice, or somewhere else. I really like the banners that Yale put up when they redid the Whale; I wouldn't mind at all seeing a nice set of redesigned banners like that come to HFH as part of the renovations.
              APBWiki

Comment

Originally posted by GRussinko View Post
                I don't think any of us actually have an answer to that question. I'm personally hoping we see them (or updated versions of them perhaps) brought back and hung from the east end (big blue curtain), over the ice, or somewhere else. I really like the banners that Yale put up when they redid the Whale; I wouldn't mind at all seeing a nice set of redesigned banners like that come to HFH as part of the renovations.
                I assume that you are referring to the NCAA and ECAC championship banners and the Ring of Honor towels (and the women's club championship one also). I would be very surprised if they don't come back, perhaps indeed redesigned. Something will have to be done when Garry Kearns joins the Ring of Honor later this season.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Yes, I was referring to the NCAA championship banners, the Adam Oates retired number, the Harkness banner, and whatever else was there...

So the renovation is ongoing? Besides the new scoreboard and the luxury balcony (and removal of banners), has anything else been done? What's the time-line for completion? I think HFH is a great facility to watch a hockey game, very old-school, in an awesome as opposed to decrepit kind-of-way. What they really should do is organize parking a little bit better...

Comment

Yes, I was referring to the NCAA championship banners, the Adam Oates retired number, the Harkness banner, and whatever else was there...

So the renovation is ongoing? Besides the new scoreboard and the luxury balcony (and removal of banners), has anything else been done? What's the time-line for completion? I think HFH is a great facility to watch a hockey game, very old-school, in an awesome as opposed to decrepit kind-of-way. What they really should do is organize parking a little bit better...
                    I'll let someone who attends regularly comment on the renovation time-line. I just want to say that RPI hasn't retired any numbers. Indeed Oates's 12 is currently in use. Those players and (Harkness as a coach) have banners showing that they have been inducted into the Ring of Honor.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

It's pretty close to complete at this point. Along with the VIP seating in that new area are coaches offices and a video review room. Just noticed this weekend that the above-goal cameras are installed but they may have been there for a while and I didn't see them. Miscellaneous renovation work involved repainting the roof structure and replacing the lighting over the ice to improve the light level on the ice, the big glass front facade to the building (restoring it to its original appearance), aesthetic upgrades to the lobby and ticket office, and a new campus-wide ticketing system free from the grubby claws of Ticketmaster.

This all follows a project a couple years ago which completely renovated the locker rooms, team rooms, and other areas which are mostly behind the scenes and off-limits to fans.

There's still an upgrade to the sound system in the works to go with the new video board, but rumor has it that's been put off a year or two due to lack of budget. The concessions stand was also displaced from its home due to the construction and has been operating in temporary digs so I would hope there's a fix in store for that as well.
                      APBWiki

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                        I'll let someone who attends regularly comment on the renovation time-line. I just want to say that RPI hasn't retired any numbers. Indeed Oates's 12 is currently in use. Those players and (Harkness as a coach) have banners showing that they have been inducted into the Ring of Honor.
                        Ahh, allright. I guess Harvard may be the only ECAC school with a retired number, though I could be wrong. Thanks for correcting me, as I've always thought that RPI retired Oates's number.

Originally posted by GRussinko View Post
                        It's pretty close to complete at this point. Along with the VIP seating in that new area are coaches offices and a video review room. Just noticed this weekend that the above-goal cameras are installed but they may have been there for a while and I didn't see them. Miscellaneous renovation work involved repainting the roof structure and replacing the lighting over the ice to improve the light level on the ice, the big glass front facade to the building (restoring it to its original appearance), aesthetic upgrades to the lobby and ticket office, and a new campus-wide ticketing system free from the grubby claws of Ticketmaster.

This all follows a project a couple years ago which completely renovated the locker rooms, team rooms, and other areas which are mostly behind the scenes and off-limits to fans.

There's still an upgrade to the sound system in the works to go with the new video board, but rumor has it that's been put off a year or two due to lack of budget. The concessions stand was also displaced from its home due to the construction and has been operating in temporary digs so I would hope there's a fix in store for that as well.
                        Thanks for the comprehensive report!

The facade does look nice. I've never seen it in the light of day before.

Comment

Others have covered this pretty well already, but there's one more reason that I suspect they'll be back. I remember hearing that shortly after Seth Appert started as a head coach, he had large pictures (life-size, maybe?) of the 1954 and 1985 championship teams put up in the hallway to/from the home locker room. It's a small thing, but it points in the opposite direction if anything - he seems to be using the past success as encouragement to get back up to that level.
                          RPI '08, UW '09. Let's go RED!

Comment

Working...
                          X