Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clarkson & St. Lawrence @ RPI & Union (1/7, 1/8)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Clarkson & St. Lawrence @ RPI & Union (1/7, 1/8)

Originally posted by Havasu M View Post
    Refs Kotyra & Feola handed out over 130 minutes in penalties in tues Clarkson UMD game. Anyone share what that was all about?
    I don't think Kotyra really likes CCT all that much.

Taking a look at the scoresheet, looks like a Broad Street Bullies game.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
      I am praying that we do not get that duo for either game this weekend. Our overall record with Kotyra on the ice is just abyssmal.
      According to RPI's game notes for this weekend (http://rpiathletics.com/documents/20...110.pdf?id=968) we get John Murphy and Robert St. Lawrence on Friday, and John Murphy and Joe Carusone on Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
        No, you know what's weak? Failing to show up to a game in your own rink when you're playing your rivals who are bringing their band. That's weak.
        Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see the band at the Clarkson game as much as anyone else. But a group of people not affiliated with the band complaining about how much better the band was an arbitrary number of years ago isn't going to make that happen.

No one's asking for the full complement, we're only asking the band to give a **** instead of demanding credit.
        This is just ridiculous. Clearly the band gives a ****. They attend more games than anyone except for the team itself and the most die hard of fans, no matter how the team performs, and are a huge part of the home ice advantage at the Field House. They've been doing that for almost 90 years despite almost complete turnover every 4 years. If the band didn't give a **** membership would fall to nothing and there wouldn't be a band anymore.

There has always been a subset of the band that would go to every game if even if the band was going to play at that game. And there was a small group planning on being at this weekend's games, before anyone contacted the band this week. There's also always a subset that only shows up for the big games. That's just how things are.

Also, (at least for the past 10 years), although "it's break so we won't be there" isn't the approach the band has taken in the past, it doesn't mean that that was the approach taken here. Just because nothing was discussed over email doesn't mean it wasn't discussed in person. Not to mention that the band asking who is available over breaks isn't a guarantee that the band will play at any games over break. Traditionally the band requires at least 10 players to sound good enough, or they won't play. That was likely the case for this weekend.

And I can't remember a single instance of the band "demanding credit", if that has even ever happened.

These are not children. They are adults who are able to make their own decisions, and those decisions can be criticized.
        Fair enough.

If you have no loyalty whatsoever to the band's mission, then what are you even doing in the band?
        So what exactly is the band's mission, or what do you think it should be (or both)?

To welch out like this is to tell the fans, to tell the team, that you don't really care, and you're only going to show up when it's convenient to show up. Failing to show up when the opposition is bringing a band is to put an emphasis on not caring.
        No. If the band was run by the Athletics Department I'd agree with you, but what I think this says is that the band is prone to making mistakes just like the rest of us. So let them not show up, catch some real flak from a much larger number of people, and they won't make that mistake again. If you really think the band is in as poor shape as you say it is, making the band scrape together a skeleton crew for one game is like putting a band-aid on a broken leg - they'll make the same mistakes down the road, and you'll have to keep yelling at them. If they are adults as you say they are (and I agree with you), you should let them make their own mistakes and fix their own problems.
        RPI '08

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
          We already know we have a good team and an exciting team. This weekend we find out if we are in the higher echelon of the ECAC(top 4). We need to show we can beat ECAC teams coming into our home. Go RED!!
          Red Cloud back in the game...I'm all giddy !!!!!!
          What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by trick_trickster View Post
            Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see the band at the Clarkson game as much as anyone else. But a group of people not affiliated with the band complaining about how much better the band was an arbitrary number of years ago isn't going to make that happen.
            I'm a band alum. I fail to see how that makes me "not affiliated with the band." Three or four years doesn't seem terribly arbitrary, either.

This is just ridiculous. Clearly the band gives a ****. They attend more games than anyone except for the team itself and the most die hard of fans, no matter how the team performs, and are a huge part of the home ice advantage at the Field House.
            This is clearly false, since there are a lot of milquetoast fans who show up to every game.

They've been doing that for almost 90 years despite almost complete turnover every 4 years. If the band didn't give a **** membership would fall to nothing and there wouldn't be a band anymore.
            So you're saying that even if the band only started giving a **** about itself, membership would fall to nothing? That doesn't seem realistic.

There has always been a subset of the band that would go to every game if even if the band was going to play at that game. And there was a small group planning on being at this weekend's games, before anyone contacted the band this week. There's also always a subset that only shows up for the big games. That's just how things are.
            Explain to me why there have, then, been games this season and a high number of games last season where there was no band whatsoever.

Also, (at least for the past 10 years), although "it's break so we won't be there" isn't the approach the band has taken in the past, it doesn't mean that that was the approach taken here. Just because nothing was discussed over email doesn't mean it wasn't discussed in person. Not to mention that the band asking who is available over breaks isn't a guarantee that the band will play at any games over break. Traditionally the band requires at least 10 players to sound good enough, or they won't play. That was likely the case for this weekend.
            More excuses.

And I can't remember a single instance of the band "demanding credit", if that has even ever happened.
            It's how this whole thing got started.

So what exactly is the band's mission, or what do you think it should be (or both)?
            The band's mission is excessively simple. They exist for the express purpose of supporting RPI football and hockey (and when possible, other sports).

No. If the band was run by the Athletics Department I'd agree with you, but what I think this says is that the band is prone to making mistakes just like the rest of us. So let them not show up, catch some real flak from a much larger number of people, and they won't make that mistake again. If you really think the band is in as poor shape as you say it is, making the band scrape together a skeleton crew for one game is like putting a band-aid on a broken leg - they'll make the same mistakes down the road, and you'll have to keep yelling at them. If they are adults as you say they are (and I agree with you), you should let them make their own mistakes and fix their own problems.
            None of this refutes my main point - allowing another team's band to come to your building without having any semblance of a band whatsoever is not only a failure, it places an absolute emphasis on the fact that the band simply does not care when it's not convenient. It's easy to show up when you just have to walk up the hill take a shuttle to the game. Are you a band, or are you a collection of individuals? Rest in peace, America's Pep Band - 1924-2010.

Part of being an adult means accepting criticism and understanding that you are not perfect and others may take issue with what you do or what you fail to do.
            Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

I'm a band alum. I fail to see how that makes me "not affiliated with the band." Three or four years doesn't seem terribly arbitrary, either.
              As am I, but unless you're still playing with the band I don't consider you affiliated with it.

This is clearly false, since there are a lot of milquetoast fans who show up to every game.
              This has nothing to do with the band giving a ****.

So you're saying that even if the band only started giving a **** about itself, membership would fall to nothing? That doesn't seem realistic.
              Probably because I failed so much at writing what I meant to say - that the band giving a **** is more than just the Clarkson game.

Explain to me why there have, then, been games this season and a high number of games last season where there was no band whatsoever.
              Give me a few examples of when there hasn't been a band. If those games were during breaks then I've already explained myself.

More excuses.
              Clarification on my part, and wild speculation on your part. You don't know why they weren't planning on being there.

It's how this whole thing got started.
              Show me. I see nothing.

The band's mission is excessively simple. They exist for the express purpose of supporting RPI football and hockey (and when possible, other sports).
              Well then, mission accomplished.

None of this refutes my main point - allowing another team's band to come to your building without having any semblance of a band whatsoever is not only a failure, it places an absolute emphasis on the fact that the band simply does not care when it's not convenient. It's easy to show up when you just have to walk up the hill take a shuttle to the game. Are you a band, or are you a collection of individuals? Rest in peace, America's Pep Band - 1924-2010.
              Agreed that it's a failure, but not that the band doesn't care when it's not convenient. Travel, lodging, and money are all big hurdles to get over. If the Institute provided any of these things for the band I'd be more inclined to agree with you. But they don't. It's usually tough to get even a small band for break games because of this, and that has nothing to do with dedication.
              RPI '08

Comment

Ed Weaver's preview http://www.troyrecord.com/articles/2...mode=fullstory.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

If there's no attempt made to put something together, even during the thanksgiving tournament WHEN THE DORMS ARE STILL OPEN, and it's simply based upon an assumption that students won't be there, then it has to do with the band giving a ****.

Give me a few examples of when there hasn't been a band. If those games were during breaks then I've already explained myself.
                  Junior National Team game. School was still in session. Also, how about the weekend before classes start, especially last year? The dorms are open then. Thanksgiving, the dorms remain open.

Agreed that it's a failure, but not that the band doesn't care when it's not convenient. Travel, lodging, and money are all big hurdles to get over. If the Institute provided any of these things for the band I'd be more inclined to agree with you. But they don't. It's usually tough to get even a small band for break games because of this, and that has nothing to do with dedication.
                  With local and semi-local band members (my travel distance was about the same as RC, and I would still make an attempt to drive down and attend, and I would have also offered rides for semi-local band members, even if it meant going out of my way so that they could attend), at least put the question out. If it was asked and there wasn't enough interest to warrant a band, I would find that acceptable. The alumni don't HAVE to be asked, because the band does belong to the current students. Would I think it's a nice gesture to ask alumni to attend when numbers are low? Sure.
                  Last edited by FlagDUDE08; 01-07-2011, 05:41 AM.

Comment

I thought we ended the band discussion yesterday. Maybe there needs to be a separate thread started on USCHBands.com. Then we could have some hockey players post with comments like a lack of hard work in practice all week makes them unworthy of having bands attend.

Wish I could attend the games this weekend but my son's hockey schedule won't let that happen. I hope we win and that no one gets hurt - especially the tuba player!

Comment

Originally posted by jmhusker View Post

Wish I could attend the games this weekend but my son's hockey schedule won't let that happen. I hope we win and that no one gets hurt - especially the tuba player!

This clearly shows a lack of dedication on your part.
                      Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Anyone from the Albany area have a status report on I-88? Before I decide if I'm going to leave work and haul *** to make it to Troy by 7:30, I'd like to know if I even have a prayer of pulling it off.

Ticket availability would be good to know as well, but I'm thinking Union tickets might be harder to get than RPI just because of the size of Houston and the lack of students.
                        Last edited by StayPuftMMcu; 01-07-2011, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by StayPuftMMcu View Post
                          Anyone from the Albany area have a status report on I-88? Before I decide if I'm going to leave work and haul *** to make it to Troy by 7:30, I'd like to know if I even have a prayer of pulling it off.

Ticket availability would be good to know as well, but I'm thinking Union tickets might be harder to get than RPI just because of the size of Houston and the lack of students.
                          Don't know about I-88, but whn I left for my internship in Schenectady (which is where I-88 begins/ends), there was just the beginning of acumulation of snow. We're expected to get 3-8" of snow in the immediate Capital District, but a litle bit more to the west. I wouldn't haul a**, as there is almost ALWAYS snow/ice/rain/sleet/whatever on I-81 heading South (as you probably know.) Good luck.
                          Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

I'm headed from Binghamton, not Potsdam :P If I was at Clarkson I wouldn't be anywhere near 88. Thanks for the information though! Hopefully I can track down ticket info and get there.

Comment

As am I, but unless you're still playing with the band I don't consider you affiliated with it.
                              So therefore, while your opinion is valid, mine is invalid, because I am proffering criticism while you are nothing but sunshine and rainbows.

You said the band shows up to more games than anyone but "the players and the most diehard fans." I proved you wrong.

Probably because I failed so much at writing what I meant to say - that the band giving a **** is more than just the Clarkson game.
                              Even if you wrote what you meant to say, it would still be wrong based on the other numerous times the band has failed to show up. They couldn't even be bothered to make it to Schenectady last season for not just one, but TWO games there. That's nothing short of pathetic.

You haven't explained anything, you've only offered up excuses.

Clarification on my part, and wild speculation on your part. You don't know why they weren't planning on being there.
                              Oh, but you do, and your excuses have made it OK.

Show me. I see nothing.
                              Yes, that's apparent.

Well then, mission accomplished.
                              You're going to make this claim when you still have yet to explain why it's acceptable for there to be no band for a home game that the opposition is bringing a band for? Congratulations. You're exactly the poster boy for the band the way it currently exists.

Agreed that it's a failure, but not that the band doesn't care when it's not convenient. Travel, lodging, and money are all big hurdles to get over.
                              Not if you're dedicated. I can't count the number of times I provided each of these on my own to participate in a road weekend or a break weekend.

If the Institute provided any of these things for the band I'd be more inclined to agree with you. But they don't. It's usually tough to get even a small band for break games because of this, and that has nothing to do with dedication.
                              So unless someone puts money in your outstretched hand, nothing's going to happen. Boy, was I wrong. That's clearly dedication right there. Wowee.

Comment

Originally posted by jmhusker View Post
                                I thought we ended the band discussion yesterday. Maybe there needs to be a separate thread started on USCHBands.com. Then we could have some hockey players post with comments like a lack of hard work in practice all week makes them unworthy of having bands attend.
                                Please, keep whining. It is an endearing trait. Or don't, since I've just done what you should have done instead - just put those people having a conversation you don't care about on ignore.

Comment

Working...
                                X