Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Maximum games per season in Div I?

Originally posted by MagnessMan View Post
    Interesting thread. Here's a question. On Thursday the Hall of Fame Game is being played (isn't it usually at the beginning of the season between NC opponents?) This year it's between UND and UMD two WCHA teams. It's listed as a NC game and I'm told it won't count in the WCHA standings. Strange.
    Probably because their quota of in-conference gmes are already being fulfilled with the 34, and as an extra one, they do NC. ECAC non-ivies play each other in NC games all the time.

Comment

I slogged through the NCAA regs and don't find any prohibition against playing a "professional" team.

Does anyone know of instances where an NCAA team played a game or games against a professional team?

I'd really like to see UAA play the ECHL Alaska Aces in a couple of mid-season exhibitions and would work to make something like that happen.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
        I slogged through the NCAA regs and don't find any prohibition against playing a "professional" team.

Does anyone know of instances where an NCAA team played a game or games against a professional team?

I'd really like to see UAA play the ECHL Alaska Aces in a couple of mid-season exhibitions and would work to make something like that happen.
        I'm sure there were some instances in the distant past where teams would play professional teams. However, I'm sure the schedules don't allow for this to happen on both sides.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
          I'm sure there were some instances in the distant past where teams would play professional teams. However, I'm sure the schedules don't allow for this to happen on both sides.
          I don't know about other schools but I know UAA's schedule could fit such a game or series in easily. As for the Aces, due to geography they have a somewhat unique schedule in their league as well and I'd expect they'd be able to schedule such an event. I have no clue whether they'd be interested in playing the game(s) but that's not a question for here.

So that just leaves the question of whether or not such a game or series would bump up against any NCAA regulations. As I noted, I didn't see any prohibition against it in the NCAA regs. I hoped that someone more well versed than I with the rule book would be able to speak to that.

Comment

There is no rule against it as far as I know. Years ago (50s and 60s) the University of Michigan would play the Detroit Red Wings each year.

This happens other in sports, too.

The Philadelphia Phillies open spring training this year with a game against Florida State.

Denver lacrosse has played the Denver Outlaws (MLL), and Denver Soccer has played the Colorado Rapids (MLS) in recent exhibitions. Denver basketball played six pro team on a Spanish tour last summer. Michigan Tech hockey played a bunch of European pro teams this summer.
            Last edited by Puck Swami; 12-28-2010, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post

Way back on Oct 17 1977, Bowling Green played an exhibition game at home against the Toledo Goaldiggers (then members of the old International Hockey League). I don't remember the details, but there were so many fights, that the game was stopped after two periods. 'Offically' recorded as a 1-0 forfeit in BG's favor. It was a total blood-bath...like the 3rd period of the final game in 'Slapshot'. PS-college players didn't wear cages or face shields in those days.
                Du hockey comme dans le temps!

Comment

Working...
                X