Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Riverstone Cup X: Dartmouth v. #4 UNH in Manchester, NH (VWA)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Riverstone Cup X: Dartmouth v. #4 UNH in Manchester, NH (VWA)

Originally posted by ClOuD 9 View Post
    I'd love to see them move the Riverstone to when classes are in session to help give it more of a college feel and atmosphere, I imagine it would help attendance a little too, but if I remember correctly the student buses from Durham to Manchester were pretty costly. Couldn't hurt to promote it at UNH-Manchester.
    Rob:

Just last week at the UML game, Casey and I were talking about the buses. What I dont get is this: they're paying to send the band to Manchester on a bus anyway (I should know . . .). At best, the band will fill 25-30 of the 55 seats on this bus. Why wouldn't you sell the other 25 seats, at $5 or $10 a seat anyway? Whether you sell those seats or not, athletics still has to pay to send the bus. Selling those seats allows you to make back at least some of the money you spend on the bus, and also allows you to send 25 or so students to the game.

UNH did a pretty good job selling these tickets, for students, at $5 a pop. I know a lot of kids from the Manchester area that are going to be at this game, because it was so cheap. If UNH sold the students a package deal: ticket and bus ride from campus, $10 / $15, they could sell the students tickets right next to the band. It serves many purposes; more students, more noise (putting them with the band means more cheering voices together) and hey, having them ride the bus together can't hurt 'student / band' relations . . .

I intend to e-mail this to Amber, but not right in the midst of hockey season. Something for her to muse over during the down time of June.

This would be a great topic of conversation for, oh, a Wildcat Fan Focus Group . . . ;-)
    I haven't been on here in a year...
    Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

Comment

Originally posted by unhpuckfan2001 View Post
      ...If UNH sold the students a package deal: ticket and bus ride from campus, $10 / $15...
      Not disagreeing with anything you wrote, and it wouldn't cost anything for UNH to do this, but I question how many students would take advantage of the deal. There is a feeling that games at the Whitt are free to students because they don't relate picking up a "free" ticket to the fee charge in their semester's bill. Students are also used to "free" Wildcat transit to Dover, Newmarket and Portsmouth. I suspect not many would pay for what they normally get for free. Frankly if the game was during the semester, I don't think many would invest the the 6 hours of time to leave campus to watch a game compared to the amount of time invested to watch a game on campus.
      I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Does anyone know if this game is being webcast anywhere so we can link up and watch it. It is not on the Wildcat TV schedule. thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
          Not disagreeing with anything you wrote, and it wouldn't cost anything for UNH to do this, but I question how many students would take advantage of the deal. There is a feeling that games at the Whitt are free to students because they don't relate picking up a "free" ticket to the fee charge in their semester's bill. Students are also used to "free" Wildcat transit to Dover, Newmarket and Portsmouth. I suspect not many would pay for what they normally get for free. Frankly if the game was during the semester, I don't think many would invest the the 6 hours of time to leave campus to watch a game compared to the amount of time invested to watch a game on campus.
          I disagree; when UNH still had their own charter fleet, the price for a student to take the bus to Boston for Hockey East, and to Manchester for these games, the cost was $5, and then upped to $10, and students filled two or three buses. It might take a while to catch on, but I think if UNH sells it, they'll ride again. It was obviously much more of a novelty, but UNH students filled EIGHT coach buses for the football game at Gilette.

Comment

Congrats, Big Green. Good game by your guys. We'll get it back next year.
            We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found ourselves than by those which have occurred to others.
            ---Blaise Pascal

When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.
            --Richard Dawkins

UNH Wildcats: Winners, 20XX NCAA Men's Hockey National Championship

Comment

Originally posted by goblue View Post
              Congrats, Big Green. Good game by your guys. We'll get it back next year.
              Thanks! I was the one with the large green Dartmouth flag in 109... apparently they showed it quite a lot on the jumbotron...

Did anyone else think that the first Dartmouth play they reviewed? I had a pretty clear vantage point and I though the puck went in and bounced off the center support... I wonder at the quality of cameras in the AHL... Oh well, we got that back on the last goal, which I thought was very close to having been scored with a high stick...

Great game. This year my girl and I got seats in the Dartmouth allocation. Thus, older UNH fans weren't yelling "sit down" at us when Dartmouth scored.

Crowd was very good, and definitely pro-UNH. The U-N-H chant was very audible.
              Dartmouth College: NCAAs 1948 1949 1960 1979 1980
              University of Massachusetts: NCAAs 2007, ECAC Div. II Champs 1972

"When in doubt, use brute force." -- Ken Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by ClOuD 9 View Post
                Previous Nine Results:
                12-13-01 UNH 6 Dartmouth 3 Attendance: 10,053
                1-15-03 UNH 1 Dartmouth 1 Attendance: 10,104
                1-13-04 UNH 5 Dartmouth 0 Attendance: 10,104
                1-12-05 Dartmouth 9 UNH 8 Attendance: 9,405
                1-14-06 UNH 5 Dartmouth 4 Attendance: 7,018
                1-13-07 UNH 4 Dartmouth 2 Attendance: 9,640
                1-19-08 Dartmouth 5 UNH 3 Attendance: 8,654
                1-17-09 UNH 6 Dartmouth 4 Attendance: 8,001
                1-16-10 UNH 5 Dartmouth 2 Attendance: 7,573
                1-15-11 Dartmouth 5 UNH 4 Attendance: 7,704
                "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
                Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
                NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
                EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
                AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
                1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Athletics posted a video to their facebook from a pre-game alumni event at the Radisson where Umile says UNH will be going up to Dartmouth to participate in their Christmas tourney "in a couple years" but will still be having the Riverstone.
                  "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
                  Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
                  NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
                  EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
                  AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
                  1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by Bullmoose View Post
                    Thanks! I was the one with the large green Dartmouth flag in 109... apparently they showed it quite a lot on the jumbotron...

Did anyone else think that the first Dartmouth play they reviewed? I had a pretty clear vantage point and I though the puck went in and bounced off the center support... I wonder at the quality of cameras in the AHL... Oh well, we got that back on the last goal, which I thought was very close to having been scored with a high stick...

Great game. This year my girl and I got seats in the Dartmouth allocation. Thus, older UNH fans weren't yelling "sit down" at us when Dartmouth scored.

Crowd was very good, and definitely pro-UNH. The U-N-H chant was very audible.
                    I was impressed with the fact that despite how many fewer Dartmouth fans there were, you sat together and made noise (was directly across from you in 119).

I think the refs got the calls right on the goals . . . penalties, not so much (the Goumas 'embellishement' was right in front of me).

UNH fans shouldn't tell you sit down when your teams scores, at least not until play resumes.

Patting myself on the back: I started the very loud UNH chant late in the third period; I wish it worked that well at the Whit. It was nice to hear almost the entire building chanting.

Comment

Originally posted by unhpuckfan2001 View Post
                      I was impressed with the fact that despite how many fewer Dartmouth fans there were, you sat together and made noise (was directly across from you in 119).

I think the refs got the calls right on the goals . . . penalties, not so much (the Goumas 'embellishement' was right in front of me).

UNH fans shouldn't tell you sit down when your teams scores, at least not until play resumes.

Patting myself on the back: I started the very loud UNH chant late in the third period; I wish it worked that well at the Whit. It was nice to hear almost the entire building chanting.
                      I recall that chant and it was very cool to hear in the Verizon. Let's do it in the Regionals.

Comment

Working...
                      X