RIP Tom Cavanagh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Tom Cavanagh

I just saw this, and thought those in the Harvard/ECAC community would want to know. Very sadhttp://nhl.fanhouse.com/2011/01/08/t...-rhode-island/
    SCSU Hockey: 2001 WCHA Playoff Champions, 2013 WCHA Champions & Frozen Four, 2014 NCHC Champions, 2016 NCHC Playoff Champions
    UMD Women: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2010
    Gopher Football: 1934, 1935, 1936, 1940, 1941, 1960
    Johnnie Football: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003
    UMD Football: 2008, 2010
    UMD Men: 2011

Such a tragedy.

Tom wasn't the fastest guy on the ice, wasn't the flashiest, and certainly wasn't the biggest....but he was so steady, dependable, and capable in both zones. He did all of the little things that don't show up on the box score, a real throwback in this day and age. I loved watching him play!

He led Harvard to the NCAAs in each of his four seasons and I remember being floored after learning that he played half of his senior year at Harvard with a torn ACL.

My Dad played on the Harvard tennis team with Joe Cavanagh, Tom's Dad, who was one of the best to ever lace them up for the Crimson.

My heart goes out to his parents and his brothers who must be devastated by this.

Comment

Re: RIP Tom Cavanagh

I watched him play at Toll Gate High in the state championships and then for Harvard when they played Brown for four years. Unbelievable tragedy. The Cavanagh family is a staple of Rhode Island hockey, and I wish them the best and hope they can recuperate from this shocking misfortune.

Comment

A tragedy. Tom was a heck of a college hockey player. My prayers are with his family.
        ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Tom was a hard working player who gave 150% every shift. There are no words to describe my feelings at this moment. As a kid, I remember listening to his dad and uncle playing for Harvard and what immense pleasure they must have derived from watching young Tom lace 'em up for the Crimson. My thoughts and prayers are with the family.

Comment

Joe Cavanagh was a 3-time All American hockey legend at Harvard in the early 70s, and I'm sure it must have been a real challenge for his son Tom to follow Joe as a hockey player at H. Tom turned out to be an exceptional college player himself, and to make it to the NHL and actually go farther in hockey than his Dad did was quite an achievement for Tom.

Very sad for the whole family, and tragic end to a promising young life.

Comment

My thoughts and prayers for Mr. Cavanagh and his family, may he now find peace .
              YALE HOCKEY
              2013 National Champions

Comment

Nice kid and nice family. My sympathy to all the family, especially uncle Father Dave Cavanagh, probably his biggest fan.

Comment

A story about Tom's life and career appears in today's Providence Journal:
                  Hockey star Tom Cavanagh remembered as ‘coach’s dream’

Comment

heartbreaking........God bless him and his family

Comment

I was very saddened to read the news about Tom Cavanagh this morning. My thoughts and prayers go out to Joe and his family.

It was the summer of 1971 when I worked with Joe Cavanagh at the Hyannisport Country Club. We chummed around a bit with the other college students who worked there that summer and I can still remember playing golf with Joe at the club and how Joe played tennis with Ted Kennedy pretty much every day. That was a great summer.

As a parent, I can not imagine the pain of losing a child this way.
                      Last edited by e.cat; 01-09-2011, 11:50 AM. Reason: spelling
                      UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Working...
                      X